View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 18 of 183 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #171
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    The problem here is that Southerns divorce the slavery issue from Southern Pride.
    The rest of you guys don't see it.
    Very few Southerners want slavery.

    As for me, I am a Southern 1st, everything else 2nd.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #172
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The problem here is that Southerns divorce the slavery issue from Southern Pride.
    The rest of you guys don't see it.
    Very few Southerners want slavery.

    As for me, I am a Southern 1st, everything else 2nd.
    But what exactly is Southern Pride, and how does it connect to the Confederate Flag? There are no doubt plenty of reasons to be proud of being from the South . . . southern hospitality, tradition of serving one's country, and all that . . . but that isn't what the Civil War was about at all. So it's hard to see the connection between that kind of pride and the confederacy.

    I guess you could be proud of standing up for yourselves, but it is hard for me to legitimately separate that from what specifically the South was standing up against. And that is not something to be proud of.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  3. #173
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The problem here is that Southerns divorce the slavery issue from Southern Pride.
    The rest of you guys don't see it.
    Very few Southerners want slavery.

    As for me, I am a Southern 1st, everything else 2nd.
    I can see Southern pride being separated from the issue of slavery, as it should be, but why this symbol? Is that really the symbol of southern pride that we want? We, as Southerners, decided that the best flag to represent us is the one that was created when we seceded from the Union in an argument over State rights, the current president, new laws, and the issue of slavery? We want to continue remembering one of the most costly wars in American history that was fought mainly due to the barbaric institution of owning others?

    Not me. I am a member of the human race, an American, and then a Southerner, in that order, and I choose not to celebrate ignorance.

  4. #174
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    But what exactly is Southern Pride, and how does it connect to the Confederate Flag? There are no doubt plenty of reasons to be proud of being from the South . . . southern hospitality, tradition of serving one's country, and all that . . . but that isn't what the Civil War was about at all. So it's hard to see the connection between that kind of pride and the confederacy.

    I guess you could be proud of standing up for yourselves, but it is hard for me to legitimately separate that from what specifically the South was standing up against. And that is not something to be proud of.
    The core principle behind the war was not "slavery is good," it was "the federal government has exceeded it's lawful authority."
    Whether or not it was in relation to, slavery, etc, is immaterial.
    The South was in the ****ty position of being on the wrong side of history and they lost the war, so they didn't get to write the history books

    Then again, I see a lot of people saying, that they should of not rebelled and worked something out.
    Does that mean, you guys would of been cool with slavery, if that were part of the deal in working things out?

    The Confederate flag is just symbolic of Southern Nationalism.
    That's what we have.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #175
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The core principle behind the war was not "slavery is good," it was "the federal government has exceeded it's lawful authority."
    Whether or not it was in relation to, slavery, etc, is immaterial.
    The South was in the ****ty position of being on the wrong side of history and they lost the war, so they didn't get to write the history books

    Then again, I see a lot of people saying, that they should of not rebelled and worked something out.
    Does that mean, you guys would of been cool with slavery, if that were part of the deal in working things out?

    The Confederate flag is just symbolic of Southern Nationalism.
    That's what we have.
    Why does there need to be Southern Nationalism? Do we need US pride, Southern pride, state pride, city pride, and neighborhood pride too? And way to define the argument, by the way. Nice try in dancing the issue, but let's be clear, no matter how you try to paint their intentions, the intentions were to keep slavery. I love that debate tactic, though, it was impressive. "It's not like they liked slavery, I mean yes, a big reason they seceded was because they wanted to keep slavery, but it's not like they enjoyed it or anything."

    That's good. Well played, sir.

  6. #176
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 08:33 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,850
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The core principle behind the war was not "slavery is good," it was "the federal government has exceeded it's lawful authority."
    ...by telling us what we can't do with black people.

    The core principle behind the war was absolutely that slavery is good. If the South didn't think slavery was necessary to their economy and standard of living, the Civil War would never have happened.

    Whether or not it was in relation to, slavery, etc, is immaterial.
    It is completely material. That is like saying it is ok to be proud of waving a Nazi flag because that just means you love Germany. What they did to the Jews is immaterial.

    To be clear, I'm not comparing southerners to Nazis.
    Last edited by Cameron; 11-12-11 at 06:25 PM.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  7. #177
    Student Zona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Arizona. Sorry.
    Last Seen
    12-12-11 @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    181

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    People have the right to do and say and express themselves however they wish. We should not be banning anything as long as it doesn't infringe on the safety, property, or wellbeing of others.

    If someone wishes to display the confederate flag, or pray to the east, or espouse communist politics- this is their privelege, whether it is connected to their cultural traditions and heritage, or because they are predjudiced, or for whatever reason they wish. It is their right. THat's what is good about America. That's what's patriotic.
    You would have had a heart attack if you saw that guy carrying a confederate flag protesting the ground zero mosque then.....lol
    Last edited by Zona; 11-12-11 at 06:26 PM.
    Obama is guaranteed a win in 2012. If you dont agree with me, name who will beat him and why.

  8. #178
    Student Zona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Arizona. Sorry.
    Last Seen
    12-12-11 @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    181

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Josie View Post
    No, it's simply a historical flag.
    In history, what does it portray? Why are you being a child here?
    Obama is guaranteed a win in 2012. If you dont agree with me, name who will beat him and why.

  9. #179
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Why does there need to be Southern Nationalism? Do we need US pride, Southern pride, state pride, city pride, and neighborhood pride too? And way to define the argument, by the way. Nice try in dancing the issue, but let's be clear, no matter how you try to paint their intentions, the intentions were to keep slavery. I love that debate tactic, though, it was impressive. "It's not like they liked slavery, I mean yes, a big reason they seceded was because they wanted to keep slavery, but it's not like they enjoyed it or anything."

    That's good. Well played, sir.
    Because a super national government, like that of the U.S. can not possibly represent all the interests of it's citizens.
    I've never been in favor of the U.S. government, as it is.

    I didn't dance around anything, I addressed it directly.
    The core principle was, the feds overstepped their authority.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #180
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    ...by telling us what we can't do with black people.

    The core principle behind the war was absolutely that slavery is good. If the South didn't think slavery was necessary to their economy and standard of living, the Civil War would never have happened.

    It is completely material. That is like saying it is ok to be proud of waving a Nazi flag because that just means you love Germany. What they did to the Jews is immaterial.

    To be clear, I'm not comparing southerners to Nazis.
    Depends, what if someone liked the organization of other beliefs behind the Nazi's, but detested the killing of Jews.
    What would be appropriate for them to wave?
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •