View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 156 of 183 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1551
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    No, because the scientific literature at the time argued that blacks/Africans were inferior to whites/Europeans and because blacks/Africans were depicted as an animals and called "beasts" and "lower than human" in literature and other sources whereas whites were not.
    They have a word for that. It's called, "propaganda". The Nazis used the same kind of propaganda about the Jews. Does that mean Germany is a racist culture?

    Just go find some sources at the time.
    I have a better idea. Hows-a-bout yo post a few for us. Oh, say, 10-15?
    Last edited by apdst; 11-26-11 at 04:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #1552
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Problem was, that isn't even relevant. They did have some standards of decency, just not enough of them.
    Oh? Do tell. Do explain how they would have went out of their way to pay MORE money for African slaves with some bit of historical documentation that hey did it ONLY because african slaves were black....

    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #1553
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by snilloctjc View Post
    You have got to be kidding me? You do realize you are perpetuating the same racial stereotypes that justified slavery before and during the Civil War - right?
    What stereo type? African blacks are able to withstand the sun because of where they come from and adaptation. It is a scientific fact that the thicker hair, broader nostrils and a high level of melanin in the skin are adaptations to a hot sunny dry climate.

    Quote Originally Posted by snilloctjc View Post
    I wonder what the black freemen, or slaves, or former slaves of the per and anti-bellum perood would think of such arguments?
    Considering the lack of education about scientific facts, not much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #1554
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I have no idea what the prices were for people of other races. However, I know Africans were bought for many reasons, not just money as you try to make it. They were also bought because of their physical ability and because they were viewed as an inferior "race", if not the most inferior race.



    You both keep trying to either take race completely out the equation or say that race only entered the equation later. This just isn't true. Africans were being called savages, inferior and many other derogatory names since the beginning of the slave trade. The main theories of science during the entire history of slavery were about the inferiority of blacks/Africans. Obviously factors other than race were a part of the story, but race was always a part of it and it increased over time.
    What isn't true, is that Africans were enslaved because they were black. What about the blacks that sold the blacks to the Arabs, who then sold them to the Europeans?

    The bottom line, is that if Africans had been white and their culture remained the same, they would have still been enslaved.

    You're trying to say that white people one day up and said, "I hate niggers. Let's go to Africa and make'em slaves", and that notion is bull****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #1555
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Not only that, Africa was the only place where people were selling their own people into slavery.
    That's not true. Native Americans sold other native Americans into slavery. I'm also quite certain that Europeans and Asians sold fellow Europeans and Asians into slavery. However, in the cases of all four groups (Africans, Native Americans, Europeans and Asians), they weren't ever really selling their "own people" into slavery. They were usually selling prisoners of war and members of other tribes, groups and populations.

  6. #1556
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I understand but it's kind of hard to agree when out of roughly 360,000 blacks, 30,000 were free. It like saying well 100 people out of 100,000 survived! What great news! Hehehehe.
    My point is to show that it was a despicable labor system that, while Americans at the time WERE in fact racists, the entire basis of this labor system was not founded upon racism.

    If that were the case, then they would not have ALLOWED free persons of color in the south at all.

    And the state with the most free persons of color living in it wouldn't also have 5k more slaves than free persons.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #1557
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    That's not true. Native Americans sold other native Americans into slavery. I'm also quite certain that Europeans and Asians sold fellow Europeans and Asians into slavery. However, in the cases of all four groups (Africans, Native Americans, Europeans and Asians), they weren't ever really selling their "own people" into slavery. They were usually selling prisoners of war and members of other tribes, groups and populations.
    Well, I'm glad you concede that it wasn't just about enslaving black folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #1558
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They have a word for that. It's called, "propaganda". The Nazis used the same kind of propaganda about the Jews. Does that mean Germany is a racist culture?
    No, it means that the Nazis believed that Jews were inferior just like those who perpetuated scientific literature about blacks being inferior believed that blacks were inferior. This is really just a simple fact apdst. The common belief at the time was that Africans were inferior. I'm constantly surprised at the lengths you'll go to erase the racist history of the United States.

    I have a better idea. Hows-a-bout yo post a few for us. Oh, say, 10-15?
    Why would I post something when you just told me you won't believe it anyway? If you were really interested in learning you can easily find the info for yourself.

  9. #1559
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I don't agree. I'm of the opinion that the effort to make blacks a permanent under-class in America didn't start until the NAACP was formed.
    I disagree with that.

    Im pretty certain that everyone from the President down in American in the 1860s (Yes. I mean the great and noble and widely respected Abraham Lincoln... who was still a racist) didn't view, or desire to view blacks with the same level of equal treatment as whites.... not yet..
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #1560
    Educator snilloctjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    El Paso, TX USA
    Last Seen
    05-04-15 @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    648

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What isn't true, is that Africans were enslaved because they were black. What about the blacks that sold the blacks to the Arabs, who then sold them to the Europeans?

    The bottom line, is that if Africans had been white and their culture remained the same, they would have still been enslaved.

    You're trying to say that white people one day up and said, "I hate niggers. Let's go to Africa and make'em slaves", and that notion is bull****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    What stereo type? African blacks are able to withstand the sun because of where they come from and adaptation. It is a scientific fact that the thicker hair, broader nostrils and a high level of melanin in the skin are adaptations to a hot sunny dry climate.



    Considering the lack of education about scientific facts, not much.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They have a word for that. It's called, "propaganda". The Nazis used the same kind of propaganda about the Jews. Does that mean Germany is a racist culture?



    I have a better idea. Hows-a-bout yo post a few for us. Oh, say, 10-15?
    And this my friends is why I have to defend my conservative beliefs so often. Ignorance wrapped in faux intellect.
    Silent sobs
    Invisible tears
    Life enveloped
    in unspoken fears.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •