View Poll Results: Should an applicants race be a deciding factor for admission to a university?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    9 10.98%
  • NO

    73 89.02%
Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 528

Thread: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

  1. #241
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    First, this comment has nothing to do with our original conversation.
    Second, why shouldn't a rich kid get in over a poor kid if the admissions office thinks he'll add more to the college?
    Third, sure, it's fair, if the college thinks that both of them will add to the college environment.
    Both kids are NOT admitted in this scenario. Despite his obvious socioeconomic advantages, one student is granted a leg-up because of his race and the other is not. For the sake of argument, let's assume that the black is not getting a leg-up because the admissions office thinks he'll "add more to the college", but because the admissions office fears that it is missing its "target quota" for black student admissions and may be sued by the NAACP.
    Last edited by Sig; 12-01-11 at 09:23 PM.

  2. #242
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,524

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    Once again, the communication process breaks down.

    It's not 50/50. The black student gets a bump for being black while the white student gets nothing for being white. The bump which the black student receives for being black makes all the difference in his getting admitted ahead of the white student.

    This is the scenario. What is your answer?

    In case you missed it. The black student hails from an upper middle-class background while the white student is from the welfare class. Again, not 50/50, the black student enjoys a socioeconomic advantage over the white student.
    In the scenario described, you could potentially choose either student over the other one. Black kid gets a little bump for being black and gets in, so what? Do you really think it's an injustice that the white kid didn't get in?

    I'm modifying the scenario. No racial bump. Which one do you pick and what's your justification?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

  3. #243
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Black kid gets a little bump for being black and gets in, so what? Do you really think it's an injustice that the white kid didn't get in?
    Change it to this and see if it still works:

    White kid gets a little bump for being white and gets in, so what? Do you really think it's an injustice that the black kid didn't get in?
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  4. #244
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    In the scenario described, you could potentially choose either student over the other one. Black kid gets a little bump for being black and gets in, so what? Do you really think it's an injustice that the white kid didn't get in?

    I'm modifying the scenario. No racial bump. Which one do you pick and what's your justification?
    No, you could not "potentially choose either student." One student's application is bumped up for no other reason than his race.

    Now, either answer the question or get lost.

  5. #245
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,524

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Change it to this and see if it still works:

    White kid gets a little bump for being white and gets in, so what? Do you really think it's an injustice that the black kid didn't get in?
    No. Not at all. All other things being equal, something had to put one over the hump.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

  6. #246
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    12-02-11 @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    12

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Ah, the loaded question... "Would XYZ unfair hypothetical scenario be unfair?"


    The white student should have applied to more than one school.
    well that was a racist attack. maybe if the black student put the pipe down and made decent grades he could get into school on his own merits, not his muddy complexion.

    get off the cross buddy, we need the wood.

  7. #247
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,524

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    No, you could not "potentially choose either student." One student's application is bumped up for no other reason than his race.

    Now, either answer the question or get lost.
    I've answered it twice, you just don't like the answer.

    No. Because no matter how you cut it, one gets in and the other doesn't. Why should I care which is which?

    Now answer my question. Why should the white kid get over the hump?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

  8. #248
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    No. Not at all. All other things being equal, something had to put one over the hump.
    But all other things are NOT equal. The black student enjoyed socioeconomic advantages which the white student did not.

    Why should race trump socioeconomic handicap?
    Last edited by Sig; 12-01-11 at 09:34 PM.

  9. #249
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,524

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by 3doglife View Post
    well that was a racist attack. maybe if the black student put the pipe down and made decent grades he could get into school on his own merits, not his muddy complexion.

    get off the cross buddy, we need the wood.
    Maybe the white kid should put the pipe down too. Since he apparently got the same grades.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

  10. #250
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,524

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    But all other things are NOT equal. The black kid enjoyed socioeconomic advantages which the white student did not.

    Why should race trump socioeconomic handicap?
    Why should socioeconomic handicap trump race?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

Page 25 of 53 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •