View Poll Results: Should an applicants race be a deciding factor for admission to a university?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    9 10.98%
  • NO

    73 89.02%
Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 528

Thread: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

  1. #71
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,127

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    To qualify my yes vote: as the PRIMARY factor? No it should not come ahead of qualifications. As a SECONDARY factor, I don't have a problem with it.

    For example: You have 10 remaining spots and 50 applicants who all have similar qualifications. I don't have a problem with taking 7 black kids in an effort to make your student body more diverse. Or even if you fill all of them with minorities who are similarly qualified.

    The problem is, we don't know how they are qualified. Is a white kid with a B average and horrible writing skills more qualified than a black kid with a C average who expresses himself in words rather well? Is a middle class black kid from the 'burbs who cruised through without trying more qualified than a white kid who had to scrape and fight his way through?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #72
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You offered your pointless, smarmy post before I commented upon it being smarmy and pointless. The "That's your opinion" is smarmy and pointless. You offered nothing, other than to try to make my post look overstated.

    So no, I didn't insult you for no reason. I said your smarmy, worthless post was smarmy and worthless and asked if you had anything substantial to add. You apparently do not.
    I said 4 words. Relax.

  3. #73
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    To qualify my yes vote: as the PRIMARY factor? No it should not come ahead of qualifications. As a SECONDARY factor, I don't have a problem with it.

    For example: You have 10 remaining spots and 50 applicants who all have similar qualifications. I don't have a problem with taking 7 black kids in an effort to make your student body more diverse. Or even if you fill all of them with minorities who are similarly qualified.

    The problem is, we don't know how they are qualified. Is a white kid with a B average and horrible writing skills more qualified than a black kid with a C average who expresses himself in words rather well? Is a middle class black kid from the 'burbs who cruised through without trying more qualified than a white kid who had to scrape and fight his way through?
    College isn't about diversifying your *college* - students come and go rather quickly. They don't hang around for decades. It's about taking in students that have proven their selves worthy of your college name and who will value their education the most.

    Education and prowess for knowledge should be the only factors.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #74
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I said 4 words. Relax.
    As I said, it was smarmy and pointless. This is a debate board, the majority of what we write here are opinions. You don't have to point out the obvious. All I wanted to know was if you actually had something worthwhile, or if you were just being smug and trying to feel better about yourself and that's it. It seems that you don't have any worthwhile argument. That's it. I'm not upset, I don't need to relax...already there. Just wanted to know if you have anything of substance or if smarmy and pointless is all we're gonna get. You've answered that, now we're done.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    To qualify my yes vote: as the PRIMARY factor? No it should not come ahead of qualifications. As a SECONDARY factor, I don't have a problem with it.

    For example: You have 10 remaining spots and 50 applicants who all have similar qualifications. I don't have a problem with taking 7 black kids in an effort to make your student body more diverse. Or even if you fill all of them with minorities who are similarly qualified.

    The problem is, we don't know how they are qualified. Is a white kid with a B average and horrible writing skills more qualified than a black kid with a C average who expresses himself in words rather well? Is a middle class black kid from the 'burbs who cruised through without trying more qualified than a white kid who had to scrape and fight his way through?
    This pretty much sums up what I think about it. College admissions processes are not black and white and your third paragraph illustrates the grey area well. There are plenty of factors that go into determining the quality of the student that observers (like us, the general public) do not see, but that admissions boards do. Consequently, it's difficult to say, "that guy doesn't deserve to be there" when we likely don't know the whole story.

    Moreover, I've always thought that increasing diversity on a campus was a worthwhile goal. I'd want to have a campus filled with students who have all experienced the world in different ways and race, though some may not like to admit it, impacts a persons experiences and makes them contribute a different perspective to the student body. But again, it shouldn't be the primary or only factor, it should be secondary.

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    College isn't about diversifying your *college* - students come and go rather quickly. They don't hang around for decades. It's about taking in students that have proven their selves worthy of your college name and who will value their education the most.

    Education and prowess for knowledge should be the only factors.
    Meh, I went to a top 10 college and diversity (in all ways, not just race) was something they emphasized. Most top schools do because having students who offer different perspectives enriches the school environment. My college experience would have been much less fruitful without all the different types of people that were admitted.

  7. #77
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    As I said, it was smarmy and pointless. This is a debate board, the majority of what we write here are opinions. You don't have to point out the obvious. All I wanted to know was if you actually had something worthwhile, or if you were just being smug and trying to feel better about yourself and that's it. It seems that you don't have any worthwhile argument. That's it. I'm not upset, I don't need to relax...already there. Just wanted to know if you have anything of substance or if smarmy and pointless is all we're gonna get. You've answered that, now we're done.
    Whatever.

    ---

  8. #78
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    I would be more content if 'personal' details were exempt: no family history, race - nothing of that nature . . . your educational goals, history and abilities should be heavily relied on.

    Not all schools turn students away from general enrollment - I've yet to run into that issue. So to me it seems to be related to the 'higher' end of the colleges. If you don't get in there are always others options open.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  9. #79
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I would be more content if 'personal' details were exempt: no family history, race - nothing of that nature . . . your educational goals, history and abilities should be heavily relied on.
    Yes, particularly at the University level this should be true. All indication of age, race, sex, religion, etc. should be left out. It should be based on measured results and determination, not race. If we are not realizing the proper number of minorities in University that would then be because of failures to properly educate earlier. The solution, thus, is not to allow the unqualified into University; but rather to fix the problems at the lower levels of education. If anyone wanted to truly address the problem, that's where they would focus. Not feel good, but does nothing crap like letting people not prepared for University into University based on nothing more than their skin color.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I would be more content if 'personal' details were exempt: no family history, race - nothing of that nature . . . your educational goals, history and abilities should be heavily relied on.

    Not all schools turn students away from general enrollment - I've yet to run into that issue. So to me it seems to be related to the 'higher' end of the colleges. If you don't get in there are always others options open.
    I disagree. I benefited heavily from being around people of different races, religions, nationalities, etc.. People's "personal details" contribute quite a lot to the quality of scholarship at a school and I agree that the academic factors should be the primary consideration, but the others should still be considered.

Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •