View Poll Results: Am I being politically correct in the example given?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is PC

    20 46.51%
  • No, that is not PC

    14 32.56%
  • Maybe, there is not enough information

    8 18.60%
  • I have no idea

    1 2.33%
Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 286

Thread: Politically Correct?

  1. #141
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I don't know how you came to that conclusion, but I bet it has something to do with retardation.


    Uh, no, but what do you think my premise is if you came to this nonsensical conclusion?
    Using insults only demonstrate how pathetically wrong you are.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  2. #142
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Using insults only demonstrate how pathetically wrong you are.
    Wrong about what? You said my arguments have been inconsistent. Are you going to explain why or just distort my arguments (which is an insult in itself)?

    Oh and please don't educate me on insults. You're known around here as the queen of insults and rude behavior. Besides, the retardation comment was meant to be ironic given the subject, but you can continue to distort my arguments as much as you want without explanation if you would like.

  3. #143
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    I said you were wrong. And I've already explained why. Feel free to actually read the thread.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  4. #144
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    I said you were wrong. And I've already explained why. Feel free to actually read the thread.
    You actually didn't. You said, "Then your entire argument about being politically correct or polite is meaningless" and "Then you agree that your original premise on political correctness in this thread, and in every other thread has been wrong" without any explanation.

    Feel free to actually explain your positions, particularly when they appear to be based on distortions of other people's arguments.

  5. #145
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    How have I distorted your argument?
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  6. #146
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We have had a few discussions on the topic of politically correct topics lately, and it reminded me of a conversation on these boards from quite some time ago. I cannot remember what the discussion was about so the other person will remain nameless and hopefully unidentifiable. Who it is is not important. What I am going to ask is if I was being politically correct in this discussion.

    Conversation: something about Asians, some one calls Asians "oriental", another person points out that properly, the correct term is Asian.

    Me: I learned some time ago that Asian refers to people, Oriental to objects, so I always use Asian

    Other person: You are just being Politically Correct.

    Me: I don't think I am, it is effortless on my part to say Asian and I then don't have to worry about offending any one accidentally.

    Other Person: Exactly, you are trying not to offend, so you are being PC.

    Now, obviously this is somewhat paraphrased and condensed from a longer conversation. What I want to know though, is in the example I gave as I gave it, am I being Politically Correct to use the term Asian instead of Oriental?
    Yes it is being PC for the simple fact that you are saying it so that you don't offend other people. Hence why you added the words that are in bold. It may be effortless for you to say it but the fact that you said what you did, even if you say it in an incidental way shows that it is at the very least in the back of your mind.

    BTW, I've heard several guys say that an oriental woman is very exotic. So no, the word "oriental" is not strictly about items. "Oriental" has more to do with a culture and as such can apply to either people or items.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #147
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    How have I distorted your argument?
    I don't know. You haven't explained it yet. But a distortion has a clearly occurred if you think that my "original premise on political correctness in this thread, and in every other thread has been wrong" because I said, "We don't need to do anything." So what is the distortion? Why is my argument "meaningless" because I don't think we need to do anything?

  8. #148
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Politically Correct?

    I guess the "retard" thing for me is the biggest example of the line for being PC to avoid being rude/hurtful and being PC just because you want the person to think like you do about certain words.

    I would never use the word "retard" to describe or even around a mentally handicapped person because it is rude and hurtful to them. And I know that I would be upset if I hear others describing people with that word who are mentally handicapped and it is either known to the person or me or it is obvious that the person is not mentally stable/whole.

    I often use the word "retard" to describe dumbasses who do/say something stupid, who should have known better. Yes, it is an insult based on calling someone who is not mentally handicapped basically "mentally handicapped". But, to me, it isn't because I think that non-mentally handicapped people are better than mentally handicapped people. I am generally looking for an insult that fits with the person being a dumbass at the time, and "retard" or "he/she's being retarded" fits. I don't care if it is rude and hurtful to the person I am calling a retard because they would have gotten an insult from me one way or another anyway because of their actions.

    Of course, I have been in a mock-insult match with a friend before in which we were "insulting" one another by calling each other "house wife" and "stay at home mom" because, at the time, neither of us had any desire to be those things because liked what we were doing and the independence we had. I am currently a stay at home mom but still wouldn't be insulted if I heard someone else in a similar position that I was then and being involved in a similar insult match because I would understand that it is simply not something that they want to be at that time.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #149
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    BTW, I've heard several guys say that an oriental woman is very exotic. So no, the word "oriental" is not strictly about items. "Oriental" has more to do with a culture and as such can apply to either people or items.
    Yeah, if they're talking about how "oriental women" are "exotic"... they're still talking about objects.

  10. #150
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Korimir View Post
    Yeah, if they're talking about how "oriental women" are "exotic"... they're still talking about objects.
    Depends on how you mean it. If you just mean it in a physical way (ex: damn they're so hot I want to boink em!) then I would agree with ya. But it could also include how that woman acts, her mannerisms, how she goes about her life as far as adhering to her culture etc etc.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •