View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 50 of 183 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #491
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    But that's the thing. Those who fly the Confederate flag today are Americans. They are living in one country and flying the flag of another.

    Which is my problem with those who fly confederate flags. Its no different than someone flying a Mexican,British,Canadian or some other country's flag. It's unpatriotic to be flying the flag of another country period.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 11-14-11 at 05:04 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #492
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Yeah... and screw those mexicans for doing it too....
    The fact that the Confederacy's existence consisted primarily of rebelling against the US and levying war upon it has no bearing? Mexico means many things besides the military conflicts between it and the United States. The Confederacy, on the other hand, is primarily characterized by its opposition to the United States. A Mexican flag, while slightly disloyal, is hardly the same thing.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #493
    Professor
    Penderyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    UK, Cymru mostly.
    Last Seen
    05-03-17 @ 09:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,618

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    If your ancestors fought a war in which a great many of them died, you are surely going to have feelings about their symbol of that struggle, even if you feel that part of their motivation was less than perfect?

  4. #494
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    No. Under the tenth amendment it is legal for the states to leave the nation and judging from the fact that the people voted on it the answer is clearly everything was legally done. After they asked the union to leave from their now sovereign and independent nation the union simply ignored the order. That action alone was an act of war which lead to the attack on fort sumter. The united states of America was created as a union of willing members and when those members are unwilling the path was left open for them to leave and that path was promised to them to be there as a condition of them joining. The founders might not have liked the prospects but they never said it was illegal even after the AOC. The ruling that happened after the civil war was without doubt affected by the civil war itself. If the supreme court ruled it fell under the tenth they would be ruling the war was unconstitutional and that would put blame on the union for not leaving fort sumter when asked by the new sovereign nation. They would be ruling against themselves and knowing the judges on the panel there was no doubt they would not do such a thing. The action taken by the states was therefore not illegal and therefore the flag is not a symbol of treason.
    Last edited by Henrin; 11-14-11 at 05:29 PM.

  5. #495
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,137

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post


    Would someone please kindly tell her to remove her clothes because they are offensive?
    Gladly!

    Excuse me, miss? You're going to have to get naked.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  6. #496
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,137

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No. Under the tenth amendment it is legal for the states to leave the nation and judging from the fact that the people voted on it the answer is clearly everything was legally done. After they asked the union to leave from their now sovereign and independent nation the union simply ignored the order. That action alone was an act of war which lead to the attack on fort sumter. The united states of America was created as a union of willing members and when those members are unwilling the path was left open for them to leave and that path was promised to them to be there as a condition of them joining. The founders might not have liked the prospects but they never said it was illegal even after the AOC. The ruling that happened after the civil war was without doubt affected by the civil war itself. If the supreme court ruled it fell under the tenth they would be ruling the war was unconstitutional and that would put blame on the union for not leaving fort sumter when asked by the new sovereign nation. They would be ruling against themselves and knowing the judges on the panel there was no doubt they would not do such a thing. The action taken by the states was therefore not illegal and therefore the flag is not a symbol of treason.
    Stop couching it in the language of "I respect the Constitution." Bull crap. If you respected the Constitution, you wouldn't see it as a temporary arrangement from the 1780s.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #497
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Stop couching it in the language of "I respect the Constitution." Bull crap. If you respected the Constitution, you wouldn't see it as a temporary arrangement from the 1780s.
    Exactly. The convoluted reasoning in that Henrin post hurt just to read through.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #498
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Stop couching it in the language of "I respect the Constitution." Bull crap. If you respected the Constitution, you wouldn't see it as a temporary arrangement from the 1780s.
    The act fell and still does fall under the tenth amendment. The courting ruling that it didn't was in the interest of the union that just waged an illegal war that killed thousands of people.

  9. #499
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,706

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The act fell and still does fall under the tenth amendment. The courting ruling that it didn't was in the interest of the union that just waged an illegal war that killed thousands of people.
    Utterly amazing that the US Supreme Court - the official body whose legal opinion counts - disagreed with you on both of your claims. Imagine that!
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #500
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Utterly amazing that the US Supreme Court - the official body whose legal opinion counts - disagreed with you on both of your claims. Imagine that!
    The claims I made are obvious and without fail, it does fall under the tenth. You need to show me evidence I failed somewhere. You are doing nothing but what you usually do. The courts are right, and you are wrong. That is not logic, its bull****. It doesn't matter how many times you do it, it is always going to be a poor excuse of an argument.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •