View Poll Results: Should Kagan recuse herself

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

    19 73.08%
  • no

    7 26.92%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 90

Thread: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

  1. #71
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    He wasn't born in kenya but even if he was he would still be allowed to be president. He was NATURAL born citizen because of his mom. Just like george romney and john mccain were allowed to run even though they were not born in america.
    I probably shouldn't be feeding the troll at this point, but actually that's not true. Ann Dunham would have been below the legal age for her son to have been a natural-born citizen if she had given birth to him outside of US territory.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  2. #72
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I probably shouldn't be feeding the troll at this point, but actually that's not true. Ann Dunham would have been below the legal age for her son to have been a natural-born citizen if she had given birth to him outside of US territory.
    This is what i found. I see nothing about an age requirement. Can you send me a link?
    Birth to U.S. Citizen Parents ("Acquisition")

    In many circumstances, even though a child is born outside the United States, if at least one parent was a U.S. citizen at the time of the child's birth, the child automatically "acquires" citizenship. When this child marries and has children, those children may also acquire U.S. citizenship at birth.
    Last edited by 99percenter; 11-16-11 at 02:10 PM.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  3. #73
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Actually obama graduated in the top 15% of his class at Harvard. Something you don't get by affirmative action. You think obama won swing states like ohio and virginia because of his skin color? People were fed up with bush and the GOP. Even racists voted for obama. Thomas on the other hand was only picked because of his skin color. Undeniable fact. He should not even be on the SCOTUS. You should really get an education. It might do you some good.
    Prove BO earned that ranking? Shown us how he even got into Harvard when he didn't graduate from Columbia with honors? How did he get into Columbia in the first place? How did he become president of the Harvard Law Review? He never published anything either before or after he was given that affirmative action slot. I assume you do know the Harvard Law Review had changed it's policy prior to BO and decided they needed to have more people of color in the ranks........you do know this don't you? What Wasserstein his SAT score?

    BO is the greatest affirmative action tool bag to walk the planet. Don't believe me, listen to him talk without a TelePrompTer.
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  4. #74
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post
    Prove BO earned that ranking? Shown us how he even got into Harvard when he didn't graduate from Columbia with honors? How did he get into Columbia in the first place? How did he become president of the Harvard Law Review? He never published anything either before or after he was given that affirmative action slot. I assume you do know the Harvard Law Review had changed it's policy prior to BO and decided they needed to have more people of color in the ranks........you do know this don't you? What Wasserstein his SAT score?

    BO is the greatest affirmative action tool bag to walk the planet. Don't believe me, listen to him talk without a TelePrompTer.
    Why should he release his grades? bush didn't. his grades were leaked. Only republicans use affirmative action. Clarence thomas and michael smith both got their spots because of affirmative action. We can tell by their incompetence. You still can't get through your head that obama was elected by a majority of americans (thanks to bush's incompetence) so any affirmative actions claim are baseless.

    And for the teleprompter thing, every president uses one. Obama is just good at it. Bush was bad at it.

    Its okay. Its your right to be uneducated and ignorant and i will fight for that right.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  5. #75
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Why should he release his grades? bush didn't. his grades were leaked. Only republicans use affirmative action. Clarence thomas and michael smith both got their spots because of affirmative action. We can tell by their incompetence. You still can't get through your head that obama was elected by a majority of americans (thanks to bush's incompetence) so any affirmative actions claim are baseless.

    And for the teleprompter thing, every president uses one. Obama is just good at it. Bush was bad at it.

    Its okay. Its your right to be uneducated and ignorant and i will fight for that right.
    Like I said before.....you think BO is the Chosen One, I say "prove it". We have never had a president that we know so little about........never. Everything about that clown is hidden, erased, locked down.........untouchable. If BO was half the intellect you libtards dream he is, he and his handlers would have published all of his accomplishments years ago. He's got nothing to brag about.

    It's always hysterical watching the BO tools spin and spin and spin as they try to create the image BO is anything other than an affirmative action clown that talks cool, is half black and he isn't Bush.

    For the record, BO isn't qualified to sniff Thomas' shorts.
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  6. #76
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post
    Like I said before.....you think BO is the Chosen One, I say "prove it". We have never had a president that we know so little about........never. Everything about that clown is hidden, erased, locked down.........untouchable. If BO was half the intellect you libtards dream he is, he and his handlers would have published all of his accomplishments years ago. He's got nothing to brag about.

    It's always hysterical watching the BO tools spin and spin and spin as they try to create the image BO is anything other than an affirmative action clown that talks cool, is half black and he isn't Bush.

    For the record, BO isn't qualified to sniff Thomas' shorts.
    How am i a obama tool? I don't even like him. I realize that he is better than bush but thats not saying much because bush set the bar so low. He was chosen alright. By the american people. Thats the difference between democracy and affirmative action. I see you still refuse to acknoweldge the basis for clarence thomas's appointment. Even he acknowledges it was affirmative action. Maybe you will wake up one day and see the truth.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  7. #77
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,704
    Once you get past your partisan rambling, the reality is that it is what it is. Our system says the pres submits, senate confirms, and if so a justice is a justice for life. The senate has one shot at saying no. Once they confirm...too bad. Unless there is actual misconduct then no justice should ever recuse themselves and if they do they should step down permanent. One persons opinion.

  8. #78
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Once you get past your partisan rambling, the reality is that it is what it is. Our system says the pres submits, senate confirms, and if so a justice is a justice for life. The senate has one shot at saying no. Once they confirm...too bad. Unless there is actual misconduct then no justice should ever recuse themselves and if they do they should step down permanent. One persons opinion.
    I tend to agree with this. My one issue is if it is absolutely certain a justice would be impartial due to public statements or a slam dunk case that their investment in the issue would lead them to form a decision before hearing arguments. Of course justices are human and will have some biases, so I exclude most instances and say only for the most obvious ones. I don't know whether Kagen's comments are enough here but it is pretty bad.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #79
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post
    You were saying his impartiality was compromised since he would be influenced by what benefits his wife. If that is true, we can expect Thomas to support BOCare since his wife would make a ton on money fighting his decision. Wrong again. Your tortured and meritless theory goes up in flames when it appears Thomas would vote like he always does, conservative, and this vote would not help his wife's lobbying career since this issue would die if Thomas gets his way. How exactly did that support your point?
    You supported my point by pointing out that he stands to make monetary gains based on the results of the case.

    He stands to profit more if he is the author of the dissenting opinion in opposition to Obamacare. Because of that, his impartiality is legitimately in question.



    If Thomas votes to support BOCare, I will completely agree with you.
    Not surprisingly, your create an argument that defeats your own position about Kagen. When you say "Thomas would vote like he always does, conservative" you admit that these judges are anything but impartial. The same exact logic can be applied to Kagen to excuse her from recusing herself because Kagen would more than likely vote exactly as expected, liberal.


    So we get to the crux of the issue here. You yourself are incapable of impartiality. You only want Kagen to recuse herself because it will help achieve the goal you wish to see achieved.

    So here's the ultimate question: in what land of fairy tales do you think yourself competent to judge another's impartiality when you are not capable of impartiality yourself?

  10. #80
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,172

    Re: Should Kagan recuse herself from the BOCare case?

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post

    Thomas is a rock solid conservative judge, that's why he was picked. It may have crossed Bush's mind the nomination of a black jurist would be a good thing as well. At the end of the day Thomas has written numerous solid legal opinions and he has voted consistently on all matters before him.
    He's a solid conservative judge, yes. It is a little hard to overlook that Bush happened to choose another black guy to replace Thurgood Marshall. There were probably other judges with a similar resume who didn't get the nod because Bush didn't want to take the political heat for picking someone who wasn't black.

    I'm not saying Thomas was unqualified. But I do think the fact that he's black put him over the top of other qualified judges.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •