View Poll Results: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    36 36.73%
  • No

    56 57.14%
  • I don't know.

    6 6.12%
Page 128 of 183 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 1824

Thread: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

  1. #1271
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    hmm... I wonder what Santa is...

    he give away free stuff like no tomorrow... which makes him a Yankee .
    but the stuff he gives away is built by his own personal slave army... which makes him a confederate.

    i'll have to do more research on this rascal Santa guy.
    I'm late to the game... but can I play?

    Santa is obviously a Democrat trying to buy your votes with handouts he obtained from cheap sweat shop labor in the north pole... IMPORTED from the north pole...

    That rat bastard's operations in the north pole stole jobs from hard working, NOW unemployed, AMERICAN toy makers.....

    He is the 1%...

    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #1272
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Actually you are wrong. There was no such thing as southern land. United States had authority over all the United States including the south. The United States would have to approve withdrawal from tue union. Secession is explicitly prohibited by our constitution and therefore the CSA never existed. The South was occupying federal property.
    OMFG are you serious?

    How many times are you going to keep saying secession was explicitly prohibited without any god. damned.. proof?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #1273
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by 99percenter View Post
    Let me give you a better analogy. Say you are renting an apartment and your landlord institutes a new policy prohibiting pets. Well you disagree and you decide that you are going to claim that apartment as your own. That is illegal. If you want to keep your pet you move to an apartment that allows it. Same thing. The redneck crackers should have gone to a country where slavery was allowed. Not that there were any left. We were the last ones to abolish it. The South keeps trying to block progress.
    The states aren't RENTING their state from the federal government....

    The states have VOLUNTARILY BONDED TOGETHER to make a union..

    The states own the union, the union doesn't own the states.....
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #1274
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Didn't King George III also talk to trees? Not sure he's an authority you want to appeal to.

    He also doesn't recognize Vermont, Tennessee, etc. So if this is your appeal that all of the states are sovereign, it really doesn't do it.
    Tennessee spawned out of what WAS North Carolina at the time of the treaty of Paris...

    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #1275
    Guru
    99percenter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,076

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    The states aren't RENTING their state from the federal government....

    The states have VOLUNTARILY BONDED TOGETHER to make a union..

    The states own the union, the union doesn't own the states.....
    That's where you are wrong. we have a federation not a confederation like EU. In any dispute, the federal govt is the final authority.
    bears, bulls, white sox fan 4 life!!!

  6. #1276
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    In the sense that they are separate sovereign states, yes.

    Do you deny that North Carolina and South Carolina were independent sovereign states after the revolutionary war?

    yes, and they stopped being independent soverign states, when they ratified the Constitution and became part of the USA.

  7. #1277
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    yes, and they stopped being independent soverign states, when they ratified the Constitution and became part of the USA.
    Yes, you keep asserting that, yet offer no historical or constitutional evidence.

    Thanks for adding me to your sig, by the way. Excellent publicity. Profile visits are way up...

  8. #1278
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Centinel View Post
    Yes, you keep asserting that, yet offer no historical or constitutional evidence....
    do you honestly believe that today, in 2011.....the 50 states are really sovereign nation-states????

  9. #1279
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    See, and I don't think those regulations should be left to the states. I'm for uniformity.
    I don't think uniformity is horrible if the line is drawn permanently and at the most minimal scope it can be. Here's where uniformity starts to be a problem: Any time different regions or states have different needs, for instance the sobriety of Utah is incompatible with the good time mentality of Louisiana, the environmental needs of California and Colorado because of their high elevations are non-existant in lower areas in the deep south, etc. I am a huge proponent of "laboratories of Democracy" as the state model has been called, if something doesn't work I don't want us all to be stuck with it, and even when it does work for one populace it may not universally be acceptable.


    I understand that point and I can see it to some extent, though I do not agree. Based on the Articles and the implication of perpetuity, secession being barred seems clear.
    That could be because of our federalist/anti-federalist divide. When it comes to this issue I am a constructionist.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #1280
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Is the Confederate flag a symbol of treason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    do you honestly believe that today, in 2011.....the 50 states are really sovereign nation-states????
    No, not nation-states. As rocket88 pointed out, I was using the wrong term. In my opinion, they are simply sovereign states who have entered into a federal compact. I see no evidence of them relinquishing their sovereignty, and as I noted above, several of them specifically stated that in joining the union they were not relinquishing their sovereignty. So yes, I believe they are sovereign states.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •