View Poll Results: Should an applicants race be a deciding factor for admission to a university?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    9 10.98%
  • NO

    73 89.02%
Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 528

Thread: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

  1. #371
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You went the extra mile presenting it as such.



    If someone does, they go to jail, get fined etc. SO again no need for AA, period.
    If we learn about, from someone suing. Again, it's not a bad idea to have a school or company show they are nto discriminating. You are making a rather large deal out of people showing they are following the law.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #372
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I am sorry man, that is a lame excuse in 2011.
    This comment would be more compelling if you hadn't confused "explanation" with "excuse".

  3. #373
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You know as well as I do their are plenty of others. If I list them, will you just ignore them as well?
    Do you not understand that that case was deemed UNCONSTITUTIONAL as were all other quota cases. And I already linked you to a site that said only 6 of 200 "reverse discrimination" cases were found to have merit. So what, are you going to list a bunch of cases that have already been deemed unconstitutional along with the 6 cases that were found to exist. Sure, list them, but it does nothing for your argument.

    This is funny...

    Myth: Affirmative Action is preferential treatment
    Fact: Preferences for those in need is the American way; a basic concept. Affirmative action programs for minorities and women are a very small part of U.S. preferential policies. College draft deferments, selective allotments for refugees, support for corporate farms, re-entry programs for GI's, the Marshall Plan (billions of dollars for free training of former European enemies denied to Black GI's in the U.S.), legacy systems, and geographical preferences are but a few of the programs engineered in the name of inclusion and deemed worthy of preferential treatment.


    Sorry no dice.
    Sorry, you still haven't proven anything.

  4. #374
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Just for clarity Boo and play, I do not mean to insult your intelligence or anything like that. I just seriously think it is an antiquated law that partly because of all the controversy around it, needs to go away because it really is no longer needed. It is not the 1950's anymore.

    Heheh "Boo & Play" sounds like a new hiphop group.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #375
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Do you not understand that that case was deemed UNCONSTITUTIONAL as were all other quota cases.
    Ummm no, Bakka won that case. Look at my link again.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    And I already linked you to a site that said only 6 of 200 "reverse discrimination" cases were found to have merit. So what, are you going to list a bunch of cases that have already been deemed unconstitutional along with the 6 cases that were found to exist. Sure, list them, but it does nothing for your argument.
    Who is talking about just cases? I am talking about others who point out how it is wrong and creating more problems than it is worth. We have plenty of laws against discrimination, we don't need it anymore as I have shown.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Sorry, you still haven't proven anything.
    Oh I think I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #376
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    This comment would be more compelling if you hadn't confused "explanation" with "excuse".
    I did not confuse anything, it's an excuse. No one has yet to point out even one legitimate reason why we still need it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #377
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I did not confuse anything, it's an excuse. No one has yet to point out even one legitimate reason why we still need it?
    Ignoring the fact that "legitimacy" is subjective, legitimacy has nothing to do with the difference between an excuse and an explanation.

  8. #378
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Ummm no, Bakka won that case. Look at my link again.
    Yeah, I know. Their admissions policy was ruled unconstitutional. That's the point. You can list that case along with all the other cases where such systems were ruled unconstiutional and it proves nothing because those policies are illegal and I'm not advocating illegal policies.

    Who is talking about just cases? I am talking about others who point out how it is wrong and creating more problems than it is worth. We have plenty of laws against discrimination, we don't need it anymore as I have shown.
    You were. You said, "You know as well as I do their are plenty of others. If I list them, will you just ignore them as well?" Since we were talking about a court case, it's clear that "plenty of others" referred to cases and as I said, those "plenty of other cases" don't do much.

    Moreover, you haven't "shown" anything. You listed laws against discrimination, SC cases that ruled illegal admissions processes illegal and then you declared that "we don't need AA".

    Oh I think I have.
    Still no. You've proved that illegal policies were ruled illegal by the Supreme Court. This is a given.

  9. #379
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    So, now that we've hashed out the four unique civil cases on this matter... Out of the millions of applications every year...

    Is there any real evidence to support the statements made by some posters that this goes on 'all the time'.

    Anything at all to support the claim made in the OP?

    BTW - she jumped shipped rather fast...

  10. #380
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Ignoring the fact that "legitimacy" is subjective, legitimacy has nothing to do with the difference between an excuse and an explanation.
    Subjective? It is a yes or no answer you are trying to avoid. Either it is still needed or it's not. I have pointed out why it is no longer needed and no one has given any real reason to keep it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 38 of 53 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •