View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 91 of 183 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 910 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #901
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    We were supposed to have a strong federal govt. The founders tried a weak govt with the articles of confederation. that didnt work so they created a strong federal govt.
    Yes, they created a stronger federal government by delegating to it a larger list of powers. However, they were very clear that the powers were limited and all powers not delegated were reserved to the states.

    Please point to the power in the constitution to restrict withdrawal of any state.

  2. #902
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    We were supposed to have a strong federal govt. The founders tried a weak govt with the articles of confederation. that didnt work so they created a strong federal govt.
    No, they tried a slightly strongER federal government.

    The original intent was still to have a weak federal government and leave most of the governing to the states.

    That doesn't seem to be the case today.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #903
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,300

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Secession was always illegal. The south new what they were doing was illegal. You cannnot seize federal property. If china came and said all right we are going to take away florida form you guys would you say its legal. Same thing happened during the civil war. Insurgents tried to steal american property. That's unacceptable.
    That's impossible. Secession wasn't ruled on, until 1869.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #904
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,300

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    Thanks.

    My contention is that their opinion is not based upon the constitution and is therefore invalid.

    Of course, they think they're right, and they got the guns, so my opinion and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee.
    I understand your point, however I do agree that Supreme Court Rulings are the law of the land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #905
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Nonsense. There are many southerners I like. Like al gore.
    Al Gore couldn't even carry his home state of Tennessee in the 2000 presidential election. I'm glad someone likes him; you can take him if you want him. He's no Southerner.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  6. #906
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,073

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's impossible. Secession wasn't ruled on, until 1869.
    The US constitution was there long before that. Why would the supreme court try to rule on it before someone tried to secede? Secession has always been illegal.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  7. #907
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,300

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Nonsense. There are many southerners I like. Like al gore.
    What do you think Al Gore Sr.? Afterall, he voted against the Civil Rights Act.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #908
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,300

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Seems like that's what a lot of the hicks here think.
    Why the racism?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #909
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,073

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Al Gore couldn't even carry his home state of Tennessee in the 2000 presidential election. I'm glad someone likes him; you can take him if you want him. He's no Southerner.
    Yes. He isnt a hick like you want him to be. Attended Harvard. Won a nobel prize. Those are characteristics that are frowned upon in the south.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  10. #910
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    that's nine people.
    That's nine more than you originally believed. And I thought that Conservatives were supposed to be the closed-minded bunch.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •