View Poll Results: Did Democrats cause the super committee to fail on purpose?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, they actually thought a trillion dollar tax hike in a recession was reasonable

    9 12.68%
  • No, it was a bi-partisan failure

    28 39.44%
  • Yes, the plan from the beginning was to fail

    34 47.89%
Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 372

Thread: They did it on purpose

  1. #301
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    So when you inherit a recession, you aren't to blame for it? Hmmmm.
    That'w what the Libbos keep telling us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #302
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That'w what the Libbos keep telling us.
    no one here blaims Bush for the Recession he inherited. that's just a silly strawman argument.

  3. #303
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    [...]


    [...] it looks like significantly higher nominal rates have not brought in higher revenues. in fact, it looks like the higher revenues have come in the lower rate years! gosh, who'da thunk?
    No, in fact it looks like revenue as a percentage of GOP is mostly flat regardless of the top marginal tax rate,
    which means that the GOP claim that an increase in the top marginal tax rate would reduce revenue is false.

    Nice chart, thanks for posting

  4. #304
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    No, in fact it looks like revenue as a percentage of GOP is mostly flat regardless of the top marginal tax rate,
    which means that the GOP claim that an increase in the top marginal tax rate would reduce revenue is false.

    Nice chart, thanks for posting
    Be aware that Hauser's law has been disproven and the last 2 years fall well outside the chart(2009-15 %). Also note that even the years that fall within Hauser's law there is huge variation, and note what happens before and after tax changes. It's kinda illuminating. Also note that cpwill has had this pointed out to him repeatedly.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #305
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    No, in fact it looks like revenue as a percentage of GOP is mostly flat regardless of the top marginal tax rate,
    which means that the GOP claim that an increase in the top marginal tax rate would reduce revenue is false.

    Nice chart, thanks for posting
    if what you say is accurate, then it's also true that raising the top marginal tax rate won't increase revenue.....

    just saying.

  6. #306
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,074

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, if the government gets out of the way and let's people go to work, we'll see more tax revenue?

    Maybe we should try that approach, before we just jack everyone's taxes up. yes?




    Two reasons: 1) Bush had a larger baseline to start from, than Clinton did and 2) Bush inherited a recession from Clinton.

    The government gets out of the way....... what does that even mean? gets out of the way of what exactly?

    A minor recession being but one temporary factor, all things considered Bush inherited probably the best financial situation any incoming president had come into in decades. Can you say "peace dividend"?

    They thought the government was tolling in so much extra money because of he Clinton budgets that they could afford to give huge tax cuts in two of the next three years... and in doing so laid the foundation of their own demise and downfall... along with foreign wars unfunded and untaxed.
    Last edited by haymarket; 11-24-11 at 10:25 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #307
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    if what you say is accurate, then it's also true that raising the top marginal tax rate won't increase revenue.....

    just saying.
    Based upon the chart that is a valid observation. I was wondering if anyone would catch it

  8. #308
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket, replying to another View Post
    The government gets out of the way....... what does that even mean? gets out of the way of what exactly?
    In RightWingSpeak, that means eliminate most regulations and most cabinet departments that don't have anything to do with the military or law enforcement (EPA, HHS, HUD, Education, Energy, SSA, Interior, Agriculture, DOL (especially DOL), DOT, etc), leaving not much more than DOD, FBI, CIA, NSA, and ICE -- a government of soldiers, cops and spies.

    Stalin must be drooling

  9. #309
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The government gets out of the way....... what does that even mean? gets out of the way of what exactly?

    A minor recession being but one temporary factor, all things considered Bush inherited probably the best financial situation any incoming president had come into in decades. Can you say "peace dividend"?

    They thought the government was tolling in so much extra money because of he Clinton budgets that they could afford to give huge tax cuts in two of the next three years... and in doing so laid the foundation of their own demise and downfall... along with foreign wars unfunded and untaxed.
    Get out of the way of the private sector's ability to create jobs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #310
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    In RightWingSpeak, that means eliminate most regulations and most cabinet departments that don't have anything to do with the military or law enforcement (EPA, HHS, HUD, Education, Energy, SSA, Interior, Agriculture, DOL (especially DOL), DOT, etc), leaving not much more than DOD, FBI, CIA, NSA, and ICE -- a government of soldiers, cops and spies.

    Stalin must be drooling
    IS that what it means? Care to point out where I said any of that, or are you just going to keep the propaganda machine rolling?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •