View Poll Results: Am I being politically correct in the example given?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, that is PC

    20 46.51%
  • No, that is not PC

    14 32.56%
  • Maybe, there is not enough information

    8 18.60%
  • I have no idea

    1 2.33%
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 286

Thread: Politically Correct?

  1. #101
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty much the definition of PC. Modifying behaviour so as not to give unnecessary and unintended offence.
    Most people now use PC not to mean simple politeness, but to describe politeness gone to ridiculous extremes. For instance, calling someone who is short "height-challenged."

    This has led to crying wolf situation, and it has allowed rude jerks to whine "PC!" even when they are simply being rude.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  2. #102
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Dividing ourselves into races does not further our problems. Attaching meanings to races causes problems. Otherwise, race is just a convenient way to describe people.
    Describing doesn't divide. Insisting on being labeled a certain way in order to take pride in one's race most certainly does.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  3. #103
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Describing doesn't divide. Insisting on being labeled a certain way in order to take pride in one's race most certainly does.
    No. You are attributing way too much power to words.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Describing doesn't divide. Insisting on being labeled a certain way in order to take pride in one's race most certainly does.
    Redress said it best. You're attributing way to much power to words. I live in the same world as you where people want to be called X, Y and Z. Nothing in their preferences has created more divisions in my world. It divides if you choose to make it so.

  5. #105
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No. You are attributing way too much power to words.
    Less than the other person insisting on a specific label?

  6. #106
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Again, I point out that the question in this poll has nothing to do with the reaction, but with the choice of action. Is it PC to choose to use a term, like Asian, so as not to risk offending people? The actual reaction is irrelevant to the question.

    And yes, I understand the legality of assault over verbal provocation, and to my mind the black guy doing the assaulting has no room to complain about getting arrested, just as the person using nigger has no room to complain about the assault. We are all responsible for our actions, and blaming others for them is childish.
    You're asking if you choosing to not use an inoffensive word based on the risk of someone being offended by that word is you being PC? I'd have to say yes, however, I don't think it's a bad or silly thing. Not in the case of your specific example anyway. I say Asian too. It just seems more...uh...grown up.


    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Please show me where I "complained" about a lack of "common courtesy" in this post and please show me where I said that it's not okay to use politically incorrect terms like retard.
    Well let's see,

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    No, it's not being politically correct because Asians aren't objects. It's just "correct".

    Another point, I find it a bit annoying and even more damaging to society than actual political correctness that people are now referring to manners as political correctness seemingly as means to excuse themselves from the common courtesy of respecting people and being polite. I consider it much more damaging to go around saying things to purposely offend people than to use language that facilitates conversation.

    It seems to me that most of the people who complain relentlessly about political correctness are just social retards who never learned the importance of language and don't want to take responsibility for the reactions they get from people.
    So describing "going around saying things to purposely offend people" as "annoying" and "damaging" and lamenting those who "excuse themselves from common courtesy of respecting people and being polite" does not indicate any kind of complaint? Okay, fine, I know you're not going to concede you were complaining (and I don't feel like arguing it in circles with you right now) so let me point this out instead; since you used a term you know is offensive to some, that means you're doing exactly that which you claim you find just so damaging. That was really my whole point on the first place.

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    So describing "going around saying things to purposely offend people" as "annoying" and "damaging" and lamenting those who "excuse themselves from common courtesy of respecting people and being polite" does not indicate any kind of complaint? Okay, fine, I know you're not going to concede you were complaining (and I don't feel like arguing it in circles with you right now) so let me point this out instead; since you used a term you know is offensive to some, that means you're doing exactly that which you claim you find just so damaging. That was really my whole point on the first place.
    1. Yeah, no, I'm not complaining and it isn't a matter of concession. It's a matter of fact. What you don't seem to understand even though I've pretty much explained it to you is that when I use the word "retard", I know I'm not using manners or being polite. What I find annoying is people who would pretend that it is nonsensical for someone to be offended by my use of the word "retard".

    2. You claim that I'm doing exactly what I claim to find damaging. Actually, no. Let's look at what I called damaging: "I consider it much more damaging to go around saying things to purposely offend people than to use language that facilitates conversation." I don't use "retard" to purposely offend people. For example, earlier this year, Kali complained about my use of it and even though I went back and forth with her, I purposely stopped using it in our conversation because I knew to do so would be childish. In fact, there are many impolite things I would like to say in certain conversations, but when I'm interested in facilitating conversation, I keep them to myself.

    Even so, you're simply missing the entire argument of my post. My argument was not "It's annoying for people to use non-PC or impolite terms". My argument was "It's annoying for people to use non-PC or impolite terms and then complain about political correctness like their language was impolite and ignoring the importance of language".

  8. #108
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We have had a few discussions on the topic of politically correct topics lately, and it reminded me of a conversation on these boards from quite some time ago. I cannot remember what the discussion was about so the other person will remain nameless and hopefully unidentifiable. Who it is is not important. What I am going to ask is if I was being politically correct in this discussion.

    Conversation: something about Asians, some one calls Asians "oriental", another person points out that properly, the correct term is Asian.

    Me: I learned some time ago that Asian refers to people, Oriental to objects, so I always use Asian

    Other person: You are just being Politically Correct.

    Me: I don't think I am, it is effortless on my part to say Asian and I then don't have to worry about offending any one accidentally.

    Other Person: Exactly, you are trying not to offend, so you are being PC.

    Now, obviously this is somewhat paraphrased and condensed from a longer conversation. What I want to know though, is in the example I gave as I gave it, am I being Politically Correct to use the term Asian instead of Oriental?
    I don't think it's PC for you to do that. Rather, I think you're using the right term.

    Asians and Asian-Americans would rather be referred to by those terms rather than "oriental." Africans and African-Americans would rather be referred to by those terms rather than "nigger."

    Referring to someone by the proper term they prefer is not PC. Rather, it's being correct and not insulting.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  9. #109
    ˇSelah!
    Alyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    southern and midwestern United States where Protestant fundamentalism is dominant
    Last Seen
    05-07-14 @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,648
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No. You are attributing way too much power to words.
    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Redress said it best. You're attributing way to much power to words. I live in the same world as you where people want to be called X, Y and Z. Nothing in their preferences has created more divisions in my world. It divides if you choose to make it so.
    Both of you underestimate the power of words.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Less than the other person insisting on a specific label?
    Of course not.
    “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.” -Napoleon

  10. #110
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Politically Correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by evanescence View Post
    Both of you underestimate the power of words.
    No, I understand the power of words just fine. They don't have any. Words have as much power as human beings give to them.

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •