View Poll Results: Should an applicants race be a deciding factor for admission to a university?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    9 10.98%
  • NO

    73 89.02%
Page 22 of 53 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 528

Thread: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

  1. #211
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,548

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Does a school have a right to create what they believe is an ideal academic environment?
    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Does a school have a right to create a student body that represents diversity, a mix of ideas and experiences?
    Private school yes. A public or state university? No. Race since it is just a social construct should not be a deciding factor.

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    If you've ever been in a study group with people from different socioeconomic backgrounds--you'd understand the power of a diverse student body.
    You also learn who the weak link is and don't want them in your group. A low achiever is a low achiever no matter what race.

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    If you think the financial aide student with lower SAT scores has nothing to teach YOU... If you think he didn't work his ass off and overcome tremendous obstacles to get there. Then you are the racist.
    So I should assume the guy not studying and drinking beers worked his ass off simply because of his race? Oh that's rich.

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Not the administrators that painstakingly picked out the right mix of students to BETTER their University.
    LOL! Or better yet, to meet the quota.

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Strange that the lilly white Randroids never complain about the football and basketball scholarships. Imagine the Michigan State O-line with only high SAT scores...
    Well a dumb ass that is good at sports should not get a free ride either.

    A study of the Berkeley student body found that those minority students admitted with higher qualifications graduated at a much higher rate than those admitted under “race-sensitive” standards. - Racial Quotas in College Admissions: A Critique of the Bowen and Bok Study | Hoover Institution

    No way, that can't be right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #212
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Private school yes. A public or state university? No. Race since it is just a social construct should not be a deciding factor.
    Could you elaborate. I'm not clear on why you think why a 'public' university should not be allowed to shape its own student body. Explain your reasoning.

    Are public universities not allowed to be competitive with regard to offering a diverse student body?



    You also learn who the weak link is and don't want them in your group. A low achiever is a low achiever no matter what race.
    So, if a person got a lower SAT score, that means they are a low achiever and have nothing to offer the study group?



    So I should assume the guy not studying and drinking beers worked his ass off simply because of his race? Oh that's rich.
    Perhaps you misunderstood. Let me clarify. If you believe a person from a different socioeconomic background who didn't score as high as you on the SAT has nothing to teach you and didn't work his ass off to get into the same school as you, then perhaps you are the racist. I'm not sure where you're getting beers and not studying.

    LOL! Or better yet, to meet the quota.
    What quota are you talking about?



    Well a dumb ass that is good at sports should not get a free ride either.
    The major sports in the NCAA are football and basketball. These two sports are huge form of revenue for the majority of Universities.

    I don't want to stereotype football and basketball players, however.... The football scholarships get better housing, free tutoring services, and they are advised to take an easier class load.

    A study of the Berkeley student body found that those minority students admitted with higher qualifications graduated at a much higher rate than those admitted under “race-sensitive” standards. - Racial Quotas in College Admissions: A Critique of the Bowen and Bok Study | Hoover Institution

    No way, that can't be right?
    It's funny when you far righties post links to things you don't even read. Just because your party is anti-intelectual, doesn't mean you shouldn't read stuff before posting.

    Re-read the first paragraph. (so you linked me to a study that proves there is a difference of opinion, not very conclusive)

    Also, what is the date?

    And how was this study received (back in 1999) by other academics in the same field. You know, his peers.
    Last edited by hazlnut; 12-01-11 at 11:29 AM.

  3. #213
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    A school's purpose is to educate and that's it, not form some pc-tard feel good diversity coalition.
    So, a diverse student body doesn't increase the educational value of the overall experience for each student.

    (I already know the answer, I just want to see what you say)

    And why are upper-middle income students with SAT classes and tutors more qualified than lower income students without those advantages?

    I'm not sure that you understand, each student must meet the minimum qualifications. GPA + SAT are only two of many factors administrators consider when reviewing an application.

    Again I mention, you don't hear a lot of complaining about star running backs who barely qualified for admission.

  4. #214
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post
    I get it. Really the best way to fight racism is to do nothing based on those disadvantaged by race, better would be to do nothing based on race like using only SAT & ACT scores that we can believe have nothing to do with race, best would be to not even recognize race exists. Got it.
    The last part would go a long way into ending racism.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #215
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    So, a diverse student body doesn't increase the educational value of the overall experience for each student.

    (I already know the answer, I just want to see what you say)

    And why are upper-middle income students with SAT classes and tutors more qualified than lower income students without those advantages?

    I'm not sure that you understand, each student must meet the minimum qualifications. GPA + SAT are only two of many factors administrators consider when reviewing an application.

    Again I mention, you don't hear a lot of complaining about star running backs who barely qualified for admission.
    Haz that all sounds good...but there are many more variables ...for example the disadvantaged white kid that busts his ass to get good grades to get into school and works like a dog for a few bucks and gets pass over for a less qualified black...thats just ONE of many variables that have made AA outdated with a big need to be revamped...
    IMHO based on my years of experience in the streets...blacks nor any single race or ethnicity have an exclusive on disadvantaged...disproportionate...yes...AA needs to be redone...parts of it gotten rid of, some updated and maybe some new...but as its written it needs to go

  6. #216
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Race shouldn't be the focus. It should be on economic status. Like Sen Webb said from Virginia, he finds it hard to believe that a poor white kid from coal mining country has advantages over a middle class black kid from NY.

    The fact is the economic class of your parents has more bearing on where you end up than their race.
    Legally, in part due to AA, race can't be the basis for admission. That is why everyone who sues a colege for making a decision based on race wins.

    But,yes, I agree economic issues should be a factor. And whites are not suffering from any real or immagined abuses by colleges concerning race. But if a college does use race, they can be sued.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #217
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Haz that all sounds good...but there are many more variables ...for example the disadvantaged white kid that busts his ass to get good grades to get into school and works like a dog for a few bucks and gets pass over for a less qualified black...thats just ONE of many variables that have made AA outdated with a big need to be revamped...
    I agree that forced or regulated AA is outdated and should be done away with.

    I am specifically talking about an admissions team attempting to create a diverse environment that promotes higher-learing, creativity and vision.

    There are anecdotal examples of cases that seem unfair--however, the goal of current college admissions is to create a diverse and qualified environment--meaning no one gets in who is not ready to handle the course load. (except some of the athletes of course)

    Also, with these anecdotal examples of perceived unfairness, my question is "Where else did you apply?" Success in life comes from within the person. There are advantages to the gaining the access to contacts and network of alumni of powerful universities, however, building a better mousetrap is always an option.

    Or, take the Winklevoss route and sue the builder of the mousetrap.



    IMHO based on my years of experience in the streets...blacks nor any single race or ethnicity have an exclusive on disadvantaged...disproportionate...yes...AA needs to be redone...parts of it gotten rid of, some updated and maybe some new...but as its written it needs to go
    My understanding is that it is mostly a thing of the past.

    Which states still have laws on the books?

  8. #218
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    The last part would go a long way into ending racism.
    Just the last part. ACT and SAT's are only used to weed the field. Everyone admitted has almost universially pasted that minor hurddle.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #219
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Whoppletraps View Post
    If blacks are so equal then how come they have to be patronized like this and get special treatment.
    The root of the black problem is the democrat party's policies of telling black americans they are too stupid to make it on their own without the assistance of a big government under the control of democrat politicians and that they are victims of all non-liberal whites, a racist system and american history.

    The part that gives me pause is that 90+% of black americans regularly vote a straight democrat ticket and the fact that they have so easily accepted the democrat party's evaluation of their intelligence and capabilities makes me question whether they actually are capable of competing in a modern capitalist system, free of government assistance.

    I guess its not racism if the people being discriminated against are white.
    It is undeniable racism but for the last 40 years reality has been twisted and manipulated by the rules and taboos of Political Correctness which has led to government sanctioned and socially accepted racism and anyone who complains or objects is labeled a "Racist".

    Western Civilization has become a Common Sense free zone which helps to eliminate dissent and promote acceptance of PC NewSpeak when it does such things as reclassify illegal aliens as "Undocumented Workers"...White Guilt requires that you hang your head in shame and accept your fate.

    (you can count me out cuz I live in the real world)
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  10. #220
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    The part that gives me pause is that 90+% of black americans regularly vote a straight democrat ticket and the fact that they have so easily accepted the democrat party's evaluation of their intelligence and capabilities makes me question whether they actually are capable of competing in a modern capitalist system, free of government assistance.
    Wow.

    ------

Page 22 of 53 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •