View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 169 of 183 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,690 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1681
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Because the historical fact that I posted would somehow distort your preconcieved ideas and burst your bubble... that's why....
    unless it acknowledges that the African slave-trade was fundamentally racist, than it is not factual.

    arguing that the enslavement of millions of Africans, had nothing to do with slavery, is historical revisionism.
    Last edited by Thunder; 11-27-11 at 05:19 PM.

  2. #1682
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    yes, I have not read the article you posted.

    why? because its now simply historical FACT, that racism and the African slave-trade were connected with glue.
    Wow.... So why are you still participating in this thread if you are just going to.......

    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #1683
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    unless it acknowledges that the African slave-trade was fundamentally racist, than it is not factual.

    arguing that the enslavement of millions of Africans, had nothing to do with slavery, is historical revisionism.
    So if it doesn't fit with your opinion then it isn't factually accurate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #1684
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    So if it doesn't fit with your opinion then it isn't factually accurate?
    oh, its not my opinion that the African slave-trade was racist.

    its a fact.

  5. #1685
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    You're getting into some dangerous territory here.
    Oh no! I am racist against, myself!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    First of all, the word "race" is a social construct. Always has been, always will be. "Ethnicity" is the term you're looking for in your pseudoscientific analysis.
    You have got to be kidding me. You know what I mean and I don't care as "a rose by any other name."

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Second, any tiny differences between typical genetic makeup of people of African descent and European descent is vastly outweighed by what they have in common. That's why we are not classified into various subspecies.
    What the hell does "subspecies" and our "similarities" have to do with my statements? Nothing. The "Negro" has genetic differences from the "Caucasoid" and the "Mongoloid" "ethnicity." <--- Oh LMAO! PC gone mad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Third, different ethnicities have interbred, blurring the lines between them. This isn't just a recent phenomenon; there's a reason why most African-Americans have lighter skin than West Africans.
    This again has nothing to do with slavery or African genetics in the 1860's. It has nothing to do with the fact we were physically able to withstand the long hours in the field better than your average Native American, Asian or European. Which in the end contributed to blacks being in bondage whether you (in a PC tizzy) care to accept the truth or not.

    So far you got nothing man. A lot of hot air backed up by unimportant fallacy arguments that do not apply.

    Need to up your game man.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 11-27-11 at 05:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #1686
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    You think that I take you seriously?
    So stop responding to me.

    word games
    How is it a word game to point out that I already answered a question that you accused me of being afraid to answer?

    You tweaked your argument...
    If by "tweaked", you mean "wrote it out in a more detailed and organized fashion", then yes.

  7. #1687
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Honestly, arguing that the enslavement of millions of black Africans has nothing to do with white supremacy & racism, is just another example of historical revisionism coming from the mouths of those defending the Confederacy.
    while i do believe that our foray with slavery is certainly tied at the hip with racism,... slavery and racism, as institutions, are not inextricably linked.
    one might even argue that slavery is a cause of people believing that blacks were inferior...by that i mean, those whom would allow themselves to be exploited on such a large scale would lend itself to believing those folks are inferior and weak... not sure if i buy it, but it can be argued nonetheless.

    we need not forget that it was blacks who enslaved other blacks who were then sold off.... and i'm quite certain they were not compelled to do so by racism.
    I do happen to believe that the economic agenda of slavery overrides the racist agenda of slavery all throughout history.

  8. #1688
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Honestly, arguing that the enslavement of millions of black Africans has nothing to do with white supremacy & racism, is just another example of historical revisionism coming from the mouths of those defending the Confederacy.
    Race is a modern idea - it hasn't always been with us. In ancient times, language, religion, status, and class distinctions were more important than physical appearance. In America, a set of specific historical circumstances led to the world's first race-based slave system.

    The concept of race did not originate with science. On the contrary, science emerged in the late 18th century and helped validate existing racial ideas and "prove" a natural hierarchy of groups. Throughout our history, the search for racial differences has been fueled by preconceived notions of inferiority and superiority. Even today, scientists are influenced by their social context.

    Were Africans enslaved because they were thought to be inferior?

    In colonial America, Africans weren't enslaved because they were thought to be inferior. On the contrary, they were valued for their skill as farmers and desired for their labor. Planters had previously tried enslaving Native Americans, but many escaped and hid among neighboring tribes or were stricken by diseases brought to the New World by Europeans.

    Ideas of racial inferiority have been institutionalized - both explicitly and implicitly - within our laws, government, and public policies. Not surprisingly, racial definitions have also changed over time, depending on the political context. They have also been arbitrary and inconsistent from group to group.

    Mexicans, for example, were classified as white until 1930, when nativists lobbied successfully for them to be classified separately in order to target them for discrimination and emphasize their distinctness from whites. Historically, African Americans in the Jim Crow South were classified according to "blood" ancestry, but the amount (one quarter, one sixteenth, one drop) varied from state to state, which meant that, as historian James Horton points out, "you could cross a state line and literally, legally change race."

    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  9. #1689
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    oh, its not my opinion that the African slave-trade was racist.

    its a fact.
    Then prove it. That is what a debate is about. Nobody gives a squirel **** about your opinion...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #1690
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    we need not forget that it was blacks who enslaved other blacks who were then sold off.... and i'm quite certain they were not compelled to do so by racism.
    .
    People always bring this up, but the "blacks enslaving blacks" thing doesn't have the significance that many claim it does. Africans weren't "enslaving their own" as people like to say. For the most part, African slavery was about doing something with prisoners of war and members of enemy tribes/societies. This practice was common throughout history in almost every civilization to a certain extent.

    This, however, was not at all the foundation of American slavery nor did the relationship between enemy tribes/societies mirror the relationship of the white slave master and the black slave or the American master and the African slave.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •