View Poll Results: Am I being politically correct in the example given?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is PC

    20 46.51%
  • No, that is not PC

    14 32.56%
  • Maybe, there is not enough information

    8 18.60%
  • I have no idea

    1 2.33%
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 286

Thread: Politically Correct?

  1. #171
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Who gives a ****?

    We live in a country that calls themselves "American" despite the fact that there are a ****load of people in other countries on two continents that can accurately make that claim. What do we care about accuracy, equality and description?

    The fact is, we don't. It only comes up when we don't like someone else's innacuracies that don't make a lick of difference in the real world.
    There's no law that says you can't be an asshole. But there is no reason you have to be one either. And no law that says anyone has to like or dislike an asshole. So, quit whinning if your an asshole and someone calls you one for soig something assholish.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #172
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    You just spent this entire post lying about me. Is that how you support your arguments? Distorting people's posts and then lying about the actual poster. And then you'll whine about "personal attacks". Guess what? Lying about someone and trying to frame them in a negative light by distorting their actual arguments rather than listening to their clarifications is a personal attack, so you get points for distortion, hyperbole, false memory, lying and hypocrisy. Congratulations.
    You are doing nothing more here but attempting to bring doubt upon your actual position on political correctness.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I also want to point out how funny it is that you have such a selective memory about the past. You remember the immigration thread from a while ago, but you don't remember when you and me were BOTH being attacked by Kali for using the non-PC word "retard" and how we BOTH used the same argument that people should be able to say what they want and not have to abide by other people's PC wishes. But I guess you only remember (and then distort) conversations that allow you to attack other people without reason.
    This part of your post only shows your inconsistency. You have a problems with terms such as "illegal" or "anchor baby," but you freely use words like retard.

    You have proven nothing here. Moving on...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    When a group was excluded from being "just American" for the vast majority of the existence of the country, it's kind of hard (and not to mention exceptionally stupid) to expect them to fall into step with the mainstream culture they were excluded from for so many decades/centuries.



    If you believe that, why did you say "Can we all not be just American?" instead of "Can we all not be just human?" It makes no sense to deride division into groups while promoting division into groups.
    "American" is only referring to a country/location, not heritage or race. Heritage and race are actual human attributes.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Even if you're not joking, I wouldn't care.
    I'm devastated. No- really.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  3. #173
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    This part of your post only shows your inconsistency. You have a problems with terms such as "illegal" or "anchor baby," but you freely use words like retard.
    You still have no idea what my argument about political correctness is and since you seem determined to not understand the English language, I'll let you win, distort my posts and lie about me since it's clear that's what you need to do in your life right now.

  4. #174
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Your position on political correctness is convoluted. On one hand, you say that words aren't important, but then you say they are. Furthermore, some words are deemed offensive while other words are perfectly acceptable. The subjectivity of this issue is one of the main reasons I don't even bother trying to be politically correct. It's ridiculous.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  5. #175
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    "American" is only referring to a country/location, not heritage or race. Heritage and race are actual human attributes.
    Are you under the misguided impressions that 1 grouping people according to the region they
    Live in is not still grouping people in a divisionary fashion and 2. That there is no American culture and heritage?

    If so on either count, you believe a false premise. If not for both counts, I refer back to my previous post.
    I'm devastated. No- really.
    I don't see why you would be. I made it very clear earlier how I approach political correctness. If I use a word that someone deems offensive, I do so in the absence of giving a **** about their offense. This is nothing personal, it's simply who I am.

  6. #176
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Who could have guessed that a thread about political correctness and courtesy would become so ugly and personal and rude....

    Oh, wait.

  7. #177
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Your position on political correctness is convoluted. On one hand, you say that words aren't important, but then you say they are.
    Words aren't inherently important and nobody needs to be polite or PC. Words are important relative to the reaction you're trying to get from your audience and if you want a positive reaction, then you'll want to use words that don't offend them.

    Furthermore, some words are deemed offensive while other words are perfectly acceptable.
    Yes, that's how language works. Some words are offensive and others are not. For example, "kike" and "retard" may be offensive to some, but "faggot" may not be offensive to the same people. I don't understand why you're treating this like it's a foreign concept.

    The subjectivity of this issue is one of the main reasons I don't even bother trying to be politically correct. It's ridiculous.
    Oh my god. You finally got my point. Subjectivity. A person who finds "anchor baby" stupid might not find "retard" stupid because the meanings we attach to words are subjective. Another person might find "retard" stupid but not "anchor baby". However, both people should not be self-righteous when they get negative reactions to the words they use.

  8. #178
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Who could have guessed that a thread about political correctness and courtesy would become so ugly and personal and rude....

    Oh, wait.
    I think these threads are destined to be the rudest, if only because people use them to prove points.

  9. #179
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Since he just died, here is Patrice O'Neal on political correctness. He hated political correctness, and I have to say, I agree with him.

    Patrice: "I endorse hate speech...Why can't I hate you in speech?"

    NSFW (lots of cursing)
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  10. #180
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    During the Iranian hostage crisis in which dozens of our diplomats were being held, I was Finance Director for a SoCal water district. I was hiring a new accounts receivable clerk, and a Middle-Eastern young man applied. I liked his credentials and the way he handled himself in the interview. He had a very distinct accent, and I could see from his resume dates that he'd only been in the US a few years, so I asked how he liked it here and where he was from. He said he liked it very much, and he was from Persia... but I could see the instant flash of fear in his eyes. I just said, "Welcome to America, you've got the job." I thought he'd faint, lol.

    After he'd worked for me for many months and was comfortable, he said in the break room... in a whisper... "I'm really from Iran, which used to be Persia." I just smiled and said, "I know."

    Sometimes it's frightening to come to a new country that has tense relations with the country from which one just escaped.
    It is frightening moving across the world to ANY country... period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •