View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 95 of 183 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #941
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,180

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    It ceased to be Federal property when the state of South Carolina seceded. According to your assertions I suppose that the city of San Antonio and the Alamo are still legally the property of Mexico, right?
    The fort was federal property in the same way that if you buy a house that is your property. You're basically defending South Carolina's right to seize property that they want without any recompense to the owners. When somebody says they fired the first shots, the comeback is "We asked nicely first." Asked nicely to illegally seize property?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #942
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    The fort was federal property in the same way that if you buy a house that is your property. You're basically defending South Carolina's right to seize property that they want without any recompense to the owners. When somebody says they fired the first shots, the comeback is "We asked nicely first." Asked nicely to illegally seize property?
    indeed, calling Ft. Sumter "illegally occupied Confederate property", just because the South unilaterally secceded, is justifying the theft of private property.

  3. #943
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,180

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    By the way, I'd like to appeal to your rational side for a moment here (if that side does indeed exist). Do you or any who share your position on this issue, actually, for one moment, believe that the Confederacy desired war with the Union? That this was their original intent? That they wanted to take on an opponent that was twice their size, had a population at least five times greater, was better equipped, had more railroads, more money,more resources, and a much larger manufacturing base? Before you answer, know that I can, and will provide direct (and verifiable) quotes from Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, and any number of Southern Senators which will prove the contrary.
    I know what Jefferson Davis said. That guy was a bigger liar than Nixon. Truthfully, I don't trust what any politician says. Basically, no matter what Jeff Davis, Lee, or some random ex-Senator said, they were all playing the age old game of politicians covering their asses.

    What did South Carolina think when they brought their cannons to within range of Ft. Sumter? It was a nice place to picnic?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #944
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,991

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    And where does splitting these hairs get you really?????

    When you are reduced to splitting hairs in a debate, you've failed.
    This absurd claim of his tory was made by apdst repeatedly. He stated that he would prove that all eleven Confederate states state wide referendums on secession plus an additional three border states also held them.

    What I will do, however, prove that all 11 Confederate states and 3 border states had state wide referendums on secession.


    He ended up showing that only three did and in one of those three- Virginia - the results were so split that the state divided into two different pasts and the state of West Virginia was created.

    This is far from splitting hairs. It is getting it right and exposing the extremist lies of the apologists defending secession, treason and slavery.
    Last edited by haymarket; 11-17-11 at 10:17 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #945
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I acknowledged those similarities in my post when I said, "And while those who eventually formed the Confederacy remained in the Union, the comparison to MLK, the Tea Party and any other similar people and organizations was an accurate one." I guess you ignored that and the rest of your post has nothing to do with my point. So since it's quite clear that you'd rather ignore what I've said than be honest, I'll make it simple.

    Here is the original post we're talking about:


    Nobody has argued that fighting against the American government is treason. We have argued that making war against the government and forming a new nation is treason. MLK and the Black Panthers did not do that. The Confederacy did. If you want to keep liking posts and making posts that distort our arguments, then by all means, continue your dishonesty, but know that I'll continue to call it out.
    And again, the south didn't fight at first. The south simply exited the union, the north decided to stay and occupy southern territory and then.....only then did the south fight.. Leaving isn't treason, not by any stretch of constitutional interpretation. I most certainly did answer your point.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #946
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I know what Jefferson Davis said. That guy was a bigger liar than Nixon. Truthfully, I don't trust what any politician says. Basically, no matter what Jeff Davis, Lee, or some random ex-Senator said, they were all playing the age old game of politicians covering their asses.

    What did South Carolina think when they brought their cannons to within range of Ft. Sumter? It was a nice place to picnic?
    And what did the North think was going to happen when they maintained a fort on southern property?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #947
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    And what did the North think was going to happen when they maintained a fort on southern property?
    perhaps they could have negotiated a peaceful turnover of the fort?

    but they didn't have to, as the fort was Federal property. didn't the South fight the North over property rights????

    interesting conundrum.

  8. #948
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    And again, the south didn't fight at first. The south simply exited the union, the north decided to stay and occupy southern territory and then.....only then did the south fight.. Leaving isn't treason, not by any stretch of constitutional interpretation. I most certainly did answer your point.
    And again, this is an argument that has absolutely nothing to do with the false nature of dumbasdirt's comment.

    Nobody has argued that fighting against the American government is treason as he has said we have. You liked his post and you continue to defend his post as if it is correct. That is dishonest.

  9. #949
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    And again, this is an argument that has absolutely nothing to do with the false nature of dumbasdirt's comment.

    Nobody has argued that fighting against the American government is treason as he has said we have. You liked his post and you continue to defend his post as if it is correct. That is dishonest.
    Okay, then tell me what's wrong with it. I've given you my honest reasons.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #950
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quick question, because this "state's rights vs slavery" thing is always fought over incessantly. Were the seceding states fighting to secure any rights other than the right to own other people?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •