View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 16 of 183 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #151
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Really? You believe that the average Nazi wanted to exterminate the Jews? And in that respect, would you not say the average Confederate believed in the institution of slavery and wanted to continue it?



    Well, my argument, since I am sure you didn't read it, was that symbols are subjective and the confederate flag today is seen by most as a symbol of slavery and the fight to keep it. Here is an opinion poll on the Confederate Flag:

    Attachment 67118133

    This is a better representation of why people still wave that ridiculous flag around:

    This poll was taken in Columbia, SC. Look at the responses from these boneheads.

    Attachment 67118134

    More than half said that the Union should have lost! And even out of that crowd, 30% of the people think the flag should not be flown anymore! That's in Columbia, SC, a place where more than half of the people think the Civil War should have been won by the south.
    A contemporary opinion poll is your research?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #152
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    No you haven't. Point out where it says that all the rights given in the constitution are optional and states can disobey it at any time.
    It does not, which is why they left the union, which at the time was not illegal according to the Constitution. You cannot answer a question with a "were does it say they can" as that is just a straw man fallacy.

    Thanks for playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  3. #153
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    I have know idea who john daily is.

    Ok, John Stewart. He's still a comedian and not an historian. I can't be expected to remember the name of every idiot in the world. I dont usually try to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #154
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I didn't put myself in their minds. I read their own words.

    "Rebel is a Sacred Name" was a popular Confederate Civil War song and in it, they revere the labels of rebel and traitor.

    Songs of the Civil War - Irwin Silber, Jerry Silverman - Google Books
    You have one unattributed song, whose writer is anonymous and you call that proof?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #155
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    For what purpose? So that you guys can continue to dance around the issue with a bunch of half-truths? No, thanks. I think everyone here understands that most confederate soldiers did not own slaves, but that is besides the point anyway. Most Nazi soldiers were not part of death camps and did not share an agenda with Hitler, but that doesn't mean the Nazi flag represents freedom of the oppression that were put on them after WWI. The Confederate flag will always represent the institution of slavery and the fight to keep it to those of us who aren't so biased as to try to find any reason to defend it.

    Try as you might, but symbols are subjective and I can bet almost anyone who has not been indoctrinated that the Confederate flag represents [insert historically incorrect data here] is reminded of the institution of slavery every time they see it. I know when I see the flag, that is literally all it reminds me of - the Civil war and the fight to keep slavery in the US. Also, again, was there something in the Daily Show you wanted to argue with, or were you just spouting rhetoric as I suspected?
    Red Herring. Unworthy of a response.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  6. #156
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    from apdst berating another poster



    remember the thread on Perry Opposes confederate license plates in the 2012 Presidential Election section of this board? remember the exchange between you an I over pages 23 - 28 in which I exposed your Mr. Grooms as a convicted murderer serving a life sentence in Indiana and now writing for Aryan supremacy and white supremacy dirtsheets who was one of your main sources in info about slavery?

    And your repeated failure to back up your claim about 14 states having state wide referendums on secession instead only coming up with three?

    And you dare to raise either the issue of racism or credibility to another poster!!!!
    Stop tarding up good threads with your own personal grudge-match agendas. Take it to the basement.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  7. #157
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ok, John Stewart. He's still a comedian and not an historian. I can't be expected to remember the name of every idiot in the world. I dont usually try to.
    Actually John stewart is the black version of green lantern.


    John Stewart

    Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?-jon-stewart-daily-show-jpg

    Jon stewart


    You failed again.

    Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?-double-fail-demotivational-poster-1249027835-jpg

  8. #158
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You just can't get over that spanking. Can you?

    I can appreciate how you feel; you got all those pieces of paper telling everyone that you're smarter than the rest of us and I'm sure you paid some serious jack to get them and you're left lieing face down in the gutter by a truck driver from Louisiana with a high school diploma.
    Spanking!?!?!?!?! It was YOU who got your ass kicked from one end of the land to the other when you failed to support your lies about American history. You did not get a spanking - you got a total beat down. You were trashed and smashed - flushed and crushed - left without a shred of dignity or credibility remaining. As to being left face down by a high school diploma, with the so called knowledge you have, you would have failed by American History course probably being the last in the class.

    There are times when I read your posts and I have to conclude you live in your own world which is separate and different from the rest of humanity. This proves it.

    You write as if it was I who made a claim about history and could not substantiate it. Not only are you ignorant about history making claims you fail to support, and not only are you a liar stating what you will prove and then failing to do so, but now you show yourself to be the worlds worst bluffer as well.

    Everyone here can see that you have no credibility on any issues having to do with the Civil War.

    First you boast about how many people owned slaves and your only sources of support are extreme racist right wing pieces of propaganda from Aryan and white supremacist 'writers' whose claims are so wild and without any merit that even wikipedia will not use them.

    Then you claim that you can prove that eleven confederate states plus three border states held state wide referendums on secession but only can find three. Three out of fourteen is not even 25%. twice that and you still get a failing grade in American History.

    What I will do, however, prove that all 11 Confederate states and 3 border states had state wide referendums on secession.
    And the final straw is the nerve and gall you have in attempting to lecture other better informed people here about something which you have proven beyond any doubt that you lack one iota of credibility about.

    Amazing. At least it was the first time. Now, its simply pathetic.
    Last edited by haymarket; 11-12-11 at 03:23 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #159
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    A contemporary opinion poll is your research?
    As if you have ever done any research on any subject. Again, a flag is a symbol, and symbols are relative, so opinion is large issue. If a flag serves to remind a substantial portion of the population of slavery and war, then that's what it reminds them of and that's what the flag means to them. You can search for as many other excuses for the war as you want, but it doesn't change the fact that the flag is offensive to many. Not that you would give a ****, though. There are very few people on this board who have shown a willingness to let logic fly out of the window than you.

  10. #160
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Red Herring. Unworthy of a response.
    You haven't given one response that was worthy of anything other than an eye roll. I am trying to provoke some actual thought out of you, but that appears to be of no avail. If you ever want to actually debate an issue, let me know. Until then, I apologize in advance for continuing to point out the lack of thought, logic, and reason in each of your posts, and for pointing out that they contain nothing other than simple rhetoric. So:

    Can you point out anything wrong in the Daily Show clip with evidence? Can you say without a doubt that most Confederate soldiers were not fighting for the right to remain slave states (with evidence)? Thanks.
    Last edited by whysoserious; 11-12-11 at 03:28 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •