View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 173 of 183 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1721
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    You do realize that Blackdog agrees with my point on this right? So include him in your list. Or is this "don't pay attention to people's arguments, just look at their lean and insult them" day?

    The fact is that you keep trying to use African slavery as proof that American slavery did not start out as racist. While the argument can be made that American slavery was not initially racist, African slavery is not proof for that argument. I've already explained why, but you clearly have decided that in spite of the fact I'm making the same argument as another poster, my lean means it has no validity.
    I agree that African slavery was not really racist and irrelevant to this argument overall, but American slavery did not start of as a "race" thing. It was simply business, and Africans fit the bill a little to perfectly. I mean Europeans pretty much thought they were superior to any of the natives they came in contact with. It had almost nothing to do with race and everything to do with culture and manifest destiny. Race did not play any real part until it came to justifying continuing slavery later, much later.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 11-27-11 at 07:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #1722
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I agree that African slavery was not really racist and irrelevant to this argument overall,
    This is the only part I was claiming you agree with. Sorry if it came across otherwise.

    but American slavery did not start of as a "race" thing. It was simply business, and Africans fit the bill a little to perfectly. I mean Europeans pretty much thought they were superior to any of the natives they came in contact with. It had almost nothing to do with race and everything to do with culture and manifest destiny. Race did not play any real part until it came to justifying continuing slavery later, much later.
    I don't think American slavery started the "race" thing. I think the race thing already started before American slavery and the fact that Europeans fashioned themselves superior to many different types of people is part of the reason why I've taken that position. They enslaved the Slavs because they thought they were inferior and they enslaved Native Americans and others because they thought those groups were inferior. Europeans/Americans (mostly) enslaved people from populations that they perceived as inferior to their own - Africans were one of those groups. This assumption of inferiority was a part who Americans chose to enslave - sometimes the assumption was based solely on religion, sometimes on culture, sometimes on race and with Africans, on a combination of all three.

  3. #1723
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Appeal to Popularity. A Logical Fallacy. A Bunk Argument.
    Fail again. I'm not arguing I'm correct because Blackdog agrees - which is what appeal to popularity means. I'm pointing out that he's chosen to single out me for making the same argument that another poster has. You have the absolute worst reading comprehension I have seen on this board.

  4. #1724
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You are awefully hung up on "lists" about who matters...
    I don't know what this means. But given your record, I'm going to assume it's a fail.

  5. #1725
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    And that argument will work great if you are ever in court.
    This is the sum of your contribution to the thread: Hey, TPD, here's an argument you made 100 pages ago, but I'm going to accuse you of stealing it from me and then criticize you even though I agree with you.

  6. #1726
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    This is the only part I was claiming you agree with. Sorry if it came across otherwise.
    Nope, no problem. The after stuff was just getting involved, lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I don't think American slavery started the "race" thing. I think the race thing already started before American slavery and the fact that Europeans fashioned themselves superior to many different types of people is part of the reason why I've taken that position. They enslaved the Slavs because they thought they were inferior and they enslaved Native Americans and others because they thought those groups were inferior. Europeans/Americans (mostly) enslaved people from populations that they perceived as inferior to their own - Africans were one of those groups. This assumption of inferiority was a part who Americans chose to enslave - sometimes the assumption was based solely on religion, sometimes on culture, sometimes on race and with Africans, on a combination of all three.
    I have to disagree. Historical precedent says otherwise.

    So you have a good night.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 11-27-11 at 09:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #1727
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I made a neutral comment that you decided to challenge. Then, out of the blue, you posted and insulting comment about me to another person without provocation. You are a liar and as far as i can tell, merely projecting your faltering qualities onto me. This is not the first time that I have encountered a person that acts like you. It is fairly apparent where the real issue lies.

    Continue to ignore the facts all you like...
    If only that were true.

  8. #1728
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I have to disagree. Historical precedent says otherwise.

    So you have a good night.
    I have to disagree as well. The fact that Europeans viewed the majority of those who they enslaved as inferior and that the assumption of African inferiority specifically was well documented during the era in question supports my argument.

    So you have a good night too.

  9. #1729
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,933

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Fail again. I'm not arguing I'm correct because Blackdog agrees - which is what appeal to popularity means. I'm pointing out that he's chosen to single out me for making the same argument that another poster has. .
    No fricken' duh...

    You have the absolute worst reading comprehension I have seen on this board
    Ouch... don't hurt me now.

    I don't know what this means.
    No surprise there...

    But given your record, I'm going to assume it's a fail.
    Says the guy that has had his ass handed to him repeatedly...

    ...Just look at the, "you get what you put out" ridiculousness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #1730
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,853

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Fail again. I'm not arguing I'm correct because Blackdog agrees - which is what appeal to popularity means. I'm pointing out that he's chosen to single out me for making the same argument that another poster has. You have the absolute worst reading comprehension I have seen on this board.
    I do not think that is accurate. There are others who are far worse.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •