View Poll Results: Should Kagan recuse herself

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    19 73.08%
  • no

    7 26.92%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 90 of 90

Thread: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

  1. #81
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You supported my point by pointing out that he stands to make monetary gains based on the results of the case.

    He stands to profit more if he is the author of the dissenting opinion in opposition to Obamacare. Because of that, his impartiality is legitimately in question.





    Not surprisingly, your create an argument that defeats your own position about Kagen. When you say "Thomas would vote like he always does, conservative" you admit that these judges are anything but impartial. The same exact logic can be applied to Kagen to excuse her from recusing herself because Kagen would more than likely vote exactly as expected, liberal.


    So we get to the crux of the issue here. You yourself are incapable of impartiality. You only want Kagen to recuse herself because it will help achieve the goal you wish to see achieved.

    So here's the ultimate question: in what land of fairy tales do you think yourself competent to judge another's impartiality when you are not capable of impartiality yourself?
    If Thomas wrote the dissenting opinion in opposition to Obamacare, he would be doing what everyone expected him to do, regardless of how his wife makes a living. Only if he flipped flopped and went against everything he has stood for during his entire professional career, could you claim he appeared to less than impartial. What this means is Thomas will be not compromised by his wife's employment.......period.

    Kagan, on the other hand, may be asked to judge her own legal work.....we don't know what she or who she consulted while Solicitor General of the US while this bill was drafted into law and utlimately signed by her former boss. Yeah, that's the same thing as the tortured and impossible assumption that Thomas may be biased and will show this bias by reaching the very predictable conclusion everyone expects of him in this case.

    Your psycho-babble on who is impartial enough to form a valid personal opinion is lame.
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  2. #82
    Educator Black_Zawisza's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    12-20-13 @ 04:15 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    604

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    No. No direct conflict of interest.
    "I, [NAME], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich, and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and perform all the duties incumbent upon me as [TITLE] under the Constitution and laws of the United States. So help me God."
    Sworn loyalty to the United States and the Constitution? So has Congress and the president. How's that working out for us?

  3. #83
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post
    If Thomas wrote the dissenting opinion in opposition to Obamacare, he would be doing what everyone expected him to do, regardless of how his wife makes a living. Only if he flipped flopped and went against everything he has stood for during his entire professional career, could you claim he appeared to less than impartial. What this means is Thomas will be not compromised by his wife's employment.......period.
    The funny thing here is that your defense of Thomas' impartiality relies entirely on him being anything but impartial. In fact, your argument is basically "We know he's going to be impartial because he is so heavily biased already that we know how he's going to vote regardless!'

    My position on this ethical question is based on the presumption that these judges are actually impartial (which is, of course, a false assumption, as you have so clearly demonstrated here in your "defense" of Thomas' impartiality).


    Kagan, on the other hand, may be asked to judge her own legal work.....we don't know what she or who she consulted while Solicitor General of the US while this bill was drafted into law and utlimately signed by her former boss. Yeah, that's the same thing as the tortured and impossible assumption that Thomas may be biased and will show this bias by reaching the very predictable conclusion everyone expects of him in this case.
    Two things:

    1. Kagen's former boss is also her current boss: The American public. Ultimately, we are all of these people's bosses.

    2. You are speculating based on her previous job and inventing the claim that she would be judging her own work. That, by it's very nature, makes your questioning of her impartiality in this case unreasonable.


    Where your logic really fails, though, is that by pointing out that Thomas' conclusion in this case is predictable regardless of financial gain, you are accusing him of being partial regardless of any monetary rewards he might receive. Thus, your argument would require him to recuse himself of any and all cases from this point forward since he is not, by his very nature, impartial.



    Your psycho-babble on who is impartial enough to form a valid personal opinion is lame.
    You previously accused me of creating a strawman clearly indicating that you were ignorant of what a strawman is. As a service to you (because I am a helpful sort of chap), I will demonstrate how the above is a strawman.

    Here you have altered my argument that your lack of impartiality makes you an incompetent judge of another person's impartiality to being about the formation of valid personal opinions in general. This is an extremely distorted variation of what my actual claim was.


    See, a strawman is when someone creates an exaggerated or distorted form of another person's argument and ignores the actual argument made by the person. Now that you know what a straw man is, You should be able to do two things from here on out:

    1. You can avoid accusing someone falsely as you did before with me
    2. you can avoid creating them yourself.

    This is, of course, assuming that you are competent enough at logic to recognize the difference between my actual argument and the one you have invented and attributed to me.

  4. #84
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Thomas has been consistently against the expansion of federal powers that are not clearly spelled out in the Constitution. BOCare is a massive expansion of the federal governments power, even DOJ lawyers have admitted that. Thomas will undoubtedly rule against the mandate. You may accuse him of lacking objectivity and being closed minded, I would call him principled. I expect the liberals to vote like they always do and the conservatives to do the same. That is not the issue even though you seem to be bogged down on it.

    Your silliness about Kagan working for the public is just that, silliness. She worked for BO and Holder and that's it.

    Now let's look at whether she is a lying POS and if she lied under oath when she claimed she didn't have anything to do with BOCare. But before we go there let's visit this issue. I didn't invent anything if you had read what I wrote. Did you skip over the word "may" on purpose? By making the claim I definitively stated " she would be judging her own work", you created a straw man. Kettle meet pot.

    This is a long read but some here may find it interesting. Given this track record......Kagan should recuse herself and she should be removed from the court for lying under oath.

    DOJ Refuses Judiciary Committee
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  5. #85
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Thomas has been consistently against the expansion of federal powers that are not clearly spelled out in the Constitution. BOCare is a massive expansion of the federal governments power, even DOJ lawyers have admitted that. Thomas will undoubtedly rule against the mandate. You may accuse him of lacking objectivity and being closed minded, I would call him principled. I expect the liberals to vote like they always do and the conservatives to do the same. That is not the issue even though you seem to be bogged down on it.

    Your silliness about Kagan working for the public is just that, silliness. She worked for BO and Holder and that's it.

    Now let's look at whether she is a lying POS and if she lied under oath when she claimed she didn't have anything to do with BOCare. But before we go there let's visit this issue. I didn't invent anything if you had read what I wrote. Did you skip over the word "may" on purpose? By making the claim I definitively stated " she would be judging her own work", you created a straw man. Kettle meet pot.

    This is a long read but some here may find it interesting. Given this track record......Kagan should recuse herself and she should be removed from the court for lying under oath.

    DOJ Refuses Judiciary Committee
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  6. #86
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post
    Thomas has been consistently against the expansion of federal powers that are not clearly spelled out in the Constitution. BOCare is a massive expansion of the federal governments power, even DOJ lawyers have admitted that. Thomas will undoubtedly rule against the mandate.
    You are basically saying that since he was never going to be viewing this case impartially, the fact that he has benefited from opposition to this legislation is irrelevant.

    But to be fair, he has supported federal powers being expanded when doing so helps certain conservative causes more than a few times.

    His voting record might be totally different if more of those issues cropped up.

    You may accuse him of lacking objectivity and being closed minded, I would call him principled.
    Despite the fact that you have had strawmen explained to you, you still choose to create one here. Why would I call him those things?

    I'm simply agreeing with you when you say that he is biased in the way that he rules. Most of the justices are just as biased as he is.

    I expect the liberals to vote like they always do and the conservatives to do the same.
    As do I.

    That is not the issue even though you seem to be bogged down on it.
    Uh, I'm not the one who used that as a matter of defense for one of the two justices in question. That was you. If you are now saying that it isn't part of the issue, you are rejecting the defense of Thomas you created.


    Your silliness about Kagan working for the public is just that, silliness.
    Compelling argument. Utterly devoid of any logic or common sense, but compelling none the less.

    She worked for BO and Holder and that's it.
    Who are their bosses?

    I didn't invent anything if you had read what I wrote. Did you skip over the word "may" on purpose?
    Of course not. I specifically said that you were "speculating".

    She may have been ****ing Osama bin Laden in the ass with a strapon dildo, too.

    That is an invented claim as well, and it is based on my speculation that she looks like the kind of person who staps on dildos and ****s terrorists in the ass with them.

    I use that example to demonstrate the unreasonableness of the tactics you are using to question her impartiality.

    By making the claim I definitively stated " she would be judging her own work", you created a straw man.
    So now the list of words/terms you don't know the meanings of is:

    Straw man
    Speculation

    Kettle meet pot.
    Your literacy issues do not make me a hypocrite.

    This is a long read but some here may find it interesting. Given this track record......Kagan should recuse herself and she should be removed from the court for lying under oath.
    Ah, so not only are you attacking her impartiality in this case, but have her convicted of perjury without so much as a trial. Talk about impartiality! :

  7. #87
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    We can continue this exercise in mental masturbation until the kleenex box is empty and we are dehydrated. I have no interest in pursuing that outcome.

    The link I posted strongly suggests Kagan is up to her neck in crafting the laws she is now being asked to review. Your tortured theory on the impartiality of Thomas is irrelevant since he will undoubtedly vote like he has on all similar issues.....he likes a very limited federal government and BOCare is just the opposite. Have the last word.......
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  8. #88
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post
    Have the last word.......
    Have you ever noticed the only people who say this kind of thing are the one's who absolutely positively have to have the last word on an issue, but like to project that desire on others?

  9. #89
    Sage
    soccerboy22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    A warm place
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 10:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    10,723

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Have you ever noticed the only people who say this kind of thing are the one's who absolutely positively have to have the last word on an issue, but like to project that desire on others?
    Well now I have the last word. Suck it.
    Boston: City of Champions. New England Patriots: 2001, 2003, 2004, 2014, and 2016 Boston Red Sox: 2004, 2007 and 2013 Boston Celtics: 2008 Boston Bruins: 2011 Boston University Men's Hockey: 2008



  10. #90
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy22 View Post
    Well now I have the last word. Suck it.
    ****. I'm out of kleenex, so I'll have to swallow.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •