View Poll Results: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    51 55.43%
  • No

    41 44.57%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 178

Thread: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    See, THAT is why we have a supreme court, to keep boneheads with political agendas from reading into things like that
    no, we have a Supreme Court to interpate the laws of the Constitution when they are in dispute. Like the 2nd Amendment.

  2. #62
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    The 14th amendment was the one designed to actually make the rest of the constitution supersede state law after the civil war. However, it has only been applied through court cases to portions of the constitution. Again, why some states have restrictive gun laws when the constitution says that the government cannot restrict the right to keep and bear arms. If the constitution was the supreme law superseding the states, then no states could have permit or conceal carry laws.
    You are confusing the interpretation of the constitution with the legal purview of the constitution. The constitution applies to every states in the country - all parts of it. No law can violate the constitution which makes it supreme. The interpretation of the second amendment however allows states to regulate guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    You are confusing the interpretation of the constitution with the legal purview of the constitution. The constitution applies to every states in the country - all parts of it. No law can violate the constitution which makes it supreme. The interpretation of the second amendment however allows states to regulate guns.
    as well as the Federal govt.

  4. #64
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    no, we have a Supreme Court to interpate the laws of the Constitution when they are in dispute. Like the 2nd Amendment.
    The only reason the 2nd amendment is in dispute is because liberals with an agenda are seeking a way to override the will of the people and a nine person oligarchy is the best way to accomplish that.
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  5. #65
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    No. When the majority feels that certain action should be made legal, they change the law to make it legal. Many laws that people dislike were enforceable - for example the Prohibition.
    Natural law isn't about what "the majority" feels should be legal or illegal. It's about how society as a whole simply reacts. As for prohibition, it was certainly enforceable, but at a cost far higher than the benefits gained, which is why it was reversed.

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    And if "natural law" is "what the general populace recognizes as innately right or wrong" then "natural law" means even less than nothing - which "general populace" are you talking about, from which time? Go to any state in the US, at any decade, and what the "general populace recognizes as innately right or wrong" could be very different.
    You're free to believe it means even less than nothing. It does not require your belief. It simply is.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #66
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    no, we have a Supreme Court to interpate the laws of the Constitution when they are in dispute. Like the 2nd Amendment.
    So I take it, since you haven't responded to me, that you have not read Marbury v. Madison.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #67
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    The only reason the 2nd amendment is in dispute is because liberals with an agenda are seeking a way to override the will of the people and a nine person oligarchy is the best way to accomplish that.
    When did conservatives start becoming such conspiracy theorists?

    What is your point, friday, and how can you relate it to the topic of the thread?
    Ted Cruz is the dumbest person alive.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    The only reason the 2nd amendment is in dispute is because liberals with an agenda are seeking a way to override the will of the people and a nine person oligarchy is the best way to accomplish that.
    no, the only reason the 2nd Amendment is in dispute is because Conservatives with an agenda think a "well-regulated Militia" means every Tom, Dick, & Harry owning an AK-47, under the supervision of Grandma Doofus Roofus.

  9. #69
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Elections are about public opinion -- natural law is about generally recognized taboos and imperatives.
    Which is why we use a representative system, with a constitution that prevents discrimination and guaranteeing basic rights, so as to limit tyranny of the majority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post

    And I wasn't making an appeal to authority, I was making an appeal to the philosophical body of work of the founders, the worth and content of which should be well-known to anyone with a cursory understanding of basic history and philosophy.

    Brian

  10. #70
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Is the US Constitution the Supreme Law of the United States?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    The only reason the 2nd amendment is in dispute is because liberals with an agenda are seeking a way to override the will of the people and a nine person oligarchy is the best way to accomplish that.
    There are a lot of people out there who have an issue with concealed carry and private ownership of firearms. I think you need to rethink your definition of "the will of the people."
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •