View Poll Results: Should an applicants race be a deciding factor for admission to a university?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    9 10.98%
  • NO

    73 89.02%
Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 528

Thread: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

  1. #431
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I think blackdog has done a pretty effective job of responding to this.
    The blind in this case can not be made to see because they don't want to admit the reality of the situation. People like Boo would rather dodge around the answers as to not take them on directly because in the end they know they are wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #432
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I know you are not, I was pointing out you were wrong about that.
    I wasn't wrong. My point was that the case you used as "evidence" was ruled unconstitutional and I'm not arguing for unconstitutional policies, so it has no relevance to my argument.

    I was talking about the overall situation. Either you accept that or you don't. SO I don't care either way as I have clarified what I said. So either you can call me a liar or move on.
    So when you said, "You know as well as I do their are plenty of others. If I list them, will you just ignore them as well?" right after I was talking about cases, you meant, "You know as well as I do there are plenty of other overall situations. If I list those overall situations, will you just ignore them as well?". LOL, okay.

    Exactly, if we have laws against discrimination, do we need affirmative action? You have still not answered that question. It is a simple yes or no.
    I already gave you my answer and you responded, "that's just an excuse". Did you forget that conversation so quickly? It's funny. You ask a question, I give an answer. Then you call that answer an "excuse" in order to dismiss what you do not like. Then you pretend that I never even answered the question. How interesting.

    Still avoiding the question. Yes or no.
    See above. Moreover, it's funny that you believe I think so much of your questions and so little of my ability to answer them that I would have reason to avoid them. Like I said, asked and answered. Next.

  3. #433
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Subjective? It is a yes or no answer you are trying to avoid. Either it is still needed or it's not. I have pointed out why it is no longer needed and no one has given any real reason to keep it.
    This is my original post:
    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Ignoring the fact that "legitimacy" is subjective, legitimacy has nothing to do with the difference between an excuse and an explanation.
    Yes, the "legitimacy" of the explanations I gave you are subjective. It's not a yes or no question. I gave you my answers and first you say that they are "excuses" and now you're saying I "avoided the question" right after you criticized my answer to the question. What a joke.

    The reason people disagree on AA and almost everything else in the world is because they have different opinions. So try as you may to say "it's either needed or it's not" that really not how the world works. You don't think it's needed. I and others do. Those are called opinions and trying to pass your opinions off as fact does nothing to affect the reality of what they actually are. You disagree with me and others. Fine. But don't be so arrogant as to assume that in order to have a valid opinion, I have to convince you to agree with me.

  4. #434
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Okay. But race can still be used when considering "diversity" right?
    Not sure yet. But again, this is the school wanting diverity and not the law or government trying to make them. The law is about not having racial discrimination.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #435
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I think blackdog has done a pretty effective job of responding to this.
    Of course you do. Those are your type of sources and arguments.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #436
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The blind in this case can not be made to see because they don't want to admit the reality of the situation. People like Boo would rather dodge around the answers as to not take them on directly because in the end they know they are wrong.
    Dodge around what? I happen to be the one speaking to the law. I respectfully submit that is the issue.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #437
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,202

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    The issue, then is the definition of racial discrimination. I think that if you have two candidates who are otherwise equally qualified, but one is chosen by race, that's racial discrimination by definition. Not that this is always the situation that occurs.
    But if you have two candidates that are equally qualified for one spot, only one will get picked. How do you know what the tipping point was? Someone's going to scream discrimination either way, simply because there was no apparent logical reason to choose one over the other.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  8. #438
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Okay. But race can still be used when considering "diversity" right?
    naturally. minority students, after all, are a public utility. we need more of them around so that we can have them here and look at them, and feel good about ourselves for letting them into school and even giving them a special scholarship and everything. we are such wonderful people, and this proves it.

    sure, it sort of screws them over. but the important thing is we're not racist, we love black people, why, i even said hello to one of them just the other day, and I always make sure to rail against evil racist slaveowners in my papers on American history .

  9. #439
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Dodge around what? I happen to be the one speaking to the law. I respectfully submit that is the issue.
    Dodging the issue and the reality of the situation has nothing to do with "speaking to the law." I respectfully submit
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #440
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Dodging the issue and the reality of the situation has nothing to do with "speaking to the law." I respectfully submit
    Really. So, when you complain about a law, speaking about the law is dodging? You and I ahve very different meanig of the word dodging.


    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •