View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 79 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 790 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #781
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    well, considering the unprovoked attack on Fort Sumter, the Confederate flag sure ain't a symbol of peaceful coexistence.

  2. #782
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    well, considering the unprovoked attack on Fort Sumter, the Confederate flag sure ain't a symbol of peaceful coexistence.
    How was it unprovoked? Union soldiers were occupying a Confederate Fort and refused to leave when asked to do so.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  3. #783
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    How was it unprovoked? Union soldiers were occupying a Confederate Fort and refused to leave when asked to do so.
    it was unprovoked because the CSA attacked an American fort without first trying to negotiate its surrender with the USA. it was unprovoked because the United States had not shot first.

  4. #784
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    it was unprovoked because the CSA attacked an American fort without first trying to negotiate its surrender with the USA. it was unprovoked because the United States had not shot first.
    This fort is smack dab in the middle of Charleston Harbor, in South Carolina, a state which legally seceded and was no longer a member of the United States. A sovereign state has the right to defend its own territory last time I checked.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  5. #785
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    eah, I'm not really sure what your point about it was last time. Do you somehow not think that the court held, in very clear black and white, that states do not have the right to secede? Because it did.
    My point was what it was based on in relation to the constitution was bogus. What he claims to have power that makes secession illegal is the introduction that holds no power and meant as an introduction. Even if Chase ignored(he knew) what the word nation means in the context it was used in.


    Becoming a state in the US is an agreement that lets in perpetuity. It cannot later be revoked. This isn't wishy washy or even arguable.
    The idea the country is indissoluble is the same exact kind of crap that you hear in the state of alliance about "under God, indivisible"(which btw somehow makes two errors in three words which is actually impressive) that it is ignorant of the fact that we are a country of nations united for a common cause from the founding of the country to this day. It's historical record, and was not changed by the ending of the AOC.

    Btw, while the argument is being made that the original contract only holds true for the original 13 which Texas would not fall under it was understood that all future members would have the same deal and that all states would have equal rights after that point. Texas or any other state would not be an exception therefore.
    Last edited by Henrin; 11-16-11 at 09:37 PM.

  6. #786
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    This fort is smack dab in the middle of Charleston Harbor, in South Carolina, a state which legally seceded and was no longer a member of the United States. A sovereign state has the right to defend its own territory last time I checked.
    the secession was legal? according to which law?

    the fort belonged to the United States military. it was occupied by American soldiers. it was attacked, unprovoked.

  7. #787
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    the secession was legal? according to which law?
    The constitution, specifically the 10th amendment.

  8. #788
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    the secession was legal? according to which law?

    the fort belonged to the United States military. it was occupied by American soldiers. it was attacked, unprovoked.
    Explain how secession was illegal under the Constitution at the time. You may want to go back and read from some posters in this thread who've already claimed this and could not provide Constitutional evidence to back it up. Let me save you the time..........the Constitution did not expressly prohibit secession and the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court said so in 1864 and again in 1869. The only thing you will find are a few ancillary ex post facto SCOTUS renderings from 10-20 years later which just happen to mention that the CSA was an illegal entity for the benefit of upholding the majority opinions in said cases. No Confederate EVER stood trial for treason. Why not?
    Last edited by FluffyNinja; 11-16-11 at 09:45 PM.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  9. #789
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,072

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    This fort is smack dab in the middle of Charleston Harbor, in South Carolina, a state which legally seceded and was no longer a member of the United States. A sovereign state has the right to defend its own territory last time I checked.
    Secession is explicitly prohibited by the constitution. Therefore secession is illegal and the CSA never existed. The attack on fort sumter was an act of treason by pro-slavery rebels.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  10. #790
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Secession is explicitly prohibited by the constitution. Therefore secession is illegal and the CSA never existed. The attack on fort sumter was an act of treason by pro-slavery rebels.
    Okay. Try this. Keep saying it over and over and over again. Then check back tomorrow and see if HISTORY has decided to agree with you?
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •