View Poll Results: Did Democrats cause the super committee to fail on purpose?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, they actually thought a trillion dollar tax hike in a recession was reasonable

    9 12.68%
  • No, it was a bi-partisan failure

    28 39.44%
  • Yes, the plan from the beginning was to fail

    34 47.89%
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 372

Thread: They did it on purpose

  1. #21
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    why couldn't there just be spending cuts to start with? bipartisan means the GOP cuts stuff they like (military) and the dems cut stuff they like (social spending and handouts). why should anyone want tax hikes until the government can prove they can live with less. why should any of us have even more income taken from us by a bloated government?
    Why couldn't Republicans put a measly 1% tax increase on the table? A .5% tax increase? This was a misguided line drawn in the sand that put the negotiations into a win/lose scenerio. And ya' know that never works. Tax hikes are inevitable, Turtle. You and I both know that. This was an opportunity to at least try to build some teeny-tiny consensus...some acknowledgement that things have got to change.

    And Republicans failed.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  2. #22
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Why couldn't Republicans put a measly 1% tax increase on the table? A .5% tax increase? This was a misguided line drawn in the sand that put the negotiations into a win/lose scenerio. And ya' know that never works. Tax hikes are inevitable, Turtle. You and I both know that. This was an opportunity to at least try to build some teeny-tiny consensus...some acknowledgement that things have got to change.

    And Republicans failed.
    class warfare is the main argument obama will use in 2012. He will whine about the "rich" not paying their fair share when they are actually the only group that pays more of the income tax burden than their share of the income. If the GOP agreed to a tax hike on the "rich" they are playing into this class warfare scheme. If they agreed to a tax hike on the middle class even worse. why couldn't the dems start with spending cuts? why should someone like me pay any more taxes when I already pay more than millions upon millions of MIDDLE CLASS people pay in income taxes?

    and why should ANYONE pay a dime more until this malignant bloated government can prove it is willing to tighten its belt. the dems wanted tax hikes to JUSTIFY even more social (ie VOTE BUYING) spending



  3. #23
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    class warfare is the main argument obama will use in 2012. He will whine about the "rich" not paying their fair share when they are actually the only group that pays more of the income tax burden than their share of the income. If the GOP agreed to a tax hike on the "rich" they are playing into this class warfare scheme. If they agreed to a tax hike on the middle class even worse. why couldn't the dems start with spending cuts? why should someone like me pay any more taxes when I already pay more than millions upon millions of MIDDLE CLASS people pay in income taxes?

    and why should ANYONE pay a dime more until this malignant bloated government can prove it is willing to tighten its belt. the dems wanted tax hikes to JUSTIFY even more social (ie VOTE BUYING) spending
    No, "class warfare" is how you will try and spin Obama's arguments.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #24
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Republicans never wanted it to succeed either. In their zeal to protect rich people from tax cuts, they will end up raising everyone's taxes when the tax cuts expire. No responsibility.

    I take it you don't want to see military cuts. That's fair, but how do you propose to go after government spending without going after one of the largest beneficiaries of that spending? We'll never be able to fund the spending priorities of either party without raising taxes. If we're going to play favorites on spending, that is.
    Trying to micromanage spending cuts seems ludicrous. Any business / any household can cut 5% from their operating budget without batting much of an eye. And it's not as if our government is run like a lean and mean machine. We all know it's not.

    As an example, a 5% cut in military spending concentrated in all areas except military personnel, retirement benefits and family housing allowances would save about $35 billion all by itself. And that 5%? Most of that could be taken up with tougher negotiations with contractors. Businesses do it alllll the time. The Federal Pie Chart
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #25
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, "class warfare" is how you will try and spin Obama's arguments.
    when that moron claims that the rich are "not paying their fair share" he is both lying and engaging in class warfare



  6. #26
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    class warfare is the main argument obama will use in 2012. He will whine about the "rich" not paying their fair share when they are actually the only group that pays more of the income tax burden than their share of the income. If the GOP agreed to a tax hike on the "rich" they are playing into this class warfare scheme. If they agreed to a tax hike on the middle class even worse. why couldn't the dems start with spending cuts? why should someone like me pay any more taxes when I already pay more than millions upon millions of MIDDLE CLASS people pay in income taxes?

    and why should ANYONE pay a dime more until this malignant bloated government can prove it is willing to tighten its belt. the dems wanted tax hikes to JUSTIFY even more social (ie VOTE BUYING) spending
    A 1% tax increase means nothing to you, if you are who you claim to be. You stand on principle. I respect your right to do that, but understand that tax hikes are coming. And they are not going to be assessed against those 47% who don't pay any. Not any time soon, anyhow. I completely disagree with that, but that's not the point. Reality's the point. And the reality is that we need a combination of tax increases and spending cuts to get out of the mess we're in.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    class warfare is the main argument obama will use in 2012....
    and yet, its the Conservatives who keep using this term. don't they know its an invention of Socialists?

  8. #28
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    when that moron claims that the rich are "not paying their fair share" he is both lying and engaging in class warfare
    Let's look at it, here is what he said:

    If we're going to make spending cuts, many of which we wouldn't make if we weren't facing such large budget deficits, then it's only right that we ask everyone to pay their fair share
    Ok, sounds like you might have a point, except he continued his remarks.

    (it's not) class warfare (to ask) a hedge fund manager to pay the same tax rate as a plumber or teacher.
    Oops, he is talking about the capital gains loophole to paying less in taxes, or the "Buffett rule". So much for your silly assessment.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #29
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    A 1% tax increase means nothing to you, if you are who you claim to be. You stand on principle. I respect your right to do that, but understand that tax hikes are coming. And they are not going to be assessed against those 47% who don't pay any. Not any time soon, anyhow. I completely disagree with that, but that's not the point. Reality's the point. And the reality is that we need a combination of tax increases and spending cuts to get out of the mess we're in.
    principle means

    1) not agreeing to ANY tax hikes until the government proves it can tighten its belt

    2) one percent today-3 percent tomorrow 5 percent next week --NONE OF THAT WILL DECREASE THE DEFICIT but it sure will hurt those of us who already pay too much

    IT ALSO emboldens dems to spend more claiming that the RICH will be taxed to pay for it so the DEMS can buy MORE VOTES of people who think that they have NO DUTY to help pay down the deficit.

    the only tax increases that can possibly stop the deficit from increasing are tax increases on those who DEMAND MORE SPending-and that is not the small voting bloc of the "rich". its the middle class and the lower classes but such a tax hike would cause politicians to lose votes



  10. #30
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Let's look at it, here is what he said:



    Ok, sounds like you might have a point, except he continued his remarks.



    Oops, he is talking about the capital gains loophole to paying less in taxes, or the "Buffett rule". So much for your silly assessment.

    wow, you find one quote of Obumble and ignore all the OTHER times he has whined that it is the RICH who aren't paying their fair share



Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •