View Poll Results: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    51 55.43%
  • No

    41 44.57%
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 178

Thread: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

  1. #81
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Tyranny over the silent minority is still alive and well because of our judicial process. The problem with the judicial process was that we somehow thought that the judges were going to do their job of unbiased interpretation instead of agenda driven legislation from the bench.
    So it is agenda driven why? Because you disagree with their assessment? What does this have to do with the Constitution and it's authority?
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    ...The problem with the judicial process was that we somehow thought that the judges were going to do their job of unbiased interpretation instead of agenda driven legislation from the bench.
    you mean like when the SCOTUS stopped the perfectly legal & appropriate Presidential election re-count in early 2000?

  3. #83
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    The Constitution most certainly did not prevent discrimination or guarantee basic rights for all at its inception, and not for quite some time afterwards. The tyranny of the majority was alive and well for the first 100+ years.
    That's why I used the word "limit". And to change all that, we don't just stop enforcing laws we disagree with, we change laws to say what we like, because the Law, as interpreted in Courts and written in statutes, trumps an unspoken "natural law" defined as ""what the general populace recognizes as innately right or wrong" or "how society as a whole simply reacts" or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

  4. #84
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    The fact remains that a law disliked by many people were enforceable, contrary to your arguement.
    It wasn't, not really. There was still plenty of alcohol flowing, all the law did was make it criminal for it to flow, which meant that it ended up being sold by people willing to kill their competition. The same is true of today's war on drugs.

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    I know I'm free to believe what I want - the Constitution protects that right - not "natural law" as you define it - which is why I'm glad that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land, and not "natural law" however you want to define it.
    On paper, the Constitution is most certainly the supreme law of the land. In a court of law, it is most certainly the supreme law of the land. What you are not acknowledging is that the vast majority of the geography of this country lies outside of courtrooms, as does the vast majority of the workings of society. The supremacy of the law is a shared hallucination, as demonstrated during every riot or other social upheaval.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  5. #85
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    Tyranny over the silent minority is still alive and well because of our judicial process. The problem with the judicial process was that we somehow thought that the judges were going to do their job of unbiased interpretation instead of agenda driven legislation from the bench.
    You can lay that at the feet of Congress and their bull**** "litmus tests." It used to be that people were nominated for and confirmed to the bench based on things other than their views on the issues of the day.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #86
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    That's why I used the word "limit". And to change all that, we don't just stop enforcing laws we disagree with, we change laws to say what we like, because the Law, as interpreted in Courts and written in statutes, trumps an unspoken "natural law" defined as ""what the general populace recognizes as innately right or wrong" or "how society as a whole simply reacts" or whatever.
    You might want to look at how many times the law of the land has effectively been changed -- in other words, the discontinuation or alteration of enforcement -- by a judge or panel of judges, and how many times the Supreme Court itself refers to natural law.
    Last edited by TacticalEvilDan; 11-20-11 at 06:28 PM.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    ...On paper, the Constitution is most certainly the supreme law of the land. In a court of law, it is most certainly the supreme law of the land.....
    and unless you are a Communist, Fascist, or Anarchist looking to overthrow this country, nothing else matters.

  8. #88
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    So it is agenda driven why? Because you disagree with their assessment? What does this have to do with the Constitution and it's authority?
    No, because their assessment has not constitutional basis.
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  9. #89
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    and unless you are a Communist, Fascist, or Anarchist looking to overthrow this country, nothing else matters.
    I'm not interested in hearing from you again in this thread, Mr. I Know The Constitution and Supreme Court Better Than You, until you get back to me on Marbury v. Madison. Every time I directly challenge you on some clearly demonstrable point you ignore me, and I have nothing to say to you in this discussion except to call you on it each time you try to change the subject.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    No, because their assessment has not constitutional basis.
    I'm sorry, but what is your judicial background that gives you the ability to question the legal judgement of the 9 justices of the Supreme Court?

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •