View Poll Results: Should an applicants race be a deciding factor for admission to a university?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

    9 10.98%
  • NO

    73 89.02%
Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 528

Thread: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

  1. #171
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Because no one said "all" except for you.
    I'm trying to walk you through this, step by step. Bear with me.


    (Incidentally, you have implied that much, though you loathe to admit it.)

  2. #172
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Well, #1, I'm not going to explain why you got into school w/o affirmative action. You can do that if you want since that's your business.
    Community college with decent grades? It's not that hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    In any case, supporting AA nor more requires someone to assume minorities can't compete than supporting legacy or athletics admissions requires someone to believe that athletes and legacies cannot compete. There are plenty of people whose race, legacy status and athletic promise is considered when applying who can and do certainly "compete on a level playing field".

    I support AA because I understand that diverse experiences increase the diversity of ideas exchanged on a campus. It should never be the only factor and it should always be a secondary factor, but I have no problem with it being a factor if colleges think it will add to their campus. I support looking at extracurricular activities for the same reason. I support judging a student's GPA and scores relative to the school they attended (and this goes for kids of all races). Race is just another thing to be considered among a bunch of other things.
    If someone ends up getting kicked out because they were let in on race alone, I don't care how much diversity it creates it creates problems by more qualified people who could succeed being left out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #173
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Community college with decent grades? It's not that hard.
    Okay, that's cool.

    If someone ends up getting kicked out because they were let in on race alone, I don't care how much diversity it creates it creates problems by more qualified people who could succeed being left out.
    I haven't advocated that people should be let in on race alone. In fact, I stated the opposite. I haven't seen any other poster in this thread say that and as someone who knows many people who support AA, that's not a common argument of AA proponents. So like I said when you made your first post, you are just distorting actually AA arguments and then criticizing those.

  4. #174
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    I'm trying to walk you through this, step by step. Bear with me.


    (Incidentally, you have implied that much, though you loathe to admit it.)
    I have no idea what you are trying to say here, but your initial post was a strawman. It's that simple.

  5. #175
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    ALL blacks?

    hell, I live in the only county in America where the average black income is higher than the average white income.
    Well then, I am sure you know better than any of us that there is something morally obscene about a welfare class white student with equal grades and SATs to that of an upper middle class black student, being passed over for admissions in favor of the black student for no other effective reason than the black student being black and the white student being white.

  6. #176
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I have no idea what you are trying to say here, but your initial post was a strawman. It's that simple.
    I think you know exactly what I am trying to say.

  7. #177
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by Sig View Post
    I think you know exactly what I am trying to say.
    I really don't so you can continue your conversation without me.

  8. #178
    Professor
    Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    11-29-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,179

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I really don't so you can continue your conversation without me.
    If you're afraid of my beating the crap out of you in a debate, you shouldn't be. I'm way out of your league.

    You really have nothing to prove.

  9. #179
    Professor

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    04-26-13 @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,404
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    given the exceedingly high follow on drop out rate - what makes you think that we are helping them by sending them to a college that they are unprepared for, loading them with student debt, and then stacking the deck against them in the matter of actually earning a degree?

    look, i'm all for education reform for our lower income earning populace; and it's true that minorities in particular get screwed by our public education system. but setting them up for failure later in the system isn't the answer.
    I think every person who has the ability to go to a college or university should have the opportunity to further thier education. I also agree with you if any student regardless of race is not prepared to go should not be put in a situation of where they are expected to keep up with the other students,

    The real problem starts when a child enters school and is expected to achieve the same levels of work, we accept that children of the same age develope physically at a different rate but we expect those same children to develope intellectually at the same speed, our educational system needs to be totally revamped from kindergarden to graduation. A child should progress through school not based on age but on achieving the skills that are needed to progress. If skills are the basis for advancement then every young person who applies for college will be ready academically to continue his/her education, then a lottery system should be used for placement

  10. #180
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: 21st Century Racism Is Thriving In American Academe

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post

    I haven't advocated that people should be let in on race alone. In fact, I stated the opposite. I haven't seen any other poster in this thread say that and as someone who knows many people who support AA, that's not a common argument of AA proponents. So like I said when you made your first post, you are just distorting actually AA arguments and then criticizing those.
    You're asking him to understand nuance. It's not that marginally qualified black students are being chosen over marginally qualified white students. Obviously the next Einstein is not getting into college because his spot was taken by a black kid who can't read.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 18 of 53 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •