View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 157 of 183 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1561
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,527

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't agree. I'm of the opinion that the effort to make blacks a permanent under-class in America didn't start until the NAACP was formed.
    I don't agree. I think it started long before that. I think old honest Abe can explain it....

    "I will say, then, that I am not nor have ever been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the black and white races---that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with White people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the White and black races which will ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together, there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the White race." - Abraham Lincoln
    Last edited by Black Dog; 11-26-11 at 04:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #1562
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What isn't true, is that Africans were enslaved because they were black. What about the blacks that sold the blacks to the Arabs, who then sold them to the Europeans?

    The bottom line, is that if Africans had been white and their culture remained the same, they would have still been enslaved.
    Nope, race was definitely a factor just like race was a factor in how the British treated Indians when they colonized India. Race was always a factor.

    You're trying to say that white people one day up and said, "I hate niggers. Let's go to Africa and make'em slaves", and that notion is bull****.
    That's actually not what I'm saying, but I understand your need to distort people's arguments.

  3. #1563
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Africans were being called savages, inferior and many other derogatory names since the beginning of the slave trade.
    So were Native Americans.
    In these days... anyone without a religious belief in god was considered a savage....... You'll have to do better than this.

    The main theories of science during the entire history of slavery were about the inferiority of blacks/Africans.
    Im sure you have some proof of this... lol..
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #1564
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,527

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by snilloctjc View Post
    And this my friends is why I have to defend my conservative beliefs so often. Ignorance wrapped in faux intellect.
    In other words, no real argument.

    Noted.

    PS: I think it's racist that you would deny how we are different as some kind of stereo type. I know I can go out without sunblock and not burn. At 49 years old I have yet to get a sun burn. I know I have flared nostrils and thicker hair. This is all a fact. You would deny this like it does not exist.

    Well it does and that my friend is no "faux" intellect or ignorance, just a fact.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 11-26-11 at 04:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #1565
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,527

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    My point is to show that it was a despicable labor system that, while Americans at the time WERE in fact racists, the entire basis of this labor system was not founded upon racism.

    If that were the case, then they would not have ALLOWED free persons of color in the south at all.

    And the state with the most free persons of color living in it wouldn't also have 5k more slaves than free persons.
    I have to disagree.

    Abraham Lincoln as I quoted above pretty much says no.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1059979855
    Last edited by Black Dog; 11-26-11 at 04:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #1566
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I don't agree. I think it started long before that. I think old honest Abe can explain it....

    "I will say, then, that I am not nor have ever been in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the black and white races---that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with White people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the White and black races which will ever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together, there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I, as much as any other man, am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the White race." - Abraham Lincoln
    This is exactly one of the types of quotes I was referring to in my own response to Apdst's post!

    Im glad we were thinking on the same level that time
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #1567
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Nope, race was definitely a factor just like race was a factor in how the British treated Indians when they colonized India. Race was always a factor.
    You don't think religion had nothing to do with it?

    Religion is a driving factor in how folks were treated hundreds of years ago..... as well as race.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  8. #1568
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,527

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    This is exactly one of the types of quotes I was referring to in my own response to Apdst's post!

    Im glad we were thinking on the same level that time
    We agree allot. I only disagree with your one point, does not mean you are wrong for certain, I just disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #1569
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I have to disagree.

    Abraham Lincoln as I quoted above pretty much says no.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1059979855
    There is a difference between allowing people to be free, and allowing folks to have the same equal rights in the country.

    It was obvious nobody was ready to give blacks equal rights in the U.S. at that time... as I mentioned earlier from the President down they all viewed blacks as inferior.

    However,

    nothing about your "Honest" (I use that term loosely) Abe quote suggests that the institution of slavery had its pure basis in racism.

    It is my opinion that if the entire system of slavery was based on racism... we would not have seen free men of color anywhere in the south at all.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #1570
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,527

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    There is a difference between allowing people to be free, and allowing folks to have the same equal rights in the country.

    It was obvious nobody was ready to give blacks equal rights in the U.S. at that time... as I mentioned earlier from the President down they all viewed blacks as inferior.

    However,

    nothing about your "Honest" (I use that term loosely) Abe quote suggests that the institution of slavery had its pure basis in racism.

    It is my opinion that if the entire system of slavery was based on racism... we would not have seen free men of color anywhere in the south at all.
    This is the one point where I disagree. I think it was based on racism. Some were free, but without equal rights how can it be anything other than racism? It is based on racism. Abe's comments are crystal clear, he was a racist product of his time.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 11-26-11 at 04:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •