View Poll Results: Am I being politically correct in the example given?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is PC

    20 46.51%
  • No, that is not PC

    14 32.56%
  • Maybe, there is not enough information

    8 18.60%
  • I have no idea

    1 2.33%
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 286

Thread: Politically Correct?

  1. #151
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Yes it is being PC for the simple fact that you are saying it so that you don't offend other people. Hence why you added the words that are in bold. It may be effortless for you to say it but the fact that you said what you did, even if you say it in an incidental way shows that it is at the very least in the back of your mind.

    BTW, I've heard several guys say that an oriental woman is very exotic. So no, the word "oriental" is not strictly about items. "Oriental" has more to do with a culture and as such can apply to either people or items.
    Those several guys...they misused the word. Properly they should say Asian women, and it's not "very exotic", it is "very drop dead gorgeous".
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #152
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I don't know. You haven't explained it yet.
    I'm supposed to explain how I've distorted your argument? Interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    But a distortion has a clearly occurred if you think that my "original premise on political correctness in this thread, and in every other thread has been wrong" because I said, "We don't need to do anything." So what is the distortion? Why is my argument "meaningless" because I don't think we need to do anything?
    So now you're saying that political correctness isn't important. ok, nuff said.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  3. #153
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I'm supposed to explain how I've distorted your argument? Interesting.
    Yes, explain why you claimed that my "original premise on political correctness in this thread, and in every other thread has been wrong". The only way you could have arrived at that nonsensical conclusion is if you distorted my arguments. But considering that you refuse to explain yourself, it makes it clear that you've either realized your error or that you are a liar. Good luck with that. It's pretty dishonest to make such claims about other people's posts and then not explain you reasoning.

    So now you're saying that political correctness isn't important. ok, nuff said.
    What? Read it again because you clearly failed the first time.

  4. #154
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Mentally disabled v. retarded. Hearing impaired vs. deaf. African American instead of just black. Obese instead of fat. Asian instead of oriental.. blah! It's all just silly nonsense.
    No, its not...some of these examples are silly, others are not.
    We do need to treat others with more respect, we do need to grow as a people and a nation.
    And I use the term Oriential...no disrespect meant.

  5. #155
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Yes, explain why you claimed that my "original premise on political correctness in this thread, and in every other thread has been wrong". The only way you could have arrived at that nonsensical conclusion is if you distorted my arguments.
    I haven't distorted anything. You have consistently bitched and whined about various terminology I have used in other threads such as the term "illegal." If words are not important as you are now claiming, why does it matter which words I choose?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    But considering that you refuse to explain yourself, it makes it clear that you've either realized your error or that you are a liar.
    And yet another personal attack. Such poor debate tactics.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Good luck with that. It's pretty dishonest to make such claims about other people's posts and then not explain you reasoning.
    This is the third time in this thread I have explained my reasoning to you. Please read for comprehension this time.


    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    What? Read it again because you clearly failed the first time.
    /Reading comprehension.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  6. #156
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I haven't distorted anything. You have consistently bitched and whined about various terminology I have used in other threads such as the term "illegal." If words are not important as you are now claiming, why does it matter which words I choose?
    So now I've finally found the distortions. There are three of them.

    1. I don't "bitch and whine" about terminology. I point out that certain terms have implications and that people who get angry when people react to the use of such terms understand nothing of social interaction. Point #1 for distortion.

    2. I haven't "consistently" done anything with you. I remember the conversation between us you're talking about - you used the term "anchor babies". And yes, it was a single conversation and single conversations don't count as consistently. Point #2 for hyperbole.

    3. You think I care about what words you choose. I don't. Even in the earlier conversation I told you I didn't care about your word choice. I only commented on it after Guy Incognito brought it up.

    My original and consistent point about word choice continues to be relevant: people give meanings to words and if you use words that your audience feels negatively about, then you are choosing to deal with the consequences of the words. Nobody needs to do anything which is why I don't tell people what to say. If you interpret my comments about the relevancy of word choice to social interaction as telling you what to say, then that is your mistake as I've been quite clear with my position.

  7. #157
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We have had a few discussions on the topic of politically correct topics lately, and it reminded me of a conversation on these boards from quite some time ago. I cannot remember what the discussion was about so the other person will remain nameless and hopefully unidentifiable. Who it is is not important. What I am going to ask is if I was being politically correct in this discussion.

    Conversation: something about Asians, some one calls Asians "oriental", another person points out that properly, the correct term is Asian.

    Me: I learned some time ago that Asian refers to people, Oriental to objects, so I always use Asian

    Other person: You are just being Politically Correct.

    Me: I don't think I am, it is effortless on my part to say Asian and I then don't have to worry about offending any one accidentally.

    Other Person: Exactly, you are trying not to offend, so you are being PC.

    Now, obviously this is somewhat paraphrased and condensed from a longer conversation. What I want to know though, is in the example I gave as I gave it, am I being Politically Correct to use the term Asian instead of Oriental?
    My mother would call that being polite. I wouldn't put political correctness with its negative conotations in the same category as being polite.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #158
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,774

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    No, its not...some of these examples are silly, others are not.
    We do need to treat others with more respect, we do need to grow as a people and a nation.
    And I use the term Oriential...no disrespect meant.
    Unfortunately, people are so bloody thin-skinned that things not intended as disrespectful are often taken that way, even when there's no rational reason whatsoever to take them that way. Instead of treating people with false respect, people need to grow the hell up and get over themselves and deal with reality. Political correctness just turns us into a nation of whining pussies.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #159
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Wanting to be called African-American isn't really stupid or silly, though. I see people up in arms over that one all the time.

    It's certainly not like that moron who got pissed off because another guy said something about black holes. That's silly and stupid. In fact, I'd use the non-PC term of "retard" to describe that moron in a heartbeat.

    But that tard getting all up in arms over the term "black hole" is certainly not worth getting mad over. It's certainly laughable, though. Hell, you usually have to pay for that kind of funny ****, and that assclown was handing it out for free.
    And you've hit on something I haven't seen anyone really acknowledge here. Just as with everything else, there are degrees of being PC. I don't think African-American or Native-American are silly or stupid either, but when some people were up in arms over Rick Perry using the term "black cloud" to describe the economy or when Newt called Obama the "food stamp president", that's when it gets ridiculous and gives the whole notion of being PC a bad rap.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We have had a few discussions on the topic of politically correct topics lately, and it reminded me of a conversation on these boards from quite some time ago. I cannot remember what the discussion was about so the other person will remain nameless and hopefully unidentifiable. Who it is is not important. What I am going to ask is if I was being politically correct in this discussion.

    Conversation: something about Asians, some one calls Asians "oriental", another person points out that properly, the correct term is Asian.

    Me: I learned some time ago that Asian refers to people, Oriental to objects, so I always use Asian

    Other person: You are just being Politically Correct.

    Me: I don't think I am, it is effortless on my part to say Asian and I then don't have to worry about offending any one accidentally.

    Other Person: Exactly, you are trying not to offend, so you are being PC.

    Now, obviously this is somewhat paraphrased and condensed from a longer conversation. What I want to know though, is in the example I gave as I gave it, am I being Politically Correct to use the term Asian instead of Oriental?
    No, you are probably not - but the person who originally 'corrected' the user of 'Oriental' certainly is. If, on the other hand, you went further by chastising the user, then you would be pc too. We are free to use whatever terminology we choose within reason, political correctness be damned!

Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •