View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 78 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #771
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It is completely true.
    if only.

    ---

  2. #772
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    The supreme court ruled that states cannot secede in Texas v. White in 1869.
    ..........................and again................


    Of course this ruling was going to be made POST Civil War!!!
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #773
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    The supreme court ruled that states cannot secede in Texas v. White in 1869.
    Already dealt with and done with I would think. If you don't think so, try to defend it.

  4. #774
    Educator snilloctjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    El Paso, TX USA
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    648

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    The supreme court ruled that states cannot secede in Texas v. White in 1869.
    Thank you now that is the kind of factual reply I like. The ruling says a state cannot unilaterally seceed, wonder if that leaves the door open for a petition by any number of states to request secession?
    Silent sobs
    Invisible tears
    Life enveloped
    in unspoken fears.

  5. #775
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by snilloctjc View Post
    Thank you now that is the kind of factual reply I like. The ruling says a state cannot unilaterally seceed, wonder if that leaves the door open for a petition by any number of states to request secession?
    If you're asking whether or not states can come together and secede, I would imagine not because of the Contract Clause in Article I of the Constitution:

    No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

    In other words, if states petition together, it could be argued that they are petitioning as a confederation and their petition is therefore unconstitutional.

  6. #776
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,165

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ever hear of territories and statehood conventions?
    If Arkansas had did not choose do be a state, do you think they'd be independent? They'd be a territory. Still in the US.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #777
    Educator snilloctjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    El Paso, TX USA
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    648

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    If you're asking whether or not states can come together and secede, I would imagine not because of the Contract Clause in Article I of the Constitution:

    No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.

    In other words, if states petition together, it could be argued that they are petitioning as a confederation and their petition is therefore unconstitutional.
    Not sure I'd buy that understanding of the clause. It's intent was to bar states from engaging in foreign policy and treaties. States have a long history of petitioning the SC as a group.

    To my way of thinking a Constitutional Amendment could make secession an option pretty cleanly
    Silent sobs
    Invisible tears
    Life enveloped
    in unspoken fears.

  8. #778
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by snilloctjc View Post
    Not sure I'd buy that understanding of the clause. It's intent was to bar states from engaging in foreign policy and treaties. States have a long history of petitioning the SC as a group.
    True. However, in Williams v. Bruffy the Supreme Court rule that the entire Confederacy was an illegal organization because of the Contract Clause meaning that it interpreted the clause that way.

    WILLIAMS V. BRUFFY, 96 U. S. 176 :: Volume 96 :: 1877 :: US Supreme Court Cases from Justia & Oyez
    Contract Clause - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  9. #779
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Of course this ruling was going to be made POST Civil War!!!
    Of course it was. When else would the court address the issue? The Civil War was the only time when states actually tried to secede. The supreme court doesn't rule on things until they actually form some kind of controversy. Isn't that a good thing? It's a limitation on the power of the branch of government that isn't elected.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Already dealt with and done with I would think. If you don't think so, try to defend it.
    Yeah, I'm not really sure what your point about it was last time. Do you somehow not think that the court held, in very clear black and white, that states do not have the right to secede? Because it did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas v White
    When, therefore, Texas became one of the United States, she entered into an indissoluble relation. All the obligations of perpetual union, and all the guaranties of republican government in the Union, attached at once to the State. The act which consummated her admission into the Union was something more than a compact; it was the incorporation of a new member into the political body. And it was final. The union between Texas and the other States was as complete, as perpetual, and as indissoluble as the union between the original States.
    Becoming a state in the US is an agreement that lets in perpetuity. It cannot later be revoked. This isn't wishy washy or even arguable.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  10. #780
    Educator Black_Zawisza's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    12-20-13 @ 04:15 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    604

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    It can be reasonably considered a symbol of treason (which, if you ask me, is not necessarily a bad thing).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •