View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 168 of 183 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1671
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,906

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    so African slavery had nothing to do with racism?

    that's like arguing the Holocaust had nothing to do with feelings of racial superiority.
    Apparently you did not read the article that I posted. Until you do there is really nothing to debate...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #1672
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    As I have just posted... this is EXACTLY what he did to me in the first place. Actually, this might be the third time. What a hypocritical whiner... Pathetic.
    LOL, you obviously didn't read my response to apdst's post, so I'll repost it for you:

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    No, not complaining. If I personally attack someone, I fully expect them to not take my conversation seriously anymore since when I start attacks, I've ended all attempts at serious discussion. I have the same rule with other people. When the attacks start, the serious discussion stops.
    It's really embarrassing that you continually post without reading the thread.

  3. #1673
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Suuure, and the fact that it shoots holes in your logic is not the real reason.

    Well done sir!
    This is just another example of you asking me a question that I was already asked by someone else and responded to and then accusing me of not responding to because "it shoots holes in my logic". LOL. Apdst and I think Caine also asked me the same/similar question in this same conversation, if I was afraid to answer it then I wouldn't haven't answered it then.

    Stop embarrassing yourself.

  4. #1674
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Apparently you did not read the article that I posted. Until you do there is really nothing to debate...
    yes, I have not read the article you posted.

    why? because its now simply historical FACT, that racism and the African slave-trade were connected with glue.

  5. #1675
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    There have been a lot of posts since I left yesterday, so I'll just answer the general question of the posts directed at me: Why do I think that "racism" was a factor in the decision to enslave Africans even when I also believe that other factors like location and money factored in?

    Answer: First, much of the literature during the time, scientific and otherwise, posited the inferiority of Africans because of their skin color, their culture and their non-Christianity. This means that the inferiority of Africans was already in the consciousness of Europeans and Americans at the start of the the transatlantic slave trade. Second, the English and Americans tended to only enslave people from societies that deemed inferior to their own: Native Americans, Slavs, etc.. While some Englishmen were also enslaved, they were not nearly at the levels of Africans and Native Americans. Consequently, it's clear that the "race" played a role in determining who was low enough to be enslaved.

    * I put "race" in quotations marks since the divisions weren't articulated as "race" during the times we're talking about.

  6. #1676
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Honestly, arguing that the enslavement of millions of black Africans has nothing to do with white supremacy & racism, is just another example of historical revisionism coming from the mouths of those defending the Confederacy.

  7. #1677
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,906

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    LOL, you obviously didn't read my response to apdst's post, so I'll repost it for you:



    It's really embarrassing that you continually post without reading the thread.

    Why would I read your post to apdst? LOL! Whatever buddy... You think that I take you seriously? I don't warn people that I don't take them seriously... I just simply lose respect for the and it is up to them to figure the intent of my posts.

    This is just another example of you asking me a question that I was already asked by someone else and responded to and then accusing me of not responding to because "it shoots holes in my logic". LOL. Apdst and I think Caine also asked me the same/similar question in this same conversation, if I was afraid to answer it then I wouldn't haven't answered it then.

    Stop embarrassing yourself.
    You are a piece of work. I literally haven't had anybody try to play such pathetic little word games like this with 8 year old logic since... well, I was probably 8 years old.

    There have been a lot of posts since I left yesterday, so I'll just answer the general question of the posts directed at me: Why do I think that "racism" was a factor in the decision to enslave Africans even when I also believe that other factors like location and money factored in?

    Answer: First, much of the literature during the time, scientific and otherwise, posited the inferiority of Africans because of their skin color, their culture and their non-Christianity. This means that the inferiority of Africans was already in the consciousness of Europeans and Americans at the start of the the transatlantic slave trade. Second, the English and Americans tended to only enslave people from societies that deemed inferior to their own: Native Americans, Slavs, etc.. While some Englishmen were also enslaved, they were not nearly at the levels of Africans and Native Americans. Consequently, it's clear that the "race" played a role in determining who was low enough to be enslaved.

    * I put "race" in quotations marks since the divisions weren't articulated as "race" during the times we're talking about.
    You tweaked your argument...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #1678
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Don't try to sweep this under the rug. Even if racism wasn't the major fuel for what got us into slavery of blacks, it was without question the primary fuel for keeping the South in it.
    You are so clueless about slavery.
    The main reason for keeping the south in it was an AGRICULTURE BASED ECONOMY. Even today, Agriculture finds the dirt cheapest illegal immigrant labor to do its work. The north didn't have an agriculture based economy. The folks in the north were still about equally as racist as those in the south.



    You just answered my question. If "common sense economics" means enslaving an entire group of people, and that's the sole moral justification required for that slavery, then something is fundamentally wrong with that on a moral level.
    Yes, there is. However, its not how they thought ONE-HUNDRED AND FIFTY YEARS AGO. You have to view this in historical perspective. You can't apply modern moral principles to history spanning over a century and a half ago.




    Calm down. I'm simply critiquing what you said. I do agree that Africans' tribal religions did factor into racism against them, but it wasn't the sole criterion by any stretch.
    OMFG You still don't get it.



    Even if you meant this as sarcasm, this was very much part of the justification used for enslaving blacks.
    Dude... It doesn't matter WHO bought them. They were up for sale by the conquering tribe. Which means if they were bought by whites, they surely would have been bought by the Arab nations who were ALSO involved in slave purchases.



    The scale of slavery as we know it didn't really get rolling until after the Revolution. BTW, the northern states had outlawed slavery within a few decades after the Revolution. What a shame the South didn't come on board.
    Hard to imagine an industrial economy that didn't have the need for MANY hands in hard conditions outlawed slavery while the agricultural economy that DID (and still does) have the need for many hands, working hard conditions, and doing it cheap as to maximize profits (and at the same time keep the costs of their products low) would need to keep slavery around.

    Simple economics.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #1679
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,906

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    yes, I have not read the article you posted.

    why? .
    Because the historical fact that I posted would somehow distort your preconcieved ideas and burst your bubble... that's why.

    You and tPD are of like mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #1680
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    so African slavery had nothing to do with racism?

    that's like arguing the Holocaust had nothing to do with feelings of racial superiority.
    African Slavery had everything to do with economics.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •