View Poll Results: Should an applicants race be a deciding factor for admission to a university?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    9 10.98%
  • NO

    73 89.02%
Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 528

Thread: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

  1. #501
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    You obviously didn't read the post you just responded to because I posted two laws (or executive orders) not one, so it's clear that I don't think it's "a single law". I just posted them to clarify what BR is likely referring to.
    It encompasses way more than just 2 executive orders, I can ask you are you reading what I said???

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I'm not trying to pass it off as a single entity. Not only did I post two laws in the post you just quoted and didn't read, in a response to BR, I said:
    Those two are just the tip of the iceberg and I never saw your response to him.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    But thanks for calling me clueless in spite of the fact that you have no idea what the hell you're talking about.
    I know exactly what I am talking about....

    AA is not a law, it is a program governed by laws and a sires of executive orders , quite a few of them that overlap. It is not a single "law" that can be argued as Boo put it.

    Any questions?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Well, we were talking about AA as a whole, but then YOU starting saying that you didn't think "the law" should exist. BR's point has been that "the law" doesn't require or advocate colleges to do the things that you've been complaining about like "lowering standards" and "discriminating". And he's right.
    Only if you ignore reality like he does.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    And finally, while you seem to NOW have a problem with referring to AA as "a law", you didn't have a problem with it before:
    As I pointed out many times at this point I am talking law as in the whole enchilada, he made the assumption about what the "law" was, not me. Then told me as YOU have seen many times about "the law" again I said no that is not what I am talking about. CPwill said the same thing and he reiterated he was talking about "the law."

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I find your change of heart suspect. It reminds me of when you told me my response to your question was "an excuse" and then you changed your mind and said that I never even answered it. Interesting.
    I asked you why do we still need it? You said it's subjective. That is not an answer, no reasons other than it's subjective. Yea a change of heart. Jeeesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #502
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It encompasses way more than just 2 executive orders, I can ask you are you reading what I said???
    I posted the two laws that I ASSUMED BR WAS TALKING ABOUT as I said. And again, the fact that I posted two laws and then you still accused me of thinking it was only "one law" shows that you didn't read my post.

    Those two are just the tip of the iceberg and I never saw your response to him.
    It doesn't matter if you didn't see it. You made a bogus assumption and you got caught in it.

    I know exactly what I am talking about....
    Really? Because you just accused me of thinking something that I've clearly demonstrated I don't think, so no, you don't.

    AA is not a law, it is a program governed by laws and a sires of executive orders , quite a few of them that overlap. It is not a single "law" that can be argued as Boo put it.
    Any questions?
    Yeah, how do you manage to maintain such arrogance while blatantly misreading (or not reading) the posts you respond to and backtracking?

    Only if you ignore reality like he does.
    Hmm...Which law advocates or requires colleges to lower standards and discriminate? Be specific.

    As I pointed out many times at this point I am talking law as in the whole enchilada, he made the assumption about what the "law" was, not me. Then told me as YOU have seen many times about "the law" again I said no that is not what I am talking about. CPwill said the same thing and he reiterated he was talking about "the law."
    I just quoted you where you directly said that you think AA is an antiquated law. YOU THINK it's an antiquated law and you said it unprompted. The correct thing for you to have said under your newfound philosophy of AA would have been "I think AA is an antiquated system", but you didn't say that. You said law.

    I asked you why do we still need it? You said it's subjective. That is not an answer, no reasons other than it's subjective. Yea a change of heart. Jeeesh.
    Really? Let's look at what actually happened (Hint: I mentioned subjectivity after you called my actual explanation an excuse):

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    So why do we need AA again?
    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    It depends on who you ask. Some understand that race impacts social experience and they want people with diverse social experiences on their campuses and in their workplaces. Other want to make sure that existing or past discrimination does not impact their pool of candidates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I am sorry man, that is a lame excuse in 2011.
    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    This comment would be more compelling if you hadn't confused "explanation" with "excuse".
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I did not confuse anything, it's an excuse. No one has yet to point out even one legitimate reason why we still need it?
    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Ignoring the fact that "legitimacy" is subjective, legitimacy has nothing to do with the difference between an excuse and an explanation.
    It's funny how you revise everything. You refer to AA as a law and now you think that's wrong. You tell me my response to your question is an excuse and then you say that I avoided the question. NOW you're saying my response to your question was "that's subjective" when I mentioned subjectivity after you called my actual answers excuses. What a joke.

    You have a good one.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 12-06-11 at 11:53 PM.

  3. #503
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I posted the two laws that I ASSUMED BR WAS TALKING ABOUT as I said. And again, the fact that I posted two laws and then you still accused me of thinking it was only "one law" shows that you didn't read my post.
    I read your post, but those two are not all that AA is. It is much more than just that. He was trying to make it into just a law. I know I don't have to repeat what he said.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    It doesn't matter if you didn't see it. You made a bogus assumption and you got caught in it.
    Yea I did, that does not change the fact I did not see it. Considering the debate with Boo, you act like it was not a logical jump without seeing your reply.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Really? Because you just accused me of thinking something that I've clearly demonstrated I don't think, so no, you don't.

    Yeah, how do you manage to maintain such arrogance while blatantly misreading (or not reading) the posts you respond to and backtracking?
    Has nothing to do with arrogance, it has more to do with you ignoring what I said...

    AA is not a law, it is a program governed by laws and a series of executive orders , quite a few of them that overlap. It is not a single "law" that can be argued as Boo put it. Will I have to highlight and point this out again?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Hmm...Which law advocates or requires colleges to lower standards and discriminate? Be specific.
    Please point out where I said this? I said they were lowered (as the articles I posted pointed out) to admit more minority's.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I just quoted you where you directly said that you think AA is an antiquated law. YOU THINK it's an antiquated law and you said it unprompted. The correct thing for you to have said under your newfound philosophy of AA would have been "I think AA is an antiquated system", but you didn't say that. You said law.
    I posted the definition what? 6 times. I guess you did not read that either?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Really? Let's look at what actually happened (Hint: I mentioned subjectivity after you called my actual explanation an excuse):
    I still do, it is a simple yes or no answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    It's funny how you revise everything. You refer to AA as a law and now you think that's wrong.
    Because most people unlike Boo I guess realize it is allot more than a law or two as I pointed out many times and even posted the definition.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    You tell me my response to your question is an excuse and then you say that I avoided the question.
    It depends on who you ask. Some understand that race impacts social experience and they want people with diverse social experiences on their campuses and in their workplaces. Other want to make sure that existing or past discrimination does not impact their pool of candidates.

    This is not a reason why we still need it. This is assumptions based on opinion that have nothing to do with the facts presented by you or myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    NOW you're saying my response to your question was "that's subjective" when I mentioned subjectivity after you called my actual answers excuses. What a joke.

    You have a good one.
    I will, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #504
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    That's a non-sensical statement though. Of course it's a factor in the decision. You may mean it's not the only factor, but if it's a factor, that means you use it as part of your decision.

    Either someone's race is making a difference in whether they get into a school, or it isn't.
    No. You can look at it and not have being large enough to swing the difference. Agian, once you get so far, all the critieria left is subjective.

    And we have actual statisitics on the make up of the college student. The numbers show no real difference in the white student percentage. So it would be hard to show anything actually harming them. Now if you were talking females, you might have a case. Females have begun to make up a larger percentage of the college student population. But not racial minorites.

    But again, this is the schools wanting to look at race. Not any law. Schools want diversity. The question is whether they can have what they want.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #505
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    There is no law! It does not exist, I have shown that. I have shown what we are talking about it as a whole. CA has already ditched it and I assume more will coming up.

    You are arguing in defense of something by saying " it's the law" or "it's not part of AA" when by definition it is exactly that. you are arguing something that does not exist.
    You're missing the point. You keep asking for the law to be ended. There is no law that calls for driscrmination. no law that calls for a quota. No law that allows race to be a deciding factor.

    The law, those which make up AA, do not call for any of the things you complain about. And if schools do discrminate, sue. History says you'll likely win.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #506
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Jeez, theplaydrive and blackdog - I figured this disconnect out and explained it a long time ago.
    Last edited by misterman; 12-07-11 at 10:55 AM.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  7. #507
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    No. You can look at it and not have being large enough to swing the difference.
    Then what's the point? If race makes no difference, how can you say you're considering it as a factor?

    It's non-sensical. You're trying to say race doesn't matter and it does, at the same time. You can't have it both ways.

    And we have actual statisitics on the make up of the college student. The numbers show no real difference in the white student percentage.
    So your racial diversity program is failing to create any racial diversity.

    But again, this is the schools wanting to look at race. Not any law. Schools want diversity. The question is whether they can have what they want.
    Agree.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  8. #508
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Then what's the point? If race makes no difference, how can you say you're considering it as a factor?

    It's non-sensical. You're trying to say race doesn't matter and it does, at the same time. You can't have it both ways.
    That's why they asked if they could look at diversity. If as ruled in Michigan it can't be used as a decding factor, what is the point? So, they asked if they could legally seek diversity. The message is a little lsee clear on that. But, this is school driven and not state or law driven.


    So your racial diversity program is failing to create any racial diversity.
    Not my program. But yes, largely there has been no real movement. All those informed on both sides of the argument admit this. Pat Buchcann once said that yes, that is true that whites have not been hurt at all, but since people think they have, we ahve to end it. May me laugh as he was reallya rguing perception is reality and not reality is reality.

    Agree.
    Good to agree on something.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #509
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Jeez, theplaydrive and blackdog - I figured this disconnect out and explained it a long time ago.
    What disconnect? The disconnect where Blackdog lies and distorts other people's posts and then lies about his own responses to those posts? Since that's the only disconnect we were talking about, you clearly haven't.

  10. #510
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's why they asked if they could look at diversity. If as ruled in Michigan it can't be used as a decding factor, what is the point? So, they asked if they could legally seek diversity. The message is a little lsee clear on that. But, this is school driven and not state or law driven.
    Right. So is race being used as a factor, or not? Does it matter to admissions, or not?

    Not my program. But yes, largely there has been no real movement. All those informed on both sides of the argument admit this. Pat Buchcann once said that yes, that is true that whites have not been hurt at all, but since people think they have, we ahve to end it. May me laugh as he was reallya rguing perception is reality and not reality is reality.
    How can it be possible for an AA program not to hurt whites though?

    If a black with lower qualifications otherwise is admitted due to his race, a white who otherwise would be admitted must be excluded. Unless race is being used as a factor to choose between students that are otherwise completely equal, of course.

    It's hard to frame this as not a zero-sum game, even if it is a murky one.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •