View Poll Results: Who is more greedy?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • The 99% who work hard for their money

    11 22.45%
  • The 1% who earn from the labor of their emplyees

    9 18.37%
  • This poll is preposterous

    22 44.90%
  • No Opinion

    1 2.04%
  • Everyone

    6 12.24%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57

Thread: Who's greedy again?

  1. #21
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Who's greedy again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    People have been "greedy" since before the North American continent was discovered by Europeans, people were "greedy" before East Asia was openly traded with, people are inherently "greedy" based on our evolution.

    It's high time we stop pointing the finger at one person, persons and/or society.
    You think everyone is greedy? Yes, I think some people are inherently greedy, but capitalism admittedly pits one against another and is powered by greed, which in turn makes us all greedy. So, in that sense, I disagree with you. I do not believe that the average human being is greedy (and I think it is proven by studies such as the one done in this thread).
    Last edited by whysoserious; 11-26-11 at 08:04 PM.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Who's greedy again?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    You think everyone is greedy? Yes, I think some people are greedy inherently, but capitalism admittedly pits one against another is powered by greed, which in turn makes us all greedy. So, in that sense, I disagree with you. I do not believe that the average human being is greedy (and I think it is proven by studies such as the one done in this thread).
    Greed is wanting more than you need.
    Most people don't need $75k a year.
    Capitalism has been the default system of human trading of resources, since nearly the beginning.

    The fact is that preservation and growth of material possessions is what makes humans pretty successful.
    Before money it was other objects that represented wealth, including but not limited to, spices like salt, sugar, etc.

    Humans, by default, are greedy because it allows us to live longer and be more secure as a species.

    What I find interesting, is that people think this is all new.
    Clearly it's not, otherwise we wouldn't be "greedy" in the first place.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #23
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Who's greedy again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Greed is wanting more than you need.
    Most people don't need $75k a year.
    Says who? You? Apparently wanting more than food, water, and shelter is greedy? No, greed is wanting more than you need at the expense of others. Without scarcity, greed would not exist.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Capitalism has been the default system of human trading of resources, since nearly the beginning.
    I do not see how that makes an ounce of difference. The arcaness of system does neither to prove or disprove the validity of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The fact is that preservation and growth of material possessions is what makes humans pretty successful.
    Before money it was other objects that represented wealth, including but not limited to, spices like salt, sugar, etc.

    Humans, by default, are greedy because it allows us to live longer and be more secure as a species.

    What I find interesting, is that people think this is all new.
    Clearly it's not, otherwise we wouldn't be "greedy" in the first place.
    I do not see any evidence that this argument is true - that unless we can amass insane amounts of wealth and goods, that we would all just be idle and do nothing. And I do not believe that you should be able to cite that as a truth unless you have some actual study or facts to back that up.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Who's greedy again?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Says who? You? Apparently wanting more than food, water, and shelter is greedy? No, greed is wanting more than you need at the expense of others. Without scarcity, greed would not exist.
    Says the definition, although it says an excessive want for more than you need, which is subjective.

    If 5 billion pink ponies existed, we could all ride along happy as clams, farting rainbows.
    Scarcity will exist until someone invents a replicator.


    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I do not see how that makes an ounce of difference. The arcaness of system does neither to prove or disprove the validity of it.
    Actually it does prove the validity of it, because it's been insinuated that greed is some modern phenomena, when it isn't.
    It developed naturally because humans created excess goods and traded it with others, who also had excess goods.


    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    I do not see any evidence that this argument is true - that unless we can amass insane amounts of wealth and goods, that we would all just be idle and do nothing. And I do not believe that you should be able to cite that as a truth unless you have some actual study or facts to back that up.
    Who said anything about idleness?
    Having excess materials is a form of self insurance against loss, in future times.

    Blame it on seasons.
    Winter comes, food becomes scarce, people figured out ways to preserve excess sources of food, to last the winter.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #25
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Who's greedy again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Says the definition, although it says an excessive want for more than you need, which is subjective.

    If 5 billion pink ponies existed, we could all ride along happy as clams, farting rainbows.
    Scarcity will exist until someone invents a replicator.
    Exactly, an excessive amount. You believe that $75k is an excessive amount? And of course, if 5 billion pink ponies existed, most people wouldn't have one because of greed, so no, we wouldn't all be riding them around while farting rainbows.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Actually it does prove the validity of it, because it's been insinuated that greed is some modern phenomena, when it isn't.
    It developed naturally because humans created excess goods and traded it with others, who also had excess goods.
    The ideas behind capitalism may have existed for ages, but it certainly hasn't been practiced that long. For instance, it wasn't but a few centuries ago that private property was even acceptable for the great masses of people in Europe.



    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Who said anything about idleness?
    Having excess materials is a form of self insurance against loss, in future times.

    Blame it on seasons.
    Winter comes, food becomes scarce, people figured out ways to preserve excess sources of food, to last the winter.
    Yes, "necessity is the mother of invention"... not "greed is the mother of invention". I don't recall ever hearing that.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Who's greedy again?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Exactly, an excessive amount. You believe that $75k is an excessive amount? And of course, if 5 billion pink ponies existed, most people wouldn't have one because of greed, so no, we wouldn't all be riding them around while farting rainbows.
    Who decides what's excessive?
    You, me, democratically?

    I can promise you one thing, no one will give us a fair definition to excessive, because it's subjective.
    For me, $75k is excessive.
    If you account what I earn, in benefits and wages, I'm making $30-35k a year, $75k sounds quite excessive to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    The ideas behind capitalism may have existed for ages, but it certainly hasn't been practiced that long. For instance, it wasn't but a few centuries ago that private property was even acceptable for the great masses of people in Europe.
    It's been practiced since man made the first trade.
    Private property predates Europe, ancient burials show that people, even commoners where buried with personal possessions, for the after life.
    They thought they could take it with them.

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Yes, "necessity is the mother of invention"... not "greed is the mother of invention". I don't recall ever hearing that.
    Greed is a natural response for humans.
    We wanted to secure our lot and we did, quite successfully.
    We still do, to this day.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #27
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Who's greedy again?

    I take that back, we already agreed to what was excessively greedy, long ago.
    Don't kill and don't steal, follow those rules and you can own as much as you want.

    I guess we're trying to change the rules again, mid game.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #28
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,252

    Re: Who's greedy again?

    I think all those idiots fighting over tv's and xboxs yesterday are pretty greedy

  9. #29
    Student MrMindSpeaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    maryland
    Last Seen
    12-06-11 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    192

    Re: Who's greedy again?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the most greedy are those who want other people to pay for what they want or blame their own failures on others
    well put my friend, well put!
    Liberty can not be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.

    John Adams

  10. #30
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Who's greedy again?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Who decides what's excessive?
    You, me, democratically?

    I can promise you one thing, no one will give us a fair definition to excessive, because it's subjective.
    For me, $75k is excessive.
    If you account what I earn, in benefits and wages, I'm making $30-35k a year, $75k sounds quite excessive to me.
    To me, $75k is just enough to afford a decent house, pay for four new tires when you need them, put in a new water heater when it goes out, etc. It may be more than you make, but it is clearly not excessive. There is no one making $75k that is flashing money around. Again, you think greed is subjective, but I don't. I already defined it:

    Excess at the expense of others. That's greed.


    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It's been practiced since man made the first trade.
    Private property predates Europe, ancient burials show that people, even commoners where buried with personal possessions, for the after life.
    They thought they could take it with them.
    Private property and capitalism are not the same thing. And, again, in Europe, very few people had the privilege of ownership for most of history. Though I do not see the relevance of this argument anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Greed is a natural response for humans.
    We wanted to secure our lot and we did, quite successfully.
    We still do, to this day.
    Says who? You? Is gluttony a natural response as well? I don't see greed as a natural response anywhere, nor do I think that capitalism has existed for eons, or that greed has ever been a good thing - no matter how you define it or try to phrase it. Now I do agree that capitalism is the best economic/political system we have found so far, that does not mean it does not have its faults and it does not mean there is not a better system yet undiscovered.

    Personally, I don't think a system based on the negative human attribute of greed is a good system. We should be trying our best to find a better one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I take that back, we already agreed to what was excessively greedy, long ago.
    Don't kill and don't steal, follow those rules and you can own as much as you want.

    I guess we're trying to change the rules again, mid game.
    Really? What a cop out. Yes any discussion of the system or it's downsides is "changing the rules". Can you go ahead and change your tag to conservative, please?
    Last edited by whysoserious; 11-26-11 at 11:00 PM.
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •