View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 2 of 183 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #11
    Educator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    801

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Rebellion against the country, which includes that large, central (northern... not really) government, is treason. The Confederate rebels were all traitors, by the most literal definition of the term. Although that gets even more complicated because legally, the south didn't actually secede. They only tried to. So, legally, no treason took place. But according to the narrative of the southern rebels, they made their own country, and then levied war on the United States. That is treason.
    I agree with that. But the people who fly it today are not doing those things. They are simply identifying with that brand of rebellion to a lesser extent. Just like wearing a cross doesn't make you a Christian, but a lot of people wear crosses because they want to identify with some of the basic principles of sacrificial love. I don't think we should arrest everyone who flies the rebel flag on the suspicion of treason.
    Get informed: UNICEF foreign adoption policy is killing orphans and the US gives $132 million to UNICEF every year. Stop the madness.
    For the best news and commentary on the 2012 election from the GOP perspective, visit www.whitehouse12.com.

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,178

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Treason doth never prosper.
    Why does it never prosper?
    For if it prosper.... none dare call it treason!
    - the Bard.

    The US Flag is a flag of treason as much as the Confederate flag. The single biggest difference is that the United States won their treasonous war, and the Confederate States lost theirs.
    Last edited by Goshin; 11-12-11 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #13
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by friday View Post
    I agree with that. But the people who fly it today are not doing those things. They are simply identifying with that brand of rebellion to a lesser extent. Just like wearing a cross doesn't make you a Christian, but a lot of people wear crosses because they want to identify with some of the basic principles of sacrificial love. I don't think we should arrest everyone who flies the rebel flag on the suspicion of treason.
    Interesting, I hadn't known that.
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  4. #14
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Rebellion against the country, which includes that large, central (northern... not really) government, is treason. The Confederate rebels were all traitors, by the most literal definition of the term. Although that gets even more complicated because legally, the south didn't actually secede. They only tried to. So, legally, no treason took place. But according to the narrative of the southern rebels, they made their own country, and then levied war on the United States. That is treason.

    I'm glad this digression was interesting enough to warrant its own thread.
    So were the founding fathers, so what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Treason doth never prosper.
    Why does it never prosper?
    For if it prosper.... none dare call it treason!
    - the Bard.

    The US Flag is a flag of treason as much as the Confederate flag. The single biggest difference is that the United States won their treasonous war, and the Confederate States lost theirs.
    How is the US Flag a flag of treason? If you're talking about it being a treasonous flag relative to the British Empire, then that treason is not an example of the contradiction that I am pointing out in this thread. The US flag represents the United States and consequently flying it in the United States makes sense. However, the Confederate flag represents those who did not want to belong to the United States.

    The biggest difference between the US flag and the Confederate flag is not the one lost and the other won - it's the one belongs to those who want to belong to this country and the only belongs to those who do not.

  6. #16
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    So were the founding fathers, so what?
    The founding fathers weren't traitors to the United States.

  7. #17
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    The founding fathers weren't traitors to the United States.
    Irrelevant to the statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #18
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    How is the US Flag a flag of treason? If you're talking about it being a treasonous flag relative to the British Empire, then that treason is not an example of the contradiction that I am pointing out in this thread. The US flag represents the United States and consequently flying it in the United States makes sense. However, the Confederate flag represents those who did not want to belong to the United States.
    The confederate battle flag (or any other flag for that matter) means what ever the person looking at it wants it to mean, period. It is nothing but a piece of material with a design on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    The biggest difference between the US flag and the Confederate flag is not the one lost and the other won - it's the one belongs to those who want to belong to this country and the only belongs to those who do not.
    Bunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #19
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    There are several threads on the Confederate flag that dance around this question.

    Many people, usually, if not always, conservatives, argue in favor of the Confederate flag and the desire to fly it or place it within the public domain. Oftentimes, they refer to it as if it is merely an innocent symbol of United States history, a symbol of state's rights, a symbol of fighting against far reaching federal government and sometimes even a symbol of patriotism.

    However, these arguments, to me, seem like revisionist nonsense. The Confederate flag represents treason. It was the flag of people whose actions were not based in love of their country, but in a decision to give up on their country and abandon it in order to form a new one. It was a flag flown by those who decided that they no longer wished to be a part of the United States and that they no longer wished to solve their problems while remaining Americans.

    Consequently, it seems obvious to me that the Confederate flag is not one that would be flown proudly by Americans, but one that would be flown proudly by those who no longer wish to be Americans. For this reason, it seems ridiculous to allow such a flag to be present on anything belonging to or issued by the state as it represents those who want to disassociate themselves from the state. It also seems ridiculous for anyone who considers themselves a patriot to fly the flag of people who abandoned their patriotism. Am I right about all of this? If not, why not?
    Isn't that funny? I've never-ever thought of support of the Confederate Flag as an historic symbol being a left/right thing. I'm surprised you think that...never heard it before. I guess I don't look at the Civil War as being treason. In the least. I look at it as states deciding to exert their states' rights and wanting to start their own union. I'm not sure I could ever think of seccession as treason. It's not the same thing.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #20
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    The confederate battle flag (or any other flag for that matter) means what ever the person looking at it wants it to mean, period. It is nothing but a piece of material with a design on it.

    Bunk.
    People use symbols to represent things. The Confederate flag is a symbol that was used to represent people who longer wanted to be a part of the United States. The irony of flying the flag of people who did not want to be a part of the United States as a symbol of patriotism within the United States is not difficult to see.

Page 2 of 183 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •