View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 171 of 183 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1701
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    you want me to prove, that the African slave-trade was racist?

    that's like asking me to prove that the Holocaust killed millions of Jews.

    American slave holder treatment of slaves was certainly racist, much more so at the end than the beginning... but African slave trade was not racist, as evident by the larger number of African slaves being slaves right at home in Africa
    the African slave trade was domestic as well as international, don't forget that.

  2. #1702
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    American slave holder treatment of slaves was certainly racist, much more so at the end than the beginning... but African slave trade was not racist, as evident by the larger number of African slaves being slaves right at home in Africa
    the African slave trade was domestic as well as international, don't forget that.
    we didn't get slaves from Africa because we believed that black Africans were human beings, equal to white people.

    there is a reason why the USA passed a law called the "white slavery traffic act".

    Congress passes the White Slave Traffic Act, June 25, 1910 - Andrew Glass - POLITICO.com

  3. #1703
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,083

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    you want me to prove, that the African slave-trade was racist?

    that's like asking me to prove that the Holocaust killed millions of Jews.

    And all you would have to do is show some video, pictures, eye witness testimony or historical tables to show proof of the Holocaust as countless of people have done in countless of debates.

    Seriously, you are just making yourself look foolish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #1704
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    you are ignoring that black societies did, indeed, enslave other blacks.... not just captured and sold them off.. huge swaths of the populations of various african countries were ,indeed, slaves

    there's a lot more to the slavery story than racism.

    and yes, it does have significance... hell dude, Ethiopia had an estimated 2 million slaves a full 50 years after we had ended slavery here, Nigeria had roughly the same number at the same point in time... don't tell me that doesn't have significance.
    I'm not ignoring that. In fact, I said that Africans enslaved other Africans which was my point, but it doesn't have the significance that you're trying to attribute it. When people talk about "blacks enslaving other blacks", they are essentially saying "blacks enslaved their own people". No they didn't (at least not significantly). That's the point. Tribe X enslaved Tribe Y - these were not their own people.

    Saying that Africans enslaved other Africans is akin to saying Europeans enslaved other Europeans. It doesn't mean much because the slavery of those societies was based on different foundations than American slavery.

    the foundation of American slavery was not always rooted in racism either... although it certainly did manifest itself as such with the passage of time.
    hell,we had over 100 years of institutional slavery before it was racialized.
    Meh, I disagree. The inferiority of Africans was already a popular theory by the time American slavery rolled around and Europeans/Americans tended to enslave people that they deemed inferior to them whether it was Slavs, Africans or Native Americans. It doesn't make sense to say that both of those facts served no role in the foundation of American slavery.

  5. #1705
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    American slave holder treatment of slaves was certainly racist, much more so at the end than the beginning... but African slave trade was not racist, as evident by the larger number of African slaves being slaves right at home in Africa
    African slavery and American slavery do not mirror each other.

  6. #1706
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    we didn't get slaves from Africa because we believed that black Africans were human beings, equal to white people.

    there is a reason why the USA passed a law called the "white slavery traffic act".

    Congress passes the White Slave Traffic Act, June 25, 1910 - Andrew Glass - POLITICO.com
    You are using a law passed in 1910 to justify your theory on an insitution that started 250 years or so prior?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #1707
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,083

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I just explained to you that I responded to the same question you asked me when it was asked by 1-2 other posters. If answer question X when it's posed to me by other posters, but I don't answer question X when it's posed by you, the problem is you. It's not that I'm "afraid" of the question...since I...answered the question, LOL.
    Look, it is simply disingenuous to say, "I already answered that question, go look for it" when debating a person one on one. You and I were debating. I am not reading every post. I have a life. Who reads every post? That, and you didn't even tell me "which" post... just go look, I already answered it. In the past I would have, that is until I realized that too many people lie and it is a waste of time looking for non-existent answers.

    Meh, I welcome you to read my posts in this part of the thread because every argument I put in the one we're currently talking about was in several individual posts by me yesterday. I essentially just put them altogether. Those are in this thread for you to read so it's pretty clear that you're just living up to your pattern of making comments about people before actually reading what they say.
    I see you have completely ignored the fact that I posted how it was you that started with the insults, out of the blue, mind you, and that all of your "you get what you put out" crap is utter stupidity. I can see why you did, it is just pretty low. The patterns are clear indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #1708
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    ...Seriously, you are just making yourself look foolish.
    no my friend, arguing that the enslavement of millions of black Africans in the USA was not racist, is what is foolish.

  9. #1709
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    we didn't get slaves from Africa because we believed that black Africans were human beings, equal to white people.

    there is a reason why the USA passed a law called the "white slavery traffic act".

    Congress passes the White Slave Traffic Act, June 25, 1910 - Andrew Glass - POLITICO.com
    that law, passed in 1910, has absolutely nothing to do with the African slave trade.

    is this going to be another discussion where you refuse to acknowledge anything outside of your limited base of knowledge?.. let me know , so i can decide how best to continue.

  10. #1710
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,083

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Meh, I disagree. The inferiority of Africans was already a popular theory by the time American slavery rolled around and Europeans/Americans tended to enslave people that they deemed inferior to them whether it was Slavs, Africans or Native Americans. It doesn't make sense to say that both of those facts served no role in the foundation of American slavery.
    I posted direct evidence that initially inferiority had nothing to do with the slave trade. It was not until the indentured servant issue blew up that anything of the sort began to occur. You ignored that too... well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •