View Poll Results: Would you support an amendment barring corporate and union money from elections?

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    66 37.50%
  • No

    110 62.50%
Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 443

Thread: Would you support an amendment barring corporate and union money from elections?

  1. #121
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support an amendment barring corporate and union money from elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Primarily to provide limits to individual liability.

    There is absolutely no need to confer "personhood" on a non-human entity.

    Other mechanisms could be easily devised to facilitate business and provide liability limits WITHOUT conferring personhood.

    All those people who make up a corporation ALREADY have rights. They have no need for an ADDITIONAL voice.
    please... do elaborate on these easily devised mechanisms.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Would you support an amendment barring corporate and union money from elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    tell that to every media outlet that has ever existed in this country.....

    hell, under your regime , the Federalist Papers couldn't be published...
    Why couldn't they? I must have missed the step where I was in favor of recognizing what speech actually constitutes and where I because a dictator. Please enlighten me. Thanks...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Would you support an amendment barring corporate and union money from elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    please... do elaborate on these easily devised mechanisms.
    Regardless of the other mechanisms... his point is correct. Personhood for corporations is just another form of greed and control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #124
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Would you support an amendment barring corporate and union money from elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    If your conclusion is that voters are dumb, why let them vote in the first place?
    Given the outcome of the last three Presidential elections, there's plenty of evidence to support that conclusion.

    With the First Amendment as it is, there's nothing that can be done. It would take an amendment, but it might not be a bad idea. Democracy has been hijacked by moneyed interests and the two major parties.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Would you support an amendment barring corporate and union money from elections?

    What is a LOBBY? (e.g. the energy lobby)

    A LOBBY is simple a UNION of Corporations. Corps unionize the gain collective bargaining power with Government.

    Corps make a contribution to the Lobbying firm (union) and allow the money to used to buy access and push for their collective interests.


    So, restricting Unions, Corps, and Lobbying groups from access would allow the Fed Gov to work the way it was supposed to.

  6. #126
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support an amendment barring corporate and union money from elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Unless we all have equal access to lobby, this is nothing more than another disingenuous comment. We don't. We can "lobby" all we want by writing them, but we don't have equal access to lawmakers time. We can't lunch with them or get into their offices and present bills for consideration. Do you work for the DC machine or something?
    that's why we have lobbyists, so they can represent other people on the issues.

    for instance,instead of 4 million people trying to bang down congressman's doors or have lunch with them to talk about gun rights, they sent the NRA.

  7. #127
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Would you support an amendment barring corporate and union money from elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Primarily to provide limits to individual liability.

    There is absolutely no need to confer "personhood" on a non-human entity.

    Other mechanisms could be easily devised to facilitate business and provide liability limits WITHOUT conferring personhood.

    All those people who make up a corporation ALREADY have rights. They have no need for an ADDITIONAL voice.
    Personhood is irrevelant to politics anyway. Citizens United did not say anything about corporate personhood. It simply said you can't suppress speech, regardless of the source.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  8. #128
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Would you support an amendment barring corporate and union money from elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Given the outcome of the last three Presidential elections, there's plenty of evidence to support that conclusion.

    With the First Amendment as it is, there's nothing that can be done. It would take an amendment, but it might not be a bad idea. Democracy has been hijacked by moneyed interests and the two major parties.
    You have no right to complain about democracy being hijacked if you don't like it in the first place.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  9. #129
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Would you support an amendment barring corporate and union money from elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    What is a LOBBY? (e.g. the energy lobby)

    A LOBBY is simple a UNION of Corporations. Corps unionize the gain collective bargaining power with Government.

    Corps make a contribution to the Lobbying firm (union) and allow the money to used to buy access and push for their collective interests.


    So, restricting Unions, Corps, and Lobbying groups from access would allow the Fed Gov to work the way it was supposed to.
    lobbyists are not just unions of corporations... that is false.

  10. #130
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Would you support an amendment barring corporate and union money from elections?

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    What is a LOBBY? (e.g. the energy lobby)

    A LOBBY is simple a UNION of Corporations. Corps unionize the gain collective bargaining power with Government.

    Corps make a contribution to the Lobbying firm (union) and allow the money to used to buy access and push for their collective interests.


    So, restricting Unions, Corps, and Lobbying groups from access would allow the Fed Gov to work the way it was supposed to.
    Wow, you don't know what you're talking about.

    Lobbyists can and do work for anyone, not just corporations or groups of corporations.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •