View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 43 of 183 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #421
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Wow, this thread is still going. I don't think that the Confederate Flag is a symbol of treason currently since it is not actively pursued as representing rebellion. However, it certainly was a symbol of treason and it was certainly renounced when the South lost. The Confederate Flag is a symbol of losers, wanna be rebels holding onto some grossly ignorant notion of the "south rising again". It won't. The South lost. It's done, it's over. The North was superior and won out in the end. Our flag lived, theirs dissolves.
    They didn't win because they were superior, but that's a whole different thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #422
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They didn't win because they were superior, but that's a whole different thread.
    Whatever get's you to sleep at night. Maybe some more S'mores schnapps. Hahahaha.

    But whatever, South lost. Their flag can go with them. Into the past and into memory.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #423
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Whatever get's you to sleep at night. Maybe some more S'mores schnapps. Hahahaha.

    But whatever, South lost. Their flag can go with them. Into the past and into memory.
    Right, the South did lose, but there's no need to revise history to state that fact. Thatone comment is a perfect example of how people have come to believe that slavery was the soul reason that the south seceded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #424
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They didn't win because they were superior, but that's a whole different thread.
    I agree. The North won because the South was inferior.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  5. #425
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I don't know if Lincoln did say such thing. However I tend to disregard rulings by the SCOTUS when it comes secession. They were obviously biased and let that biasness show during that time.
    I do.

    Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war

    Gettysburg Address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    render thanks to our Heavenly Father for these inestimable blessings, that they then and there implore spiritual consolation in behalf of all who have been brought into affliction by the casualties and calamities of sedition and civil war

    Abraham Lincoln: Proclamation 88 - Day of Public Thanksgiving for Victories During the Civil War
    And whereas, when our own beloved Country, once, by the blessing of God, united, prosperous and happy, is now afflicted with faction and civil war,

    Abraham Lincoln declares day of fasting - August 12, 1861
    So we have a Senator and a President. We also have the Supreme Court, but we can remove them if you'd like to. Like I said, at best ambiguous.

  6. #426
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Right, the South did lose, but there's no need to revise history to state that fact. Thatone comment is a perfect example of how people have come to believe that slavery was the soul reason that the south seceded.
    I don't care what you try to claim. For all the "superiority" of the South you may want to claim; they lost. Their cause lost. They had to renounce the Confederacy, it's flag died. The Confederate flag now is the flag of losers.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #427
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorgasm View Post
    I agree. The North won because the South was inferior.
    Stop with the revisionism. It doesn't become you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #428
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    A voice with followers. IE there were a bunch of people that knew the truth, stated it, and yet was still not believed.



    Since Galileo didn't work for you how about another example? There are millions of people that believe God exists and yet there are millions of people that believe that God doesn't exist. Which one is true or not doesn't matter. What the people believe is what we are talking about. You claim that they all knew better due to all the people stating the facts. If that was true then why doesn't everyone believe in God? Or are athiests?
    And this is still this.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #429
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I don't know if Lincoln did say such thing. However I tend to disregard rulings by the SCOTUS when it comes secession. They were obviously biased and let that biasness show during that time.
    All Supreme Court decisions are biased. There's no such thing as an objective Supreme Court decision. That's just the legal reality.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  10. #430
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,006

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That's where you're going wrong, again. Nowhere have I justified, or defended slavery. Political correctness can make people see things the wrong way and once tey start seeing one thing the wrong way, they see everything the wrong way.
    Apdst, lets look at this calmly and factually. You are without a doubt the single most sympathetic apologist for the South, for their institutions and for their actions of any other single poster on this board. And you seem proud of this distinction and relish in it. You do that to the extent that you will invent and create out of thin air phony "facts", made up "statistics" and in general provide "information" which even you cannot substantiate with any verifiable links or data. You are so eager to defend the South and their treasonous actions and the Southern institutions that you go to these lengths despite its damage to your own credibility and reputation here. That is saying something when somebody will go that far just trying to win an internet debate that they will engage in both lies and intellectual fraud to hope to do so.

    I know of no other person here apdst who goes to those same lengths as you do. I have lots of disagreements with Turtle and there are times I want to reach through the screen and grab him by the lapels and scream and try to force him to prove his beliefs, but I have never found him to simply make stuff up or intentionally falsify what is information. I disagree with many libertarians and conservatives here but I do not see them falsifying and engaging in lies to try to win an internet argument.

    Not only do you do this apdst, but you use 'sources' that are so tainted and so discredited that even Wikipedia will not allow them on their site and they are about as permissive as possible and allow member editing on almost everything. The latest use by you of somebody on the issue of blacks who owned slaves came down to you using the words of a convicted murderer serving a life sentence in Indiana and the views were published in Aryan supremacy and white supremacy newsletters. His views were so unusual, so extreme and so out of the mainstream that nobody could provide any verification for their claims. That is the source of your 'information'.

    In my humble opinion based on several college degrees in Political Science ad History and teach both subjects for over 33 years, that indeed makes you a defender of the South and its institutions and actions - slavery being one of them.
    Last edited by haymarket; 11-13-11 at 12:52 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •