View Poll Results: Should an applicants race be a deciding factor for admission to a university?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    9 10.98%
  • NO

    73 89.02%
Page 28 of 53 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 528

Thread: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

  1. #271
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Then again, by your own admission, you haven't got a clue.
    He answered every question and addressed your extreme hypotheticals.

    You have no present one shred of evidence about current practices.

    You run your mouth, demanding that people answer your loaded questions, then declare them ignorant because they don't share your paranoid world view.

    You have shown yourself to unwilling to discuss this logically and worn out your welcome in this thread.

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Please read carefully.
    Paraphrasing: I have no proof of my paranoid theories.

  3. #273
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Please read carefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Paraphrasing: I have no proof of my paranoid theories.
    No, he's right. I didn't read his post carefully.

  4. #274
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Then again, by your own admission, you haven't got a clue.

    Think about this, as more and more minorities find their way into the upper tiers of the socioeconomic hierarchy, due to effectiveness of AA/EO policy over the years, such policy will have to shift toward socioeconomic status as the primary factor of consideration. Otherwise, AA/EO will increasingly degenerate from a solution into a problem.
    By my own admission, I've a certain experience with AA and I understand that colleges want to add students . Making arguments based on my own experiences and understanding of the college admissions process is certainly having a clue. You, on the other hand, have set up this ridiculous scenarios where we're deciding between two students and who gets in is simply a matter of race or money. That's rarely, if ever, how the college admissions process works.

  5. #275
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    By my own admission, I've a certain experience with AA and I understand that colleges want to add students . Making arguments based on my own experiences and understanding of the college admissions process is certainly having a clue. You, on the other hand, have set up this ridiculous scenarios where we're deciding between two students and who gets in is simply a matter of race or money. That's rarely, if ever, how the college admissions process works.
    No, no... that is not what you said. What you said was:

    "I can't comment on how widespread that scenario is since neither you nor I have any clue."

    Excluding your ridiculous assumption in regards to what clues I have or do not have, I shall take you on your word.

    ...at least until you contradict yourself.

    The fact of the matter is that you do not know, nor could you know, all the varioius techniques and policies colleges and universities use to ensure a racially diverse student body. Indeed, the only knowledge you seem to possess is personal experience.

    I am not interested in personal experience. I am interested in policy and the degree to which policy is fair in regards to doling out handicaps for socioeconomic status vis-a-vis handicaps for racial and ethnic inclusion. And, although we have not yet addressed the matter to any serious degree, I am interested in the demographic percentages used to determine the "target quota" for racial diversity at colleges and universities and to what degree such policy is fair and practical.

  6. #276
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I can't comment on how widespread that scenario is since neither you nor I have any clue. However, I know that I went to a school that presumably uses AA and the quality of students was overwhelmingly exceptional (not just in grades, but in quality of thought and intelligence). There were some ridiculous people there, but they were of all races, backgrounds, religions, etc.. My college experience made it clear that AA is not the evil some make it out to be.
    "Presumably?"

    And your college experience didn't include the students were denied entry because they had to make room for someone under an AA policy.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  7. #277
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Some would say the same for AA.
    But it's not, by definition. It is skewing the rules. It is letting blacks have four strikes before they're out, to torture the analogy.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  8. #278
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    He didn't say that anyone who is against AA is a racist. He said that there are racial motivations for those who are against AA, but who support other discriminatory practices. That's a fair point worthy of discussion. The strawman you created out of his post is not.
    Then you need to stop assuming that most people who are against AA are also for other discriminatory practices. This is typical debate 101 tactics. It doesn't matter if there are people who support other forms of discrimination. We are talking about the merit of this particular form of discrimination which is a government or political mandate. I think we can say the discrimination is not good and strive to eliminate all forms including AA.

  9. #279
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    No, no... that is not what you said. What you said was:

    "I can't comment on how widespread that scenario is since neither you nor I have any clue."

    Excluding your ridiculous assumption in regards to what clues I have or do not have, I shall take you on your word.
    I was correct. We don't have a clue unless you have an analysis of every college's admissions policy that shows that your assumption about how most colleges use AA is better than mine.

    ...at least until you contradict yourself.

    The fact of the matter is that you do not know, nor could you know, all the varioius techniques and policies colleges and universities use to ensure a racially diverse student body. Indeed, the only knowledge you seem to possess is personal experience.

    I am not interested in personal experience. I am interested in policy and the degree to which policy is fair in regards to doling out handicaps for socioeconomic status vis-a-vis handicaps for racial and ethnic inclusion. And, although we have not yet addressed the matter to any serious degree, I am interested in the demographic percentages used to determine the "target quota" for racial diversity at colleges and universities and to what degree such policy is fair and practical.
    The fact of the matter is that you do not know, nor could you know, all the various techniques and policies colleges and universities use. Period. And if you're not interested in personal experiences, then I assume you aren't interested in your own arguments because that seems to be all you have as well, if you even have that considering that you've dismissed mine. I've already told you I don't favor a quota system. I've told you what I do favor and why, but it appears that you simply don't like my answer and that you would prefer that I agree with you. That's not going to happen.

  10. #280
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    "Presumably?"

    And your college experience didn't include the students were denied entry because they had to make room for someone under an AA policy.
    Yeah, presumably. I don't know for sure, but I went to a top 10 school and they pretty much all use AA. And you're missing my point. The quality of students at the University was great, so the assumptions anti-AA people are making that less qualified students were let in over more qualified students holds no water in my experience.

Page 28 of 53 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •