View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 160 of 183 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1591
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,957

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Yes and no. Yes, America was founded as a nation run by white male property owners (and we broke away from one who did the same). But that wasn't the reason that America was founded. The Confederacy was formed with the primary objective of continuing a slavery-based economy.
    I agree... my only point in agreeing with Caine was that the Colonies were racist to it's core, practicing slavery and acting treasonous towards mother country: England. I am not saying that they were exactly the same and I never have.

    Which is why I agreed with an earlier post that the South needs a new flag to stand for not pride and not prejudice. Honestly, if it weren't for the damn prejudice, the South can be a pretty cool place. (Well not in the summer time. )
    Hot and sweaty as Hades... yeah. I agree again. They should get a new flag. I don't think that that means that many Southerners and many people can't honestly view the Confederate Flag as a non-racist non-slavery wanting non-treasonous symbol of pride for their heritage. I am Scottish in lineage and have our clan colors and pattern and love it. I am not upset that my clan attacked and killed other clans not do I view the American Flag as one of genocide even thoug htat is what our government did to the Native Americans. In short, I am not short-sighted into political correct diologue as at least one person here is extremely guilty of.

    What gets me about people who fly the Confederate flag is not so much that they may be supporting racism, or maybe even slavery or treason. What gets me is that by flying that flag, they're making light of all of that. They're making light of all the brave men who shed blood to keep this nation whole. They're making light of the fact that eleven states betrayed their loyalty to the United States of America. And they're making light that that flag stood for an all-out defense of an oppressive, racist institution. THAT is why I hate the Confederate flag.
    That is fine. I don't disagree that this view is valid. I accept and respect your opinion. I simply think that there are other valid ways of looking at it as well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  2. #1592
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Slavery WAS about money.

    Cheap labor maximizes profits.

    The cheaper the labor, the higher the profits.
    Also many of a fortune was tied up in slaves as a capital investment.

  3. #1593
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    So we are suppose to believe that slavery had nothing to do with making African Americans a permanent under class.

    And once that bitter pill is swallowed we are then suppose to believe that Jim Crow which resulted from the withdrawal of troops from the south after the corrupt bargain of the Hayes-Tilden election had nothing to do with that either.

    And if you can stomach all that then we are really suppose to suspend disbelief and accept that Plessey v. Ferguson had nothing to do with that either.
    Three highly intelligent and well informed posters ust explained to you why it didn't. Unless you're suggesting that black folks are too weak minded to get past slavery. Not sure what you're getting at, so you may want to explain yourself, before your racist side is exposed for all to see.


    And if you can absorb all that nonsense and still retain doubt, then the terrorism of the Ku Klux Klan had nothing to do with keeping African Americans as a permanent under class either.

    Good thing the historical record is there to show all those things for what they are.
    Did I say anything about the KKK? But, while we're on the subject, let me remind you of the speech, on eugenics, that Margaret Sanger gave at a klan rally. You know her; famous Progressive; founder of Planned Parenhood.

    Oh, BTW, the rally was held in...New Jersey! Thought I would point that out, before you automatically assumed that it took place in the South, which I'm sure was only seconds away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #1594
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Dude you are ridiculous.
    Not really, but since it's clear you aren't getting the hints as to why you're post has nothing to do with this thread, I'll just post my original response to the same point brought up by someone who brought it up much earlier than you did (and who was also much more respectful than you are).

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I agree that the American flag is treasonous, which is why, had the US not won, it would be a symbol of treason if it were flown in Britain. I am not making an argument about treason in and of itself. I'm making an argument about flying a treasonous flag WITHIN the state that the treason was committed against and the irony/stupidity of that phenomenon.
    It's the same with your comment. Yes, the American and Confederate flags were flown by states with similar histories. Both had slavery, treason, racism, etc. But the American flag does not represent treason against America and it does not represent a group fighting for an economy, rights, etc. that revolved around slavery so the fact that you keep bringning up the similarities as if they mean something shows, again, that all the discussions in this thread have flown straight over your head.

    Please go away now. You're only a hot headed distraction.

  5. #1595
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Is there a reason why you always find facts so funny?
    Facts? No. That crap? Oh hell-to-the-yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #1596
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,957

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Actually, Caine's got a point, but he didn't really make it.

    Racism was an artificial construct that was put on after the fact. The absolute worst thing that could have happened to Southern elites would be if poor whites ever realized they had more in common with slaves than with the planters. So they started spreading the idea that blacks were racially inferior.

    Originally in Europe, slaves came from Eastern Europe. Thus the similarity between the word "slave" and the word "slav." When Turks took control of the Bosphorus straits, it cut off the Black Sea slave trade. So they turned to Africa.
    And if I remember correctly it was the super white Vikings that travelled down the Eastern European rivers and enslaved the Slavs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #1597
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Meh, I disagree. I've learned that it was more like "Hey, Africans are cheap, inferior, conveniently located and physically able to handle the labor, let's enslave them". You and Caine are trying to reduce slavery and it's start to money alone and that simplification is wrong.
    That's exactly what they said. The disconnect takes place when you assume that they said all that because they were black.

    They would have said the same ****, if they had been white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #1598
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Facts? No. That crap? Oh hell-to-the-yeah!
    So are you trying to argue that early Americans didn't find non-Christians savage? I like debating with you apdst. It's the easiest thing I've had to do all day and all I've done today is eat.

  9. #1599
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They would have said the same ****, if they had been white.
    But they weren't.

  10. #1600
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Slavery WAS about money.

    Cheap labor maximizes profits.

    The cheaper the labor, the higher the profits.
    Yeah, I know. I said that in my first response to you. We're talking about who was chosen to be slaves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •