View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 151 of 183 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1501
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    No argument as usual?
    I and others have addressed your point tenfold in this thread. If you want the response, look for it. Hint: The Confederate Flag and the American Flag are not the same flag. Your post is, quite honestly, ridiculous as it shows that the points being discussed in this thread are flying high over your head.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 11-24-11 at 11:18 AM.

  2. #1502
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    I and others have addressed your point tenfold in this thread. If you want the response, look for it. Hint: The Confederate Flag and the American Flag are not the same flag. Your post is, quite honestly, ridiculous as it shows that the points being discussed in this thread are flying high over your head.
    I find it hard to believe that anybody with a average IQ would not understand that the issue is not about if the flags are identical but that the flags, on some levels, represent the same things at certain points in their existence.

    WHOOOSH!! Seriously... un****ingbelievable!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  3. #1503
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    Well now you've brought up something that we can actually debate. There are similarities and differences between the formation of America and the formation of the Confederacy. But I believe that the motives for forming the Confederacy were far, far more sinister. That is a major reason why I have taken the stance that I have.
    Finally someone with some common sense! There are similarities and differences between the formation of America and the formation of the Confederacy. I agree.

    The motives for forming the Confederacy were far, far more sinister. I agree.

    That being said, your second paragraph is a strawman. Slavery hardly entered the picture of why the Colonies wanted to secede from Britain.
    I have repeeatedly stated that it is not about why the people under the flag wanted to divert from "mother country " but what the people under the flag did in society and that is what ultimately the flag represents. It isn't that hard of a point to grasp, not directed at you but the others that can't seem to see past their own nose. Both had slavery. Both were racist. Both, to a degree, were treasonous for wanting to fight and separate. It isn't even a big point and I find it ridiculous that some can't just see that for what it is...

    It's awfully hard to argue that it's not treason.
    What is not treason? The CF? I agree. It does represent treason on some levels, moreso than the American Flag even. I think that it is also reasonable to argue that today people are not flying the flag because they want to commit treason but because they find the flag to be a cultural identity symbol. Many fly it because they are racist scumbags... but not all.

    This goes back to my original point. A symbol represents different things to different people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  4. #1504
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    I'll be glad to when the trollish comments stop.
    Show some basic understanding of how precedent is used in the court when making decisions then. I know you want to fall back on it by pretending it has more power than it actually has but by doing so it makes you look stupid. I'm guessing you have done this bit of nonsense before and got away with it because people aren't aware of the truth, but if you continue on here I will embarrass you.
    Last edited by Henrin; 11-24-11 at 06:31 PM.

  5. #1505
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,901

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I'm guessing you have done this bit of nonsense before and got away with it because people aren't aware of the truth, but if you continue on here I will embarrass you.
    Oh goodie! A first to look forward to here at Debate Politics!
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #1506
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I find it hard to believe that anybody with a average IQ would not understand that the issue is not about if the flags are identical but that the flags, on some levels, represent the same things at certain points in their existence.
    And the point still went over your head. You should be super embarrassed right now. Like I said, several people have made the same point and it's already been handled and dealt with several times by several posters. Look for the answers to your nonsense with the search function. Hint 2: This thread is about the Confederate Flag as it pertains to the current United States.
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 11-25-11 at 09:30 AM.

  7. #1507
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Finally someone with some common sense! There are similarities and differences between the formation of America and the formation of the Confederacy. I agree.

    The motives for forming the Confederacy were far, far more sinister. I agree.
    Yeah.

    I have repeeatedly stated that it is not about why the people under the flag wanted to divert from "mother country " but what the people under the flag did in society and that is what ultimately the flag represents. It isn't that hard of a point to grasp, not directed at you but the others that can't seem to see past their own nose. Both had slavery. Both were racist. Both, to a degree, were treasonous for wanting to fight and separate. It isn't even a big point and I find it ridiculous that some can't just see that for what it is...
    Yes and no. Yes, America was founded as a nation run by white male property owners (and we broke away from one who did the same). But that wasn't the reason that America was founded. The Confederacy was formed with the primary objective of continuing a slavery-based economy.

    What is not treason? The CF? I agree. It does represent treason on some levels, moreso than the American Flag even. I think that it is also reasonable to argue that today people are not flying the flag because they want to commit treason but because they find the flag to be a cultural identity symbol. Many fly it because they are racist scumbags... but not all.
    Which is why I agreed with an earlier post that the South needs a new flag to stand for not pride and not prejudice. Honestly, if it weren't for the damn prejudice, the South can be a pretty cool place. (Well not in the summer time. )

    This goes back to my original point. A symbol represents different things to different people.
    What gets me about people who fly the Confederate flag is not so much that they may be supporting racism, or maybe even slavery or treason. What gets me is that by flying that flag, they're making light of all of that. They're making light of all the brave men who shed blood to keep this nation whole. They're making light of the fact that eleven states betrayed their loyalty to the United States of America. And they're making light that that flag stood for an all-out defense of an oppressive, racist institution. THAT is why I hate the Confederate flag.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Show some basic understanding of how precedent is used in the court when making decisions then. I know you want to fall back on it by pretending it has more power than it actually has but by doing so it makes you look stupid. I'm guessing you have done this bit of nonsense before and got away with it because people aren't aware of the truth, but if you continue on here I will embarrass you.
    Usually when people make that kind of threat, it backfires on them. Just saying.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  8. #1508
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    What gets me is that by flying that flag, they're making light of all of that. They're making light of all the brave men who shed blood to keep this nation whole.
    What about those who shed their blood to stay free of political oppression from the more populous north? Many writings made at the time made it clear that the southern states knew they were a "permanent minority" in the legislature.
    They're making light of the fact that eleven states betrayed their loyalty to the United States of America.
    Sorry, but we had yet to go through the "Nationalism" movement, thus this Loyalty to the United States of America argument is moot. Back in these days it was about STATES that were United... not THE United States. Historical Perspective please....
    And they're making light that that flag stood for an all-out defense of an oppressive, racist institution. THAT is why I hate the Confederate flag.
    You can keep jumping up and down screaming racist institution.... but the institution of slavery wasn't about RACISM... it was about PROFIT. The northern folks were just as racist as the southerners..... (still are), there was just a loud movement based around the MORAL argument of owning another person.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #1509
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:00 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,901

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    While we are on opposite sides of this issue, I do think you have a valid point that racism was on both sides. While some abolitionists did indeed preach universal brotherhood, there was obvious racism all over the nation.

    Having said that, I do think that most sane people would agree that there is a difference between racism and the complete enslavement of a race of people.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #1510
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    While we are on opposite sides of this issue, I do think you have a valid point that racism was on both sides. While some abolitionists did indeed preach universal brotherhood, there was obvious racism all over the nation.

    Having said that, I do think that most sane people would agree that there is a difference between racism and the complete enslavement of a race of people.
    Slaves were property because they were profitable.... not because they were black.

    North Carolina: 14,000 slave owners..... 10,000 free black men.....


    How could such a (EVIL RACIST RACIST RACIST) place allow free black men in nearly the same numbers as slave owners?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •