View Poll Results: Should an applicants race be a deciding factor for admission to a university?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    9 10.98%
  • NO

    73 89.02%
Page 35 of 53 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 528

Thread: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

  1. #341
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Because the law requires that we prove we DO NOT discriminate due to race. This is a good law to have, and what was used by those who won the suits we speak of. If you don't understand the law, you reach a lot of mistaken conclusions.
    I understand the law, and it is unfair. No mistake, it is outdated and unneeded. It adds to the racial divide rather than helping heal it, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #342
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Yea because something you have no control over, had nothing to do with is definitively a way to judge how well people will do in college.
    Well, it's not legal. But, you personally ahve no control on whether your parents are rich, or went to the school, or donated thousands, or you happen to live a preferenced area, all of which are legal critieria used by schools.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #343
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Which is why colleges don't and can't consider race alone in the admissions process.
    It should not be considered at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #344
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    In the post, I though I made it clear, I was talking about the difference between being rejected by one or two school and barred from attending ANY schools SPECIFICALLY because of your race.

    If you didn't get into your first choice, obsessing about the minorities who did get into 'your' school is not healthy. Going to another school for two years, bringing home grades that show your first choice what a mistake they made not picking you us, that feels more American.
    ....so minorities are currently barred from attending ANY schools?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #345
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I understand the law, and it is unfair. No mistake, it is outdated and unneeded. It adds to the racial divide rather than helping heal it, period.
    I wish you would say something that suggested you did understand the law. You keep complaining about things the law forbids.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #346
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Because the law requires that we prove we DO NOT discriminate due to race. This is a good law to have, and what was used by those who won the suits we speak of. If you don't understand the law, you reach a lot of mistaken conclusions.
    Well, college can consider race with other factors, but it just can't be the only factor.

  7. #347
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Well, it's not legal. But, you personally ahve no control on whether your parents are rich, or went to the school, or donated thousands, or you happen to live a preferenced area, all of which are legal critieria used by schools.
    Not the same thing, and you know that. I mean equal opportunity means nothing with programs like AA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #348
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    ....so minorities are currently barred from attending ANY schools?
    I speak from experience, they are not allowed to attend some schools, though they the school won't say it is race. That does still happen. Saw it at a school (k-12) in Mississippi.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #349
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Not the same thing, and you know that. I mean equal opportunity means nothing with programs like AA.
    Why is it not the same thing, other than AA says it's illegal to use race?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #350
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It should not be considered at all.
    You keep repeating this and then you say things like "it lowers standards" and "it isn't a definitive way to judge how well students will perform" to substantiate your claim, but AA doesn't lower standards and it doesn't rest on the premise that race is a definitive way to judge how well students will perform. So you can keep repeating "it's unfair" and "it shouldn't be considered at all" over and over again, but you have yet to offer a single true line of reasoning to support those claims.

Page 35 of 53 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •