View Poll Results: Did Democrats cause the super committee to fail on purpose?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, they actually thought a trillion dollar tax hike in a recession was reasonable

    9 12.68%
  • No, it was a bi-partisan failure

    28 39.44%
  • Yes, the plan from the beginning was to fail

    34 47.89%
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 372

Thread: They did it on purpose

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Government spending also at an all-time high

    guess you forgot to read the next sentence, huh?

    oh, and btw, how was revenue in 2002? 2003? 2004? 2005? 2006?

    look at those numbers, and you will get sick to your stomach.
    Last edited by Thunder; 11-22-11 at 07:21 PM.

  2. #192
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,514

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Government spending also at an all-time high

    guess you forgot to read the next sentence, huh?
    No, I saw it. It's irrelevant to the point I was making.

    Allow me to summarize, you said:



    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I But clearly, the Bush tax-cuts had a negative-effect on Federal revenue.
    I pointed out that the Bush tax cuts generated record revenues. i.e. a positive effect on Federal revenues.

    The article obviously points out that, spending and not tax cuts had a negative effect on the deficit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #193
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    One month? You're basing your argument on one month's worth of tax collections?

    Further from your link:

    The federal budget was in surplus for four years from 1998 through 2001 as the long economic expansion helped push revenues higher. But the 2001 recession, the cost of fighting a global war on terror and the loss of revenue from President Bush’s tax cuts sent the budget back into the red starting in 2002.
    And this gem:

    The administration’s budget sent to Congress in February projects that the deficit will be eliminated by 2012 even if the president achieves his goal of getting his tax cuts made permanent. They are now due to expire in 2010.

  4. #194
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,155

    Re: They did it on purpose

    EVERYBODY (with a brain) knows what needs to happen
    hell, we have had the template for it for over a year: Simpson-Bowles
    revise the tax code and raise taxes while ALSO eliminating lots of discriminatory spending
    plenty of both ... in the right places
    it is as wrong to absolutely insist that no government spending cuts can be made as to refuse to allow tax revenues to increase because congressional representatives stupidly signed a neocon's no-new-taxes petition

    those who have most prospered can now better afford to incur more taxes
    every agency should be made to prioritize each of its discretionary programs and the costs of each
    whatever is not in the top 90% gets eliminated

    Simpson-Bowles also gives the politicians political cover. they point to it and insist there was no other way
    what is there to argue; it even addresses tea party and OWS concerns

    here are some highlights of the Bowles-Simpson plan:

    A reduction in discretionary spending that cuts $200 billion per year
    an across the board freeze on discretionary spending for two years
    Reduce military spending by $100 billion per year
    Reduce farm subsidies by $3 billion
    Tax Reform
    Eliminate most deductions, example home mortgage interest & employer health care
    Lower tax rates and less brackets
    Eliminate special rate for capital gains and dividends
    Restore inheritance tax at 45%
    Reduced corporate tax rate
    Increase gasoline tax
    Control Health care costs
    Retain recent reform, including expansion in coverage
    Strengthen cost cutting mechanisms
    Protect doctors from sharp cuts in Medicare payments
    Malpractice reform (commonly called tort reform)
    Social security revisions
    Increase the cap from $16,000 to $190,00 by 2020
    Reduce benefits for wealthiest 50% of retirees
    Increase age for full benefits from 65 to 67 by the year 2075
    Hardship exemption for unable to work beyond 62


    The Bowles
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #195
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I pointed out that the Bush tax cuts generated record revenues. i.e. a positive effect on Federal revenues.
    Well, yes, you pointed that out, but you failed to make any cogent argument to support it. All you've presented is a coincidence.

    Bush was elected president, then Al Qaeda attacked on 9/11. Can I point out that Bush's election caused 9/11?

  6. #196
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Where did you dream that silly equation up?

    You might oughta hold on to that 20 bucks.
    You don't know the equation to figure out gross income? In fact, apdst, if you can fine me one equation about income/loss that does not at some point include revenue, I'll concede. But considering that is impossible, you'll be looking for a long time (hopefully away from this board).
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  7. #197
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    EVERYBODY (with a brain) knows what needs to happen [...]
    You just disqualified millions of right wing talk media fans

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Here are the hard facts:

    The Clinton Administration raised taxes on the wealthy. Between 1993 & 2000, Federal revenue increased from $1.15 trillion to $2.02 trillion. That's an increase of 75%.

    The Bush Administration lowered taxes on the wealthy. Between 2001 & 2008, Federal revenue increased from $1.99 trillion to $2.57 trillion. That's an increase of 28%.

    So, which works better to raise revenue? Just look at the facts.

  9. #199
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,514

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    One month? You're basing your argument on one month's worth of tax collections?

    Further from your link:



    And this gem:



    The first sentence tells you everything, but I reckon you skipped that part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #200
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,514

    Re: They did it on purpose

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Here are the hard facts:

    The Clinton Administration raised taxes on the wealthy. Between 1993 & 2000, Federal revenue increased from $1.15 trillion to $2.02 trillion. That's an increase of 75%.

    The Bush Administration lowered taxes on the wealthy. Between 2001 & 2008, Federal revenue increased from $1.99 trillion to $2.57 trillion. That's an increase of 28%.

    So, which works better to raise revenue? Just look at the facts.
    When Congress raised taxes, were we in the worst depression since the great depression? I'm thinking we weren't. You?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •