View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 98 of 183 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast
Results 971 to 980 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #971
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by maquiscat View Post
    The OP is making a point on a specific situation not general flag flying. Flying the US flag in immediate post Revolutionary War is a comparable situation where as general flag flying is not. The OP specified this later in the thread. And at 82 pages I don't blame you for not going through the whole thing. I semi-withdrew when my last post was followed by about 10 new pages before I could get back the next day.
    should have edited it in on the first post, I generally start scrolling faster skimming over the thread after reading the thread topic starter on post 1, not looking to see if the topic was changed in post 493 of the thread. It will be ok.
    Last edited by barbarian_style; 11-18-11 at 02:15 AM.

  2. #972
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,710

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    If people wanted the Confederate flag to simply be a statement of Southern pride, I wish someone would just create a new flag from scratch and fly it. As long as it was deliberately designed to not have the racist and treasonous connotations that the Stars and Bars does, then hell, I just might support it.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  3. #973
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    From the northern POV it was a United States fort on United States soil.
    FluffyNinja had the perfect response below.And as far as the northern point of view. Well, they had the point of view that their regions economic interests were more important than correctly applying the constitution towards trade, so I'm less than sympathetic to their particular thinking at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Can we legally build a US army fort in the middle of The People's Republic of China and then occupy it without their consent? Why weren't the Dutch, Spanish and British allowed to keep and occupy their forts within US territory after the US was formed and our boundaries established? Do you realize how absurd your argument here is?


    By the way, to add to my response to your first line, ever hear of Eminent Domain?


    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    My comment was in reply to the farce of "the South wasn't looking for a fight." They didn't want a fight, so they moved their cannons into a position where they could fire on Ft. Sumter....it just doesn't follow logically. Even if they were moving into a position where they could defend themselves, they obviously saw that a fight would be necessary.
    How do you figure that the south was looking for a fight. The south declared intent to leave the union in writing. The south requested that Union troops leave southern territory after secession, which the north refused. Southern generals refused the idea of marching into the north in lieu of a defensive war. I've heard a few historians say that marching north may have actually turned the odds around in the war(though we'll never know). So no, the south wasn't looking for a fight, just to be left alone.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #974
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,296

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    If people wanted the Confederate flag to simply be a statement of Southern pride, I wish someone would just create a new flag from scratch and fly it. As long as it was deliberately designed to not have the racist and treasonous connotations that the Stars and Bars does, then hell, I just might support it.
    It would be even better if people would educate themselves on what flag they're actually talking about. Obviously, some folks are so ignorant of the subject that they don't even know what the, "Stars and Bars", is.

    And, again, I would love to know how many Episcopals we have, here and how many are Libbos.
    Last edited by apdst; 11-18-11 at 10:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #975
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,073

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Can we legally build a US army fort in the middle of The People's Republic of China and then occupy it without their consent? Why weren't the Dutch, Spanish and British allowed to keep and occupy their forts within US territory after the US was formed and our boundaries established? Do you realize how absurd your argument here is?


    By the way, to add to my response to your first line, ever hear of Eminent Domain?

    The US army wasn't occupying a sovereign nation. It was in the United States. The CSA was never recognized by any nation due to the illegality of secession and therefore never existed.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  6. #976
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,296

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    The US army wasn't occupying a sovereign nation. It was in the United States. The CSA was never recognized by any nation due to the illegality of secession and therefore never existed.
    England and France recognized the Confederacy, not that it holds any relevance and any countries that didn't recognize the Confederacy wasn't refusing to do so, because of the illegality of secession.

    It's not like there was an international law against secession.

    Where do ya'll come up with this stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #977
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Ft. Sumter was a federally-owned fort before the South seceded. Are folks here suggesting that as soon as the South unilaterally decides it is a soverign state, ALL territory retro-actively becomes CSA land, thereby retro-actively making the Federal ownership of Ft. Sumter....illegal???

    boy...talk about chutzpah.

    Not only does this thread have folks excusing the Civil War as a war over property rights, but the same folks are now suggesting that those same property rights are only valid when a country unilaterally secedes..without ANY international recognition whatsoever.

    so basically, if Muslim extremists unilaterally declare part of London to be a seperate country, they can then attack a police station, as that station is now illegally occupied by "foreign troops", aka the British police dept.

  8. #978
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,073

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    England and France recognized the Confederacy, not that it holds any relevance and any countries that didn't recognize the Confederacy wasn't refusing to do so, because of the illegality of secession.

    It's not like there was an international law against secession.

    Where do ya'll come up with this stuff?
    England and France didn't recognize the rebels and in fact refused to buy their cotton because of slave labor. British decided to get their cotton from india instead. But you are right. That's beside the point. The only nation's opinion that matters is the US and the south should have asked for permission to leave. They knew that they had to try and forcibly secede because the North would not have allowed it because secession is explicitly prohibited by our constitution.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  9. #979
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,296

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    England and France didn't recognize the rebels and in fact refused to buy their cotton because of slave labor. British decided to get their cotton from india instead. But you are right. That's beside the point. The only nation's opinion that matters is the US and the south should have asked for permission to leave. They knew that they had to try and forcibly secede because the North would not have allowed it because secession is explicitly prohibited by our constitution.
    You don't have a clue, do you? The South accounted for 70% of all exports leaving the United States prior to 1860.

    Wanna take a wild guess at what those exports were and where they were going?

    You can't run around on half-cock, claiming to be smarter and more informed than the rest of us and then say something that incredibily ignorant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #980
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,296

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Ft. Sumter was a federally-owned fort before the South seceded. Are folks here suggesting that as soon as the South unilaterally decides it is a soverign state, ALL territory retro-actively becomes CSA land, thereby retro-actively making the Federal ownership of Ft. Sumter....illegal???

    boy...talk about chutzpah.

    Not only does this thread have folks excusing the Civil War as a war over property rights, but the same folks are now suggesting that those same property rights are only valid when a country unilaterally secedes..without ANY international recognition whatsoever.

    so basically, if Muslim extremists unilaterally declare part of London to be a seperate country, they can then attack a police station, as that station is now illegally occupied by "foreign troops", aka the British police dept.
    Does Islam stand for terrorism?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •