View Poll Results: Does the Occupy Wall Street movement represent the 99%?

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they very much represent their complaints & agenda.

    24 18.32%
  • They represent some of their complaints & agenda, but also have their own unique/radical ideas.

    30 22.90%
  • Not really, their ideas are more represent the complaints & goals of the poor and radicals.

    23 17.56%
  • Not at all! They only speak for a radical fringe!!

    54 41.22%
Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 513

Thread: Does the Occupy Wall Street movement represent the 99%?

  1. #51
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Does the Occupy Wall Street movement represent the 99%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    These are real bills that Democrats put up to address our real problems and voted for with a majority of their party. That is what Congressmen do that represent the majority of the country.

    What bills have the Republicans put up to solve any of the nation's problems???
    That represent the majority of the country?

    There is our problem right there....

    Senators and Congressmen are not required to represent the majority of the country.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #52
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Does the Occupy Wall Street movement represent the 99%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    That represent the majority of the country?

    There is our problem right there....

    Senators and Congressmen are not required to represent the majority of the country.
    Senators and Congressmen are required to represent their constituents (if they wish to be reelected).

    The majority of their constituents have said they want to eliminate the tax breaks for the rich, stop outsourcing jobs, re-regulating the banks, and they want Obama's jobs plan passed.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #53
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Does the Occupy Wall Street movement represent the 99%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    what can a person do with "progressiveness" exactly?

    How can "progressiveness" benefit them?
    I explained that to you in my earlier post.

    Please note, I stated those unemployed who would rather camp than go out and find jobs and get employed.
    I've seen no "unemployed who would rather camp than go out and find jobs and get employed."

    Unemployed people pay nothing in income taxes........ so the tax rate of themselves and others does not affect them....
    That's why a majority of people support the American Jobs Act, an alternative to welfare until enough consumer demand can be created for increased production by the private market.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #54
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Does the Occupy Wall Street movement represent the 99%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Senators and Congressmen are required to represent their constituents (if they wish to be reelected).

    The majority of their constituents have said they want to eliminate the tax breaks for the rich, stop outsourcing jobs, re-regulating the banks, and they want Obama's jobs plan passed.
    How do you know?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Does the Occupy Wall Street movement represent the 99%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    How are tax increases on the wealthy going to help the unemployed who would rather go camp out than keep working to find a job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Returning to some of the progressiveness that has been cut over the last 30 years, makes it easier on the middle class that are being forced into poverty at an alarming rate. Eliminating the tax breaks for companies for outsourcing jobs will have an immediate impact on jobs lost to overseas investment by greedy businesses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I've seen no "unemployed who would rather camp than go out and find jobs and get employed."
    Really?



    OWS aren't like working people..

    They want hand outs.... not reduced taxes on middle class and increased taxes on upper class.....

    They have NO business talking about taxation....

    If they can afford to camp out for 8 weeks straight.... they aren't paying taxes.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #56
    Student Boring Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago Suburb
    Last Seen
    10-01-13 @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    230

    Re: Does the Occupy Wall Street movement represent the 99%?

    I think the frustration they represent is something that is shared by a large portion of the 99%, but most of the specific ideas coming out of OWS are only representative of a small portion of the country. Of course it's impossible for any group to be representative of 99% of the country: just now saw some girl on the news saying "I have $100000 in debt because I had to pay for an education which should have been free." Don't lump me in with someone so ridiculous just because we're both in the same age group and both relatively poor. I certainly don't think a college education should be free (though I wouldn't be against tuition going down ). If I can't get a job after college, shame on me for choosing a dead-end field of study.
    "The enemy isnít conservatism. The enemy isnít liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t."

  7. #57
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,529

    Re: Does the Occupy Wall Street movement represent the 99%?

    Well with the attention they are getting due to violence etc add to that no clear message or anything really. I would have to say the bulk of the movement representative about 20% of the people on the fringe.

    Just a guess but what the hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #58
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Does the Occupy Wall Street movement represent the 99%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    How do you know?
    Because, there are about 20 polls that say the same thing, and have you noticed the people protesting in the streets, willing to be arrested over this ****?
    Last edited by Catawba; 11-18-11 at 05:14 AM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #59
    Global Moderator
    Custom User Title
    LaughAtTheWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Seoul/Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,542

    Re: Does the Occupy Wall Street movement represent the 99%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Because, there are about 20 polls that say the same thing, and have you notice people protesting in the streets, willing to be arrested over this ****?
    Yes, they're willing to be arrested for assaulting police and bystanders, as well as doing drugs and denying access to public areas to thousands
    "The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all" - Joan Robinson
    "The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries" - Winston Churchill

  10. #60
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Does the Occupy Wall Street movement represent the 99%?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Really?



    OWS aren't like working people..

    They want hand outs.... not reduced taxes on middle class and increased taxes on upper class.....

    They have NO business talking about taxation....

    If they can afford to camp out for 8 weeks straight.... they aren't paying taxes.


    They are unemployed because the "job creators" aren't using their tax cuts to create jobs. Hell of good reason to eliminate those tax cuts, wouldn't you say?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •