View Poll Results: Am I being politically correct in the example given?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is PC

    20 46.51%
  • No, that is not PC

    14 32.56%
  • Maybe, there is not enough information

    8 18.60%
  • I have no idea

    1 2.33%
Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 286

Thread: Politically Correct?

  1. #191
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Absolutely. Have you forgotten that it was you that said: "Don't people realize that dividing ourselves into groups such as race only furthers our problems as a species?"

    If that is your view, then you absolutely, positively have to be of the belief that the entire concept and application of countries would need to be abandoned. Nations are, by their very nature, dividing ourselves up into groups. National borders are nothing more than imaginary lines. They don't exist in reality. The only thing that separates the US from Mexico or Canada is belief. It only takes a war to change the location of those imaginary lines. In fact, that has happened quite a few times.



    Ask a Chechnyan.




    Why? Because you're the one doing it this time?

    I again refer to your previous quote: "Don't people realize that dividing ourselves into groups such as race only furthers our problems as a species?"

    Please explain how your views about dividing ourselves up into national groups is not utterly and completely hypocritical. To me it seems like you are only whining about what other people do to divide themselves up. When you do it, it's just peachy keen. Because, teh fact that you are the one doing it is a huge difference, right?








    I actually saw it, but I wanted to point out the irony.
    I have already said that I do not agree with division by nationality, and yet we can't simply erase the borders that do exist. And I;ll admit that I don't support a one world government, so countries and nationalities are a fact of life. But it is not what makes us human.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  2. #192
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    ...And I;ll admit that I don't support a one world government...
    So you support an even more divisive grouping than race which has done far more to further our problems as a species, but basically demonize people for acknowledging their cultural heritage.

    Doesn't make sense to me. Acknowledging the differences between groups isn't the problem. Never has been.

    The real problem is when one group decides that the other groups activities need to be curbed and then tries to enforce it's will upon the other group.

    Ironically, this is done by both the uber-PC crown AND the uber-anti-PC crowd. The PC crowd wants everyone to use "touchy-feely" language all the time while the uber-anti-PC crowd goes ape**** over what people want to call themselves.

    To me, both of these groups are the problem because they refuse to tolerate other people being other people. So, ultimately, dividing people into groups is not the problem. It only becomes a problem when those groups decide to arbitrarily hate each other.

  3. #193
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    So you support an even more divisive grouping than race which has done far more to further our problems as a species, but basically demonize people for acknowledging their cultural heritage.

    Doesn't make sense to me. Acknowledging the differences between groups isn't the problem. Never has been.

    The real problem is when one group decides that the other groups activities need to be curbed and then tries to enforce it's will upon the other group.

    Ironically, this is done by both the uber-PC crown AND the uber-anti-PC crowd. The PC crowd wants everyone to use "touchy-feely" language all the time while the uber-anti-PC crowd goes ape**** over what people want to call themselves.

    To me, both of these groups are the problem because they refuse to tolerate other people being other people. So, ultimately, dividing people into groups is not the problem. It only becomes a problem when those groups decide to arbitrarily hate each other.
    So what do you suggest? End all borders and countries? A one world government? What?
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  4. #194
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    So what do you suggest? End all borders and countries? A one world government? What?
    Well, I disagree with the primary premise you use to argue against labeling one's self "African-American" so I am not logically required to take that premise it's logical conclusion of abolishing all "divisive groupings of humans".

    My premise is that diversity is not, nor has it ever been, the problem. Intolerance towards diversity and arrogant beliefs about supremacy within certain groups have always been the real culprits.

    But those things cannot be "fixed". They're part of human nature.

    I've personally given up on trying to fix the world. I can only influence a very small area, so I focus my efforts on that small area. If I can change on person's perspective away from those attitudes, I have done my part in improving the world.

  5. #195
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Well, I disagree with the primary premise you use to argue against labeling one's self "African-American" so I am not logically required to take that premise it's logical conclusion of abolishing all "divisive groupings of humans".

    My premise is that diversity is not, nor has it ever been, the problem. Intolerance towards diversity and arrogant beliefs about supremacy within certain groups have always been the real culprits.

    But those things cannot be "fixed". They're part of human nature.

    I've personally given up on trying to fix the world. I can only influence a very small area, so I focus my efforts on that small area. If I can change on person's perspective away from those attitudes, I have done my part in improving the world.
    You've made a good point here. And yet I have to ask: why is it that people feel the need to take pride in their differences? The people who insist on making others acknowledge their heritage are likely doing it out of a since of pride. Does that not divide people? And why is it important for someone to be acknowledged as "African-American" or whatever?
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  6. #196
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    You've made a good point here. And yet I have to ask: why is it that people feel the need to take pride in their differences? The people who insist on making others acknowledge their heritage are likely doing it out of a since of pride. Does that not divide people? And why is it important for someone to be acknowledged as "African-American" or whatever?
    I don't think taking pride in ones culture is celebrating differences as much as diversity. Feeling connected to your heritage through traditions and practices can bring a since of belonging and oneness. The world is a richer place by far for the variety that different peoples bring to our experiences. The problems do occur when cultures clash over petty differences rather than finding ways of sharing common values. Becoming intolerant and over sensitive insisting on being referred to by a certain racial or cultural label. PC born of insecurity is a method of overbearing conformity, excessively controlling public speech through censorship. As if life isn't difficult enough without worrying if everyone will like us for talking nice? Pee-yew!

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Politically Correct?

    I just love it when people discuss this issue.

    Tell me, when it comes to being politically correct, who decides, exactly, what is correct?

    While we're at it, how about I list some examples of political correctness gone stupid?

  8. #198
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    You've made a good point here. And yet I have to ask: why is it that people feel the need to take pride in their differences? The people who insist on making others acknowledge their heritage are likely doing it out of a since of pride. Does that not divide people? And why is it important for someone to be acknowledged as "African-American" or whatever?
    The thing to remember is that the cultural differences between groups exists with or without overtly acknowledging them. Cultural differences are impossible to prevent because we only have a small amount of people that we can interact with directly. While humanity is less isolated than it has ever been before, the nature of humans to align with each other into smaller groups, or tribes, is a part of what has allowed us to survive and thrive as a species. We are social creatures and we need to feel as though we belong to a pack or tribe.

    But an ambiguously defined pack of "humanity as a while" doesn't satisfy this need. We need to feel that sense of belonging on a smaller, more concrete level. We create these alignments according to our cultural similarities, for the most part. Nowadays, in the absence of the extreme isolation of the past, those packs have the potential to reach much larger sizes than previously possible. People will align with a pack or packs based on their similarities to the other members of those packs. Shared history, shared language, cultural values, etc. Sometimes, those things coincide with shared physical characteristics, sometimes they do not.

    In the case of self-identifying as an African-American, for example, there is the incidental aspect of shared physical characteristics, but the real impetus for this identification is the shared cultural history, language, and values. The same is true for people who identify as Irish-American, or simply as an American, for that matter. Physical aspects are far less of a factor in these groupings than the cultural aspects are. think about it.

    When you pick someone whom you wish to associate with, you can (and probably will) totally ignore physical characteristics. You'll probably focus more on their traditions, values, and the other social characteristics which the two of you may share. People generally don't enjoy associating with someone they have little to nothing in common with. They may not dislike the other person, but they aren't likely to bond with them without a decent amount of common ground either.

    This is basically what causes that group formation. The differences have to exist before the groupings can even occur. So giving name to the groups does not act as a divisive factor. The divisions pre-date the names for them.

  9. #199
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    How many of you really hate PC but feel forced to conform or be an outcast?

  10. #200
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We have had a few discussions on the topic of politically correct topics lately, and it reminded me of a conversation on these boards from quite some time ago. I cannot remember what the discussion was about so the other person will remain nameless and hopefully unidentifiable. Who it is is not important. What I am going to ask is if I was being politically correct in this discussion.

    Conversation: something about Asians, some one calls Asians "oriental", another person points out that properly, the correct term is Asian.

    Me: I learned some time ago that Asian refers to people, Oriental to objects, so I always use Asian

    Other person: You are just being Politically Correct.

    Me: I don't think I am, it is effortless on my part to say Asian and I then don't have to worry about offending any one accidentally.

    Other Person: Exactly, you are trying not to offend, so you are being PC.

    Now, obviously this is somewhat paraphrased and condensed from a longer conversation. What I want to know though, is in the example I gave as I gave it, am I being Politically Correct to use the term Asian instead of Oriental?
    PC is just a whine that rightwingers shout when they're called out for their bigotry
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •