View Poll Results: Am I being politically correct in the example given?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is PC

    20 46.51%
  • No, that is not PC

    14 32.56%
  • Maybe, there is not enough information

    8 18.60%
  • I have no idea

    1 2.33%
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 286

Thread: Politically Correct?

  1. #211
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I didn't say I don't conform. I said I don't feel forced to conform and that I choose my own behavior rather than giving into pressure.

    As far as this applies to me, my reasons for not saying the bigoted words and phrases you're talking about is because I have no interest in saying them anymore than I have an interest in speaking French everyday. It has nothing to do with conformity.

    I want to reiterate a point I made in the post you quoted that I don't feel anymore forced to conform by the PC crowd than I do the anti-PC crowd. You seem intent on focusing only on the former as if they are the only ones who are "sensitive" and "touchy". In fact, the anti-PC crowd is just as sensitive and forceful since they too complain about how people speak and try to control other people's behavior. The groups are just two sides of the same coin.
    You're making too absolute and broad a statement. I won't presume to know what's in your head but to say you're an unadulterated original that has never felt forced to conform one iota is either disingenuous or unrealistic. There are too many examples of social interaction that usually include some form of coerced conformity it's called compromise. From school, military, employment to dating we all give in sometimes with few if any exceptions. OK I get it an anti-PC crowd by definition would be another PC crowd and you and I are from the Original crowd

  2. #212
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    You're making too absolute and broad a statement. I won't presume to know what's in your head but to say you're an unadulterated original that has never felt forced to conform one iota is either disingenuous or unrealistic.
    You're just twisting my words again which means you have one more chance before you're out.

    I never said that I'm "an unadulterated original that has never felt forced to conform". I said "I don't feel forced to conform" and "I haven't since high school (more likely early college though)". First, I wouldn't call myself original because there a lot of people like me. Second, I said, "I don't". I didn't say, "I never" which you decided to distort my words into. So yes the argument that you imagined I made would be disingenuous and unrealistic so it's a good thing I didn't make it.

    There are too many examples of social interaction that usually include some form of coerced conformity it's called compromise. From school, military, employment to dating we all give in sometimes with few if any exceptions.
    And again, I never said that I don't conform. In fact, I said that I do conform when I choose to do so.

    /waiting to see if you'll actually address my words instead of distorting them

  3. #213
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    You're just twisting my words again which means you have one more chance before you're out.

    I never said that I'm "an unadulterated original that has never felt forced to conform". I said "I don't feel forced to conform" and "I haven't since high school (more likely early college though)". First, I wouldn't call myself original because there a lot of people like me. Second, I said, "I don't". I didn't say, "I never" which you decided to distort my words into. So yes the argument that you imagined I made would be disingenuous and unrealistic so it's a good thing I didn't make it.


    And again, I never said that I don't conform. In fact, I said that I do conform when I choose to do so.

    /waiting to see if you'll actually address my words instead of distorting them
    You're literally hurting my head but at least it's fun! Ok, what was the original point you're making? Oh that's right you don't feel forced to conform or be an outcast. Really I'm not trying to twist your words so much as understand your position on PC. I think when you say "I don't feel forced to conform and haven't since high school" is what you believe but it's possible that you have in some form and not been completely aware that you were bending? I don't think you mean an absolute to every conceivable situation. I remember a song by the group Rush called "Subdivisions" that sort of addressed this topic, so I'm not alone in my presumption. And actually we're all an original as far as being unique really hope there aren't two of me. But I think PC or anti-PC is worse than anytime I remember in the past and I'm not much of a fan.

  4. #214
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    You'd be surprised how much we all conform and don't even realize it, unless you live in a vacuum.
    You seem to misunderstand. I never said I don't confrom. I said that when I do conform, I do so by choice. HUGE difference.

    I guarantee very few if any openly say the bigoted words that were acceptable or rarely challenged in my youth (way back). Women were barefooted, pregnant, in the kitchen and didn't mess in men's business and most minorities were addressed with racial slurs.
    If they don't say the words, they make that choice. If they want to say the words, but feel as though they will be outcasts for doing so thus abstain form using those words, then they are just cowards.

    It was a dominant Caucasian, male society and they all conformed since the 70's or ended up in fights on a daily basis or lost their jobs.
    If they conformed despite their desire to not conform because non-conformity had consequences they didn't like, then they are cowards who chose to act like cowards. Simple as that.

    If they chose to conform because they figured conformity was superior to non-conformity and have no problem with their choice to conform, then they again,m made th echoice to conform.

    Nobody forced them to do anything in either scenario.

    Even if they lost their job by their non-conformity, that would simply be their employers' exercising their rights.

    Choices have consequences.

    I don't say certain words simply because I don't want a bunch of crap or problems over it. And truthfully I try to be socially polite to a certain point because I appreciate it in return.
    So you chose to conform. What's the problem? Are you regretting your choice?

    Though I agree about one thing you can control the amount you "conform" mentally by avoiding and not addressing the issues that the PC crowd are so sensitive too. I do not talk about the things that make people "touchy" not because I don't agree but because it's annoyingly unimportant IMO.
    You choose to conform or you choose to not conform. Nobody forces anyone to conform. That's just victim-mentality nonsense.

  5. #215
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    ...but to say you're an unadulterated original that has never felt forced to conform one iota is either disingenuous or unrealistic.
    That's simply false. I have never felt forced to conform for the simple fact that I am not a coward who fears the ramifications of my choices. Only a coward who would rather play the victim instead of facing reality would feel "forced" to conform to societies norms. If you were to rephrase your comments to say "pressured" rather than "forced" there would be some truth to them, but since you have chosen to use the word "force" they are completely false.

  6. #216
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Politically Correct?

    You are not being "politically correct" unless you are making an effort to not offend, IMO. Otherwise you are just correct.

    The alternative to being politically correct is being an asshole (or ignorant). I know which I would rather be.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  7. #217
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    You're literally hurting my head but at least it's fun! Ok, what was the original point you're making? Oh that's right you don't feel forced to conform or be an outcast. Really I'm not trying to twist your words so much as understand your position on PC. I think when you say "I don't feel forced to conform and haven't since high school" is what you believe but it's possible that you have in some form and not been completely aware that you were bending? I don't think you mean an absolute to every conceivable situation. I remember a song by the group Rush called "Subdivisions" that sort of addressed this topic, so I'm not alone in my presumption. And actually we're all an original as far as being unique really hope there aren't two of me. But I think PC or anti-PC is worse than anytime I remember in the past and I'm not much of a fan.
    I'm quite aware of my actions and my choices and of the people around me. Like I said, I don't feel forced to conform. I choose my behavior.

  8. #218
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I still remember this popular t shirt that said: "It's a black thing. You wouldn't understand." I guess it's the same concept.
    I am sure that is correct. I think that it really all boils down to intent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #219
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    This is pretty much how I feel now. It's all turned into a bunch of back slapping, feel good, smiley nonsense. Of all the serious problems in life I don't put much thought into using the proper terms anymore. I don't even really understand the whole thing anyway, except I have experienced discrimination and that just pisses you off because it's unfair.
    It is just about people being upset about labels that describe them being mainstreamed in a negative way... and that is the problem. That will never change. You call a guy you don't respect a retard... then it is special needs... then it is mentally handicapped... it is already an insult to use the most modern term mentally challenged. What is next?

    ...and I am not sure what you meant by the part from "except" on...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #220
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,861

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    That's simply false. I have never felt forced to conform for the simple fact that I am not a coward who fears the ramifications of my choices. Only a coward who would rather play the victim instead of facing reality would feel "forced" to conform to societies norms. If you were to rephrase your comments to say "pressured" rather than "forced" there would be some truth to them, but since you have chosen to use the word "force" they are completely false.
    I agree with you and TPD but his point has some merit, just not a really valid one. We conform subconsciously in little ways and much of it is kinda brain washed into us. Standing in line at the bank. I doubt any of us have a sound and logical thought process about it. We see the line and get in it. Who says, every time they enter into the bank, I am making a conscious choice to stand in line knowing that I could walk to the front or stand outside the rope and still expect others to know and respoect my place in line, etc etc. Regarding the point of being politically correct though, and not being afraid to voice our thoughts, I agree with you guys... I do. I really do agree. Please will you be my friend again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •