View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 176 of 183 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1751
    Educator snilloctjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    El Paso, TX USA
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 07:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    648

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    white racists believed Africans were genetically and culturally inferior, but made a fine source for manual labor. Just like mules and donkeys.
    Based on some of the arguments in this thread that belief is alive and well - but it isn't racist in the least.
    Silent sobs
    Invisible tears
    Life enveloped
    in unspoken fears.

  2. #1752
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by snilloctjc View Post
    Based on some of the arguments in this thread that belief is alive and well - but it isn't racist in the least.
    sure it is.

  3. #1753
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    05-25-18 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,342

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    This is different argument from the one I'm making. Also, you seem to be suggesting that some traders didn't think Africans were inferior. This is just factually incorrect.
    If it is factually incorrect.... then you shall provide the facts that make it that way, yes/no?

    So, blacks were so inferior that crackers Purchased their slaves from other blacks instead of just taking them, and then taking the sellers too.............. You are going to have a hard time convincing me that this is so.
    Last edited by Caine; 11-28-11 at 02:42 PM.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #1754
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    If it is factually incorrect.... then you shall provide the facts that make it that way, yes/no?

    So, blacks were so inferior that crackers Purchased their slaves from other blacks instead of just taking them, and then taking the sellers too.............. You are going to have a hard time convincing me that this is so.
    so white slave-traders didn't consider blacks to be inferior, because they bought black slaves from other blacks?

    how does this work?

  5. #1755
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    05-25-18 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,342

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    so white slave-traders didn't consider blacks to be inferior, because they bought black slaves from other blacks?

    how does this work?
    You didn't answer my question first....

    Why didn't these white slave traders just kill or capture the people they were buying their slaves from, if blacks were so "naturally inferior"??

    Why purchase something when you can take it?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #1756
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    You didn't answer my question first....

    Why didn't these white slave traders just kill or capture the people they were buying their slaves from, if blacks were so "naturally inferior"??

    Why purchase something when you can take it?
    cause by actually purchasing them from slave-traders in Africa, they were able to get millions.

    if they simply grabbed local black folks, they wouldn't have gotten away with it for long.

  7. #1757
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 03:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    You are going to have a hard time convincing me that this is so.
    The problem is that you are changing my argument. My argument, as you would see by reading my actual words, is that many Americans viewed Africans as inferior to them. You've set me up so I have to substantiate the claim that those assumptions of inferiority were so strong that Americans would have not even purchased slaves from other Africans. I never made that claim, you did. So if you want to address my actual argument (the underlined part), say so, but don't think I'm going to let you drag me into substantiating a claim I haven't made.

  8. #1758
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    05-25-18 @ 10:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,342

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    The problem is that you are changing my argument. My argument, as you would see by reading my actual words, is that many Americans viewed Africans as inferior to them. You've set me up so I have to substantiate the claim that those assumptions of inferiority were so strong that Americans would have not even purchased slaves from other Africans. I never made that claim, you did. So if you want to address my actual argument (the underlined part), say so, but don't think I'm going to let you drag me into substantiating a claim I haven't made.
    You said something was factually incorrect. I need those facts.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #1759
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,681

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    The problem is that you are changing my argument. My argument, as you would see by reading my actual words, is that many Americans viewed Africans as inferior to them. You've set me up so I have to substantiate the claim that those assumptions of inferiority were so strong that Americans would have not even purchased slaves from other Africans. I never made that claim, you did. So if you want to address my actual argument (the underlined part), say so, but don't think I'm going to let you drag me into substantiating a claim I haven't made.
    Of course many American viewed Africans as inferior to them. The same can be said of any culture when viewing a differing one. The real issue is how does this real issue make the Confederate Flag a symbol of racism, slavery and treason? The same argument can be made that many Southerners did not view Africans as inferior to them. When you can show that this fact is false then you can make the sweeping claim that the CF is a symbol of racism, slavery and treason. Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

  10. #1760
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    67,681

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    cause by actually purchasing them from slave-traders in Africa, they were able to get millions.

    if they simply grabbed local black folks, they wouldn't have gotten away with it for long.
    Oh? Why? The African tribesmen had a chance of standing up to the British Army?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'm sexist and hypocritical, lol:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •