View Poll Results: Should an applicants race be a deciding factor for admission to a university?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    9 10.98%
  • NO

    73 89.02%
Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 528

Thread: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

  1. #441
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Really. So, when you complain about a law, speaking about the law is dodging? You and I ahve very different meanig of the word dodging.

    That is nothing more than an appeal to authority. So because it is a law, this makes it right is your argument? Yea that's not dodging. So you can keep avoiding, making excuses etc. It seems to be what you and play are good at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #442
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Really. So, when you complain about a law, speaking about the law is dodging? You and I ahve very different meanig of the word dodging.

    boo, just a suggestion: the :teapap smiley works with your particular brand of vaguery and just so arguments.

    the triple-lol's, though, well, just... well, it's weird - clashes with your usual tone. Gives off the impression that you're force-laughing as hard as you can... or possibly high.

    i mean, the :teapap can be infuriating when you use it as a tool of smuggery... but at least it works for you.

  3. #443
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    boo, just a suggestion: the :teapap smiley works with your particular brand of vaguery and just so arguments.

    the triple-lol's, though, well, just... well, it's weird - clashes with your usual tone. Gives off the impression that you're force-laughing as hard as you can... or possibly high.

    i mean, the :teapap can be infuriating when you use it as a tool of smuggery... but at least it works for you.
    Maybe. I merely only know a few, and I find it funny that people somehow think their false impressions mean more than the actual law.

    But, I'll give it a try:

    :teapap:

    Or did you mean coffeepap


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #444
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Maybe. I merely only know a few, and I find it funny that people somehow think their false impressions mean more than the actual law.

    But, I'll give it a try:

    :teapap:

    Or did you mean coffeepap

    False impressions? You mean the fact it caused standards to be lowered and has been shown to hurt minority's rather than help?

    Your argument is basically keep it because it is a law. Yea great argument there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #445
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    False impressions? You mean the fact it caused standards to be lowered and has been shown to hurt minority's rather than help?

    Your argument is basically keep it because it is a law. Yea great argument there.
    You have not proven it caused standards to be lowered. None of your sources show method or link to actual studies. instead you have wild eyed conservatives saying it's true, and one only asked people if they thought it was true. WOOOO, now that's some tough standard to beat.

    But yes, if someone breaks the law, you can't blame the law. As I work in education, and speicificly with underprepared students, AA has next to nothing to do with any actual lowering of standards. As one administrator at a private school said, if they pay their money, they will get the grade. Now that's lowering standards, and AA is not the cause.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #446
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You have not proven it caused standards to be lowered. None of your sources show method or link to actual studies. instead you have wild eyed conservatives saying it's true, and one only asked people if they thought it was true. WOOOO, now that's some tough standard to beat.

    But yes, if someone breaks the law, you can't blame the law. As I work in education, and speicificly with underprepared students, AA has next to nothing to do with any actual lowering of standards. As one administrator at a private school said, if they pay their money, they will get the grade. Now that's lowering standards, and AA is not the cause.
    Your anecdotal evidence is as worthless as your argument.

    My evidence is pretty good compared to your non-existing evidence.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 12-06-11 at 11:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #447
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Your anecdotal evidence is worthless as your argument.
    Agreed, but I do know enough to know you have it wrong. No one is really concerned about AA in the profession. There are much bigger problems.

    But, you need an objective, fact based (not opinions) study. And you must show specifically that AA is the cause for any lowering of standards. And we must be able to view that study.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #448
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Agreed, but I do know enough to know you have it wrong. No one is really concerned about AA in the profession. There are much bigger problems.

    But, you need an objective, fact based (not opinions) study. And you must show specifically that AA is the cause for any lowering of standards. And we must be able to view that study.
    AA is causing problems, this is a fact. A large majority has issues right or wrong with it. It is antiquated and no longer needed as we have discrimination laws to protect against it. At this point it is overkill and not worth the problems it is causing.

    No evidence I know of says it is helping at all, and evidence does exist (even though not great) that it is hurting non-minority students as well as minority's themselves.

    If we have "bigger problems" and I agree we do, why do we need to keep it??? Why do you argue to keep it? You have not given one valid reason to keep it yet? I have given multiple reasons it needs to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #449
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    AA is causing problems, this is a fact. A large majority has issues right or wrong with it. It is antiquated and no longer needed as we have discrimination laws to protect against it. At this point it is overkill and not worth the problems it is causing.

    No evidence I know of says it is helping at all, and evidence does exist (even though not great) that it is hurting non-minority students as well as minority's themselves.

    If we have "bigger problems" and I agree we do, why do we need to keep it??? Why do you argue to keep it? You have not given one valid reason to keep it yet? I have given multiple reasons it needs to go.
    You are wrong. It is not a fact. It's an opinion, and one you have not yet supported.

    As AA calls for us to prove we are not discriminating, how can that not be helping? Remember, before the alw, racial discrimination was rampant. Now it isn't, and it is likley AA helped that a lot.

    But what you're really upset about is schools want diversity. AA doesn't call for it. no law calls for it. But schools think it has some value. You want a law to say schools can't value that. That has nothing to do with AA, but schools.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #450
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not sure yet. But again, this is the school wanting diverity and not the law or government trying to make them. The law is about not having racial discrimination.
    Of course it's about "having racial discrimination." Racial discrimination is simply an act, not a motivation. The school may view it as "good" discrimination, but that doesn't make it not discrimination.

    The school may value diversity. That may be a good thing for the school, and for the students it accepts, and for society. It does mean that certain students are denied entry to the school due to their race though. That is the unavoidable consequence, even if it is muddled by the complexity of admissions policies that consider other factors too. A policy that considers race makes a choice based on race, thereby excluding someone who didn't have the right race to meet the policy.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •