View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 15 of 183 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #141
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    For what purpose? So that you guys can continue to dance around the issue with a bunch of half-truths? No, thanks. I think everyone here understands that most confederate soldiers did not own slaves, but that is besides the point anyway. Most Nazi soldiers were not part of death camps and did not share an agenda with Hitler, but that doesn't mean the Nazi flag represents freedom of the oppression that were put on them after WWI. The Confederate flag will always represent the institution of slavery and the fight to keep it to those of us who aren't so biased as to try to find any reason to defend it.

    Try as you might, but symbols are subjective and I can bet almost anyone who has not been indoctrinated that the Confederate flag represents [insert historically incorrect data here] is reminded of the institution of slavery every time they see it. I know when I see the flag, that is literally all it reminds me of - the Civil war and the fight to keep slavery in the US. Also, again, was there something in the Daily Show you wanted to argue with, or were you just spouting rhetoric as I suspected?

    Actually, they did, but let's steer clear of the half truths. Right?

    You know you have hit a new low when you are citing apdst as research "because you are too lazy".
    Let's see your research. I know I'm wasting my breath and you don't have anything, but I felt the need to call you on it.

    BTW, good Godwin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #142
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    For what purpose? So that you guys can continue to dance around the issue with a bunch of half-truths? No, thanks. I think everyone here understands that most confederate soldiers did not own slaves, but that is besides the point anyway. Most Nazi soldiers were not part of death camps and did not share an agenda with Hitler, but that doesn't mean the Nazi flag represents freedom of the oppression that were put on them after WWI. The Confederate flag will always represent the institution of slavery and the fight to keep it to those of us who aren't so biased as to try to find any reason to defend it.

    Try as you might, but symbols are subjective and I can bet almost anyone who has not been indoctrinated that the Confederate flag represents [insert historically incorrect data here] is reminded of the institution of slavery every time they see it. I know when I see the flag, that is literally all it reminds me of - the Civil war and the fight to keep slavery in the US. Also, again, was there something in the Daily Show you wanted to argue with, or were you just spouting rhetoric as I suspected?

    *Edit to add:

    You know you have hit a new low when you are citing apdst as research "because you are too lazy".
    That daily show clip was correct. Just because he doesn't agree with it he dismisses it.

  3. #143
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    That daily show clip was correct. Just because he doesn't agree with it he dismisses it.
    I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that John Daily is a ****ing comedian and not an historian.

    A word to the wise: don't get your historical education from a comedian. That has fail written all over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #144
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to think that Civil War was entirely about slavery, or that the average Southern soldier was fighting FOR slavery.

    Nothing could be further from the truth. Slavery was ONE issue, and yes ONE causal factor, but it was far from being the only one. It is highly arguable if it was even a primary cause, except in the sense that it affected the economy of the South and drove some of the resistance to Federal taxes/tariffs/trade restrictions that were actually key causes of the war.
    It doesn't need to be the sole reason. It's a reason, and a reason that cannot be divorced from the whole package. Same with the notions of state sovereignty, and with armed rebellion against the United States. All of these are part of what the Confederacy stood for. And you cannot have part of this package without the rest, else it wouldn't be the Confederacy anymore. Protecting slavery was part of it. Rebelling was part of it. Being angry about the northerner candidate being lawfully elected by the people was part of it, too.

    Whatever positive things someone might feel about the Confederacy, the bad must be taken with the good. And the bad, in this case, involved setting up a different government than the United States, with a whole different constitution, and levying war on the US. These were acts of treason. They wouldn't be, legally, if the Confederacy had won and were a sovereign nation. But those who support the Confederacy in the US are American citizens, who are advocating loyalty to and supremacy for another country.

    How does that work?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #145
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by whysoserious View Post
    Oh, a battlefield emblem that was used to rally Confederate soldiers in a war to continue slavery? I thought it was a flag that represented peaceful secession, but apparently it more represents a rallying flag to kill as many Union soldiers as possible in the effort to continue slavery and count blacks as less property on taxes (while still using them as population for representative purposes). Now that you put it that way, I see your point.
    That still goes on, today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #146
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by theplaydrive View Post
    Also, some Confederates also considered themselves rebels and traitors, so double fail as usual.
    Really? Traitors? It's never smart to try to put yourself in the minds of people who've been dead for a couple hundred years. It's not admissible in court.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #147
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm sure it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that John Daily is a ****ing comedian and not an historian.

    A word to the wise: don't get your historical education from a comedian. That has fail written all over it.
    I have know idea who john daily is.

    Last edited by 99percenter; 11-12-11 at 01:44 PM.

  8. #148
    Sage
    whysoserious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Last Seen
    12-29-16 @ 03:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,170

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Actually, they did, but let's steer clear of the half truths. Right?
    Really? You believe that the average Nazi wanted to exterminate the Jews? And in that respect, would you not say the average Confederate believed in the institution of slavery and wanted to continue it?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Let's see your research. I know I'm wasting my breath and you don't have anything, but I felt the need to call you on it.

    BTW, good Godwin!
    Well, my argument, since I am sure you didn't read it, was that symbols are subjective and the confederate flag today is seen by most as a symbol of slavery and the fight to keep it. Here is an opinion poll on the Confederate Flag:

    Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?-civilwar-jpg

    This is a better representation of why people still wave that ridiculous flag around:

    This poll was taken in Columbia, SC. Look at the responses from these boneheads.

    Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?-racist-fuckers-jpg

    More than half said that the Union should have lost! And even out of that crowd, 30% of the people think the flag should not be flown anymore! That's in Columbia, SC, a place where more than half of the people think the Civil War should have been won by the south.
    Last edited by whysoserious; 11-12-11 at 01:46 PM.

  9. #149
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    It doesn't need to be the sole reason. It's a reason, and a reason that cannot be divorced from the whole package. Same with the notions of state sovereignty, and with armed rebellion against the United States. All of these are part of what the Confederacy stood for. And you cannot have part of this package without the rest, else it wouldn't be the Confederacy anymore. Protecting slavery was part of it. Rebelling was part of it. Being angry about the northerner candidate being lawfully elected by the people was part of it, too.

    Whatever positive things someone might feel about the Confederacy, the bad must be taken with the good. And the bad, in this case, involved setting up a different government than the United States, with a whole different constitution, and levying war on the US. These were acts of treason. They wouldn't be, legally, if the Confederacy had won and were a sovereign nation. But those who support the Confederacy in the US are American citizens, who are advocating loyalty to and supremacy for another country.

    How does that work?
    No one is trying to seperate the issue of slavery from the causes of the Civil War. We're only trying to put things in the proper perspective and illustrate that the inaccurate notion that slavery was the soul cause of the Civil War.

    We hear about the evils of secession and how terrible southers are, yet when the New Hampshire legislature authored a bill authorizing secession, the, "southers are all evil rednecks", crowd didn't seem too upset about it.

    It sucks when people view history through a politicall correct spectrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #150
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Really? Traitors? It's never smart to try to put yourself in the minds of people who've been dead for a couple hundred years. It's not admissible in court.
    I didn't put myself in their minds. I read their own words.

    "Rebel is a Sacred Name" was a popular Confederate Civil War song and in it, they revere the labels of rebel and traitor.

    Songs of the Civil War - Irwin Silber, Jerry Silverman - Google Books

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •