View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 182 of 183 FirstFirst ... 82132172180181182183 LastLast
Results 1,811 to 1,820 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1811
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Agreed. Cases? Any answer to my other thoughts about what a symbol represents? Library closes iin 10 minutes... don't think less of me if I don't answer a post now, OK?
    I don't know what the "Cases?" question is referring to, but as far as symbols. I've said multiple times that the meaning of a symbol exists relative to the person viewing it. However, my amendment to that statement is that a symbol also represents what it factually represents. The Nazi flag factually represents an antisemitic regime. And as long as the SC upholds its ruling, the Confederate flag factually represents treason.

  2. #1812
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Well, we had what I thought was a sarcastic back and forth with him about that very post. I could be wrong and will let him inform us.
    Read this and be afraid, be very afraid...

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1059981865
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #1813
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Fair enough. Cases please?
    Texas v. White and Williams v. Bruffy. There was a 3rd, but I can't remember.

    And even if so... does a case about the Confederacies actions make all symbols of the Confederate treasonous? Is the Chinese flag one of Crimes against Human Rights? Is the Iranian flag one of sexism? Is that it? One action decides the entirety of the symbol?
    No, one action does not decide the entirety of a symbol. The main action of a group decides the symbol. There were plenty of Christians in the Confederacy, but the flag does not represent Christianity. However, because the entire purpose of the Confederacy was to do something that has been ruled treason, its flag represents treason.

  4. #1814
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I don't know what the "Cases?" question is referring to, but as far as symbols. I've said multiple times that the meaning of a symbol exists relative to the person viewing it. However, my amendment to that statement is that a symbol also represents what it factually represents. The Nazi flag factually represents an antisemitic regime. And as long as the SC upholds its ruling, the Confederate flag factually represents treason.
    You said that SCOTUS declared the Confederate guilty of treason. What cases did that happen in?

    Regarding what it represents... you are arguing the subjective nature again. The SC is not the ultimate authority on what people think or have opinions on. I understand your point, but they have no say on who thinks what... only whom can do what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #1815
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,853

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Texas v. White and Williams v. Bruffy. There was a 3rd, but I can't remember.


    No, one action does not decide the entirety of a symbol. The main action of a group decides the symbol. There were plenty of Christians in the Confederacy, but the flag does not represent Christianity. However, because the entire purpose of the Confederacy was to do something that has been ruled treason, its flag represents treason.
    I'll get to this tomorrow... time to get the girls and head to the beach again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #1816
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,726

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Damn this Pacific Ocean from keeping me from my desire to own a slave in the USA!

    People have all sorts of views now, don't they?
    Guess we'll have to settle for freedom. Oh, well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I did not think you would resort to stupidity over a real argument. Guess I was wrong.
    If you want to post a moral defense of slavery, by all means, go ahead. Just don't get upset if I post a scathing critique of it.

    BTW, there is some serious irony here with a black guy defending slavery and a white guy opposing it.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  7. #1817
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Guess we'll have to settle for freedom. Oh, well.

    If you want to post a moral defense of slavery, by all means, go ahead. Just don't get upset if I post a scathing critique of it.

    BTW, there is some serious irony here with a black guy defending slavery and a white guy opposing it.
    See Bodhisattva, I told you he was serious.

    Pretty scary.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 11-29-11 at 02:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #1818
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    How does FN's post erase the judgment of the Supreme Court? I already explained to him that it doesn't and that disagreeing with the Supreme Court (as pro-lifer's do everyday for Roe v. Wade) does not erase their judgment. The SC said it's treason and illegal. Last time I checked, what the SC says is the law, so...unless you have a lawyer...
    That os just the thing.... they never said it was treason......
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #1819
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    It's certainly not a symbol of reason.

  10. #1820
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Read this and be afraid, be very afraid...

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1059981865
    I'm afraid I just saw a liberal take a conservative to school.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •