View Poll Results: Should an applicants race be a deciding factor for admission to a university?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    9 10.98%
  • NO

    73 89.02%
Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 528

Thread: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

  1. #291
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    There is no law that requires lower standards for anyone.
    Didn't say that. But AA policies often do end up admitting those with lower qualificiations than others need to get into the school.

    AA, however, says you can't use race to discriminate with.
    Huh? AA (at least the kind we're discussing) is racial discrimination, by definition.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  2. #292
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Perhaps you should put down the Ayn Rand and spend some time getting up to speed on CURRENT admissions practices.
    Why don't you simply tell us what those admission practices are and how race isn't a "qualifying" factor?
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  3. #293
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    What kind do you support? Is this going to be a semantic discussion about what "standards" are?
    Sematics? I doubt that. However, I don't think most actually know what the standards really are. Test scores, for example, mean much less than some think. As does GPA. Those things are used mostly just to reduce the numbers you're going to look at. After that, and all who are considered meet those standards, you look for other, more subjective standards.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #294
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Didn't say that. But AA policies often do end up admitting those with lower qualificiations than others need to get into the school.



    Huh? AA (at least the kind we're discussing) is racial discrimination, by definition.
    The only AA there is the one that is within the law. All others mean you can sue and win. The law,AA, syas you cannot discriminate due to race.
    As for qualifications, which qualifications? Read what I say above.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #295
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Why don't you simply tell us what those admission practices are and how race isn't a "qualifying" factor?
    Please show me ONE U.S. university that won't even consider an application based on race.

    Then look up the word 'Qualify'. As in, 'In order to qualify for admissions to our school, you must be black'...

    Simple enough for you?

  6. #296
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    The problem with this argument is that it assumes that kids who benefit from AA are of lower quality than other students. That's not necessarily the case and probably often is not the case. You could easily have two similarly qualified students - one white and one black - and the black one benefits from AA. I don't know why you automatically assume that the black kid is less qualified.
    If the black kid isn't less qualified, why have AA? Is AA nothing more than a way to decide between equally-qualified kids? Are there no cases where a black kid with SATs lower than a white kid gets in due to his race?

    (I should stipulate here that I'm not competely against using race as a factor in admission, but I'm keeping you honest).

    I made that argument earlier in a different conversation. In this conversation, my argument is simply that the AA had no apparent effect on the quality of students. Consequently, all these arguments that AA substitutes worse students for better ones holds no water in my experience with AA.
    Okay. I would not want to go to an all-white or all-male school myself, and I think my own education was better for that too. But the flip side is that in order to get that good education, someone else had to be denied entry to the school.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  7. #297
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Please show me ONE U.S. university that won't even consider an application based on race.

    Then look up the word 'Qualify'. As in, 'In order to qualify for admissions to our school, you must be black'...

    Simple enough for you?
    Ah, I see your point. You could have made it with a little less attitude.

    But if there is a quota system for minorities, that would make race a qualifying factor for those slots. I don't think quotas are really legal in college admissions though (though I'll bet they still exist unofficially).
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  8. #298
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The only AA there is the one that is within the law. All others mean you can sue and win. The law,AA, syas you cannot discriminate due to race.
    So you don't think AA is racial discrimination, is that it?

    As for qualifications, which qualifications? Read what I say above.
    Look up the word "qualifications." It's not the same as "qualifying."
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  9. #299
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    What's most disturbing about this thread is that people with high SAT/ ACT scores think they're more qualified than people who scored slightly lower. As if that is the ONLY thing an admissions office should look at.

    That's like saying the cadet who can do 20 pull-ups is more qualified to be a solider than one who can only do 18...

    And, as I've mentioned, football and basketball players can be on the bottom end of the qualifying range of SAT/ACT scores, however they get a free ride and are considered heros.

    But the same white kids drunk at football games will bitch about their friends who didn't get accepted because some minority got his spot.... Maybe the minority who got your friend's spot is the dude running with the balll... you know, the one you are cheering.

  10. #300
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Look up the word "qualifications." It's not the same as "qualifying."
    Qualifying was the word used in the OP.

    Qualifying was the word I used.

    You have failed to make a relevant point.

Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •