View Poll Results: Am I being politically correct in the example given?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is PC

    20 46.51%
  • No, that is not PC

    14 32.56%
  • Maybe, there is not enough information

    8 18.60%
  • I have no idea

    1 2.33%
Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 286

Thread: Politically Correct?

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    thank you.
    no problem.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Politically Correct?

    I learned a long time ago that oriental is used to describe objects, just like occidental is. Do we call people from North America and Europe "occidental"?

    In the grand scheme though I don't really care too much, unless someone informs me that they wish to be referred to as something else.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    She didn't say "words that are offensive". She said "words that you know" are offensive meaning that if you know they are offensive to the person and you still use them, you are being a child.
    You can't worry that someone, somewhere just might get offended by something you say. People are offended by all kinds of absurd things all the time. I don't say things specifically to offend, but I can't take into account every person on the planet who might see or hear what I say. Like it or not, there is no right whatsoever not to be offended. People who spend their time being offended might want to take a look in the mirror to discover the reason why.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #34
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    01-19-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    358

    Re: Politically Correct?

    I believe a level of intent needs to be considered. If Other Person says oriental instead of Asian and you correct him, the question is: why did you correct him? Is it to inform him of simple definitions? Or is it because he was being (potentially) offensive? If correcting him because of definition and preventing the (potential) offense was a byproduct, which you also pointed out, then I'd say you were just being literal. It would be no different than correcting grammar and the world should thank you for reducing ignorance.

  5. #35
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Because it's idiotic to tippy-toe around people's silly sensibilities. People should have more important things to get excited about and if they don't, there's something wrong with them.

    Besides that political correctness is nothing but thought engineering, that sometimes results in trampling on our liberties.
    Exactly. There's such a wide variety of things to be offended about these days, it's difficult to keep up with.

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    polite people respect others and their sensibilities.
    Depends how you define "polite." Does one have to be politically correct in order to be polite. I don't believe that.

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    cool, and let's not pretend that using words you know are offensive to others is anything but childish. which is perfectly ok on an internet forum.
    It's childish to be overly sensitive, and then to expect others to conform to your expectations. Not only is it childish, but it is also egotistical.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You can't worry that someone, somewhere just might get offended by something you say. People are offended by all kinds of absurd things all the time. I don't say things specifically to offend, but I can't take into account every person on the planet who might see or hear what I say. Like it or not, there is no right whatsoever not to be offended. People who spend their time being offended might want to take a look in the mirror to discover the reason why.
    I never said that you should "take into account every person on the planet". I never said that "there is a right to be offended". I never said anything about "people who spend their time being offended". People who spend their time responding to arguments that have never been made might want to take a look in the mirror and discover the reason why.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    It's childish to be overly sensitive, and then to expect others to conform to your expectations. Not only is it childish, but it is also egotistical.
    It's pretty childish and egotistical to treat other people however you feel like treating them without considering how they prefer to be treated which seems to be the MO of most people who complain about political correctness.

  8. #38
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We have had a few discussions on the topic of politically correct topics lately, and it reminded me of a conversation on these boards from quite some time ago. I cannot remember what the discussion was about so the other person will remain nameless and hopefully unidentifiable. Who it is is not important. What I am going to ask is if I was being politically correct in this discussion.

    Conversation: something about Asians, some one calls Asians "oriental", another person points out that properly, the correct term is Asian.

    Me: I learned some time ago that Asian refers to people, Oriental to objects, so I always use Asian

    Other person: You are just being Politically Correct.

    Me: I don't think I am, it is effortless on my part to say Asian and I then don't have to worry about offending any one accidentally.

    Other Person: Exactly, you are trying not to offend, so you are being PC.

    Now, obviously this is somewhat paraphrased and condensed from a longer conversation. What I want to know though, is in the example I gave as I gave it, am I being Politically Correct to use the term Asian instead of Oriental?
    I have a Korean co-worker that uses the term "oriental". I believe I remember that thread and believe I said this then. So to me, using either term is acceptable; however making a change to 'asian', for the sake of not offending someone, is being PC.

    Me: I learned some time ago that Asian refers to people, Oriental to objects, so I always use Asian
    In this context you are not being PC.
    Last edited by American; 11-30-11 at 01:39 PM.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #39
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Politically Correct?

    I think it depends on the word and what context it is being used in, and why it is being corrected as to whether it is PC or not to correct it.

    I can see correcting the usage of the words "Oriental" vice "Asian" without it being a PC thing.

    I think the biggest issue I have is when a word can be used multiple ways or has changed meaning or been used differently, and people are trying to recreate racism or an old term into racism that really isn't used in such a way today. An example would be the word "gypped". Today, people say "I got gypped" all the time without any thought to where that particular word got its meaning or what group it used to be used to put down. I think it is stupid to say that it is racist because it used to refer to gypsies conning or tricking people during transactions. Now, people just take it to mean being "tricked" in general, no matter who is doing it, and without any belief that a gypsy today would trick them.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #40
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,156

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I think it depends on the word and what context it is being used in, and why it is being corrected as to whether it is PC or not to correct it.

    I can see correcting the usage of the words "Oriental" vice "Asian" without it being a PC thing.

    I think the biggest issue I have is when a word can be used multiple ways or has changed meaning or been used differently, and people are trying to recreate racism or an old term into racism that really isn't used in such a way today. An example would be the word "gypped". Today, people say "I got gypped" all the time without any thought to where that particular word got its meaning or what group it used to be used to put down. I think it is stupid to say that it is racist because it used to refer to gypsies conning or tricking people during transactions. Now, people just take it to mean being "tricked" in general, no matter who is doing it, and without any belief that a gypsy today would trick them.
    let's try another, similar expression

    if you got 'jewed' in a negotiation with someone (in this example, let's say a moslem)
    this is a common/wide-spread expression (tho possibly antiquated)
    would you find that an acceptable term today?
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •